Most controversial cruise opinion??

Elsammo46

The thing with the Haven for us is that it really isn’t worth the extra as we are really very happy with the standard cruise experience.

People say about the benefits of not having to queue or being away from crowds, but these things just either don’t happen or don’t matter for us. I don’t mind busy places, and we don’t tend to be in the popular areas (we don’t hang around the pool, or eat at busy times etc). Our room steward does everything we want for our room and we like making our own plans so I have no need for a concierge. I also have no wish to eat in my room.

The only thing that appeals about a suite is the bigger room, which is why the non Haven Suites on older ships work well for us. We still get butler and concierge but if you don’t ask them to do anything then they tend to leave us alone.

As I said earlier, I have no wish to be fussed over, so that is actually a negative of being in a suite/haven, although I think that we probably do get slightly better seats (more window seats etc) in restaurants, which is nice.

The one time we have stayed in the Haven (on the Pearl, so no bar/restaurant), we found ourselves spending time in tha Haven area when, in hindsight, we would probably rather have been in the main bars. If we were in a Haven with its own bar then I suspect that would be better, but I can still see myself thinking “let’s head down to a bar on the Waterfront”. When there are so many options that work well for us it seems a bit of a waste to spend thousands to add another.

Each to their own though.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tetleytea said:

Interesting--I've been eyeballing that exact tradeoff in my spending decisions.   Do I choose the Haven, or Viking River Cruise?  I honestly don't know.  While I have not always regarded NCL as a tip-top-of-the-line cruise line, I have, however, been impressed with their Owners Suites if I am sailing with a big party.   If I sail with Viking, what am I getting for that premium fare?  Really?

Viking has really good food. Probably my favorite CL. You are trading in a lot bc you lose the big attractions, like shows, rock climbing, ropes course, etc. I really like those big attractions. 

But when you price it out, Viking isn't that much more expensive if you get things like wifi, a balcony, spa passes, specialty dining, excursions, etc. Those are all included in your fare. 

Viking isn't for everyone. It's not really for me since I lose a lot of the fun attractions. It's a great product tho. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I dislike it when people who post a question or answer a question not pertaining to anything "Haven" start by saying "I'm a Haven cruiser". 

Along those lines are those who try and use their Latitudes level as some sort of trump card in a discussion.  "Well, I'm Platinum so I obviously know better than you."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Viking has really good food. Probably my favorite CL. You are trading in a lot bc you lose the big attractions, like shows, rock climbing, ropes course, etc. I really like those big attractions. 

But when you price it out, Viking isn't that much more expensive if you get things like wifi, a balcony, spa passes, specialty dining, excursions, etc. Those are all included in your fare. 

Viking isn't for everyone. It's not really for me since I lose a lot of the fun attractions. It's a great product tho. 

We've done two VRC and really enjoyed them both, but it's a different experience.  One thing we disliked was the set dinner time.  We understood the reason for it, but we prefer to eat dinner when we want to, not at 7:00 or 7:30.  And sometimes we just want to have a quiet dinner alone, not to have to sit at a table with 4-6 other people.  We usually end up eating our dinners in Aquavit.

Edited by The Shrike
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

I think this is a matter of personal perspective from my stand point. 

Above you said: "I don't want to spend my life trying to avoid arrogant jerks all day long"

Why would I put myself in a situation where I have to make to do that on VACATION?  That is my time to relax and recharge.  to enjoy my surroundings, and the food and laugh.  I have NEVER been one who liked being the center of attention.  Too much bullying as a kid directed towards me. Yes, it shaped me.  It shapes everyone. That is how we learn and grow. I can't ignore it, not in me to ignore it.  and I left it effect me as little as possible, but that takes effort.  So I distance myself from people that bully, and that I have to make an effort to be around.  That is why I apologize to everyone in the customer service industry when I have witnessed this appalling behavior.

I always remember that the only thing I can control is MY reaction to whatever is happening and the situation around me.  I am mature enough and have grown enough to know what my triggers are and how to cope and deal with them. I am also mature enough and grown enough to know better than to put myself in a situation I am not able to handle.  I deal with it enough in the real world, I don't need to deal with it on vacation. Personally, I think that is more mature coping strategy. (I actually had a lot of good counseling as a kid at an age that the lessons stick, and I am a quick study.  I was taught how to figure out what I am reacting to and WHY...Knowing that...I can adjust my response to a more affective one, rather than strictly emotion.

Again, I don't believe that everyone in the Haven are entitled jerks, nor that they are confined to the Haven.  I do believe that the entitled jerks are LOUDER than the ones that are just there to enjoy themselves and have a good time, and are OFTEN staying in the Haven.

See something, say something, do something - makes sense.  By ignoring it, we are letting it fester and grow. I dont feel that society can continue to say "just ignore it, not my problem."

I hear you. We just have different strategies dealing with stress and jerks. 

Like I said, "I don't want to spend my life trying to avoid arrogant jerks all day long or else I wouldn't be able to work at any hospital system ever." By that, I mean that I am not going to let jerks dictate where I go, vacation, or work bc I don't want to give them that much power. They are everywhere. It's not my job to teach them not to be jerks (that's the nurses' job haha. I kid....but not really....) I just ignore them. Live and let live. I agree with your statement that I can only control my own rxn.

My next question is, if the Haven has so many perceived psychological triggers, then why bid for it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Northern wanderlust said:

Full disclosure, we have never sailed in the Haven.  Actually, our very first NCL cruise is coming up in a couple of months. 

DH and I are late 30's and this will be his second cruise.  All of my previous cruises, save one on RCCL which I didn't particularly care for, and the one previous cruie DH was on were on HAL.  I only sailed on HAL because my mother works for a travel agent and that was the line that gave her good agent rates and she liked the fact that the older demographic made her feel young.  So, that's just what I'm used to.

I may be old and crotchety but I must say, I agree with what The Shrike said.  We chose NCL because it had the best itinerary that we could find for our cruise to the Med this fall.  We do not care about water slides or go cart tracks or ice skating rinks or really entertainment much at all.  If we had the kids with us or a different itinerary it might be different but it's just us and this is a very port intensive itinerary.  

I am planning to pack my suit but I would actually not be surprised if we never went in the pool at all.  I think ultimately I view cruising as a fun means of transportation to the destination rather than the destination itself.  We fall in the wine tasting/history and culture lecture category more than the pool party/belly flop competition category I guess.  I am SO looking forward to time on my balcony with a glass of wine and my book.  

I cannot wrap my head around the Haven.  I understand the concept in a way, a more luxurious experience, I guess I understand that though the Haven itself doesn't particularly appeal to our personaliites.  But if I'm paying $5,000 a person for a week long cruise then I will be on Viking or Silversea.  It sure as heck wouldn't be NCL.  Is it so you can have the luxurious experience of the ultra luxury lines combined with all the bells and whistles maybe?  If that's it then I am very happy for everyone who wants that experience that there is an option for them.

I actually don't mind eating dinner with other people.  Some nights I prefer to be alone but other nights I enjoy it.  On our last cruise we dined with a lovely couple from the UK.  I very much enjoyed our meal with them.  But, it is of course, hit or miss.

With how you like to vacation, IDK if NCL will be the best fit for you tbh. We are basically the exact opposite in terms of what makes us tick. I love NCL. IDK how you will like it. 

Keep an open mind. 

24 minutes ago, DrSea said:

With how you like to vacation, IDK if NCL will be the best fit for you tbh. We are basically the exact opposite in terms of what makes us tick. I love NCL. IDK how you will like it. 

Keep an open mind. 

From what they have said in the post you quoted, I don’t think that I’ve are a million miles from them in how we like to vacation, and NCL works really well for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Shrike said:

Along those lines are those who try and use their Latitudes level as some sort of trump card in a discussion.  "Well, I'm Platinum so I obviously know better than you."

I'm confused by this.   If they've got a high Latitudes level, isn't it likely that they really do know better?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, DrSea said:

My wife is determined to do a Viking cruise.  But I'm not a big fan of it until we exhaust all the mainstream ports on the mainstream cruise lines.   Meanwhile she's obsessed with Switzerland, while I'm obsessed with Finland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrSea said:

My next question is, if the Haven has so many perceived psychological triggers, then why bid for it?

Actually I have only bid for an upgrade once - before the last cruise - because it was for our anniversary, and bucket list destinations, and I figured WTH.

but when I win the lotto - I will pick another set of bucket list destinations, and book the haven, follow the dude/dudette with the card (that says im better than you because I'm in the Haven) at embarkation, scream "I'm platinum" (just turned on the last cruise), and demand to stay away from the commoners...

I guess I need to start buying lotto tickets???

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

The thing with the Haven for us is that it really isn’t worth the extra as we are really very happy with the standard cruise experience.

People say about the benefits of not having to queue or being away from crowds, but these things just either don’t happen or don’t matter for us. I don’t mind busy places, and we don’t tend to be in the popular areas (we don’t hang around the pool, or eat at busy times etc). Our room steward does everything we want for our room and we like making our own plans so I have no need for a concierge. I also have no wish to eat in my room.

The only thing that appeals about a suite is the bigger room, which is why the non Haven Suites on older ships work well for us. We still get butler and concierge but if you don’t ask them to do anything then they tend to leave us alone.

As I said earlier, I have no wish to be fussed over, so that is actually a negative of being in a suite/haven, although I think that we probably do get slightly better seats (more window seats etc) in restaurants, which is nice.

The one time we have stayed in the Haven (on the Pearl, so no bar/restaurant), we found ourselves spending time in tha Haven area when, in hindsight, we would probably rather have been in the main bars. If we were in a Haven with its own bar then I suspect that would be better, but I can still see myself thinking “let’s head down to a bar on the Waterfront”. When there are so many options that work well for us it seems a bit of a waste to spend thousands to add another.

Each to their own though.

you said it way better than I did...but all of this...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

From what they have said in the post you quoted, I don’t think that I’ve are a million miles from them in how we like to vacation, and NCL works really well for us.

I would say that this is a strength of NCL. It appeals to a wide audience. 

I like the water slides, ropes course, rock wall climbing, and off broadway shows. 

But if you what you consider as fun is wearing a suit, wine tasting, attending history and culture lectures, then I don't think NCL is for you. There are lines that cater toward those interests. 

Different strokes for different folks.

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

I'm confused by this.   If they've got a high Latitudes level, isn't it likely that they really do know better?

No.  After a couple of cruises there generally isn't much left to "learn".  Read the daily schedule and you know as much as most everyone else.  And the over "loyal" people who rarely stary from "their" line often know less than others who get around and appreciate differences.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

No.  After a couple of cruises there generally isn't much left to "learn".  Read the daily schedule and you know as much as most everyone else.  And the over "loyal" people who rarely stary from "their" line often know less than others who get around and appreciate differences.

I beg to differ.  We all know who the seasoned cruisers are on this forum and I, for one, greatly value their posts.  To the point, they usually don't need to start with "well, I am Platinum/Diamond/etc.", but they likely are.😎

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I beg to differ.  We all know who the seasoned cruisers are on this forum and I, for one, greatly value their posts.  To the point, they usually don't need to start with "well, I am Platinum/Diamond/etc.", but they likely are.😎

agree - You have to put your accomplishments out there to show how important you are?

I have my past and future cruises in my signature because:

a. it helps me remember WHEN I went...

b. maybe I will run into someone on here that I have cruised with before and has a fond memory to share.  (havent really changed)

c. when I joined that is what everyone else seemed to be doing, so I did (i try to blend in everywhere), and now im too lazy to change it

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Agreed.  We had a regular on the Alaska forum (won't say who, but her initials were BQ) who sailed Alaska many, many times.  Even she didn't know absolutely everything (usually it was the locals who knew something she didn't).  But she was certainly far more likely to know something you didn't than the other way around.  I appreciate her coming around to share her experience with those of us who had less experience.

It's certainly going to take a lot more than Silver tier on Norwegian before you can legitimately start comparing different Norwegian ships with each other, or spot trends on all the ships.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Too many people on this site post what they always do on their same cruise line time after time.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrsTocko said:

Actually I have only bid for an upgrade once - before the last cruise - because it was for our anniversary, and bucket list destinations, and I figured WTH.

but when I win the lotto - I will pick another set of bucket list destinations, and book the haven, follow the dude/dudette with the card (that says im better than you because I'm in the Haven) at embarkation, scream "I'm platinum" (just turned on the last cruise), and demand to stay away from the commoners...

I guess I need to start buying lotto tickets???

It sounds to me like you bid on the Haven bc you wanted to do something special for your anniversary and bucket list destination, am I wrong? 

I understand it is cost prohibitive and agree that it is excessive. I will give you that. IMHO, you are using ancillary reasons, like snobby jerks who may trigger your PTSD, to rationalize your reasoning for not being able to afford the Haven. Otherwise, why else you would try to bid for the Haven on your anniversary cruise to your bucket list destination? I don't want to be snarky with my pic or overly direct, but to me, this really is a a fox and the "sour" grapes scenario.

There is no shame in not being to afford something. But I don't think you should point to caricatures or stereotypes (however rare or common) of people who buy a certain product. That's not fair.

the-fox-and-the-grapes.jpg&ehk=vXQnix9Pm

6 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Too many people on this site post what they always do on their same cruise line time after time.  

We love alaska (have done it 4 times, and will do it again), and NCL.  the things we (DH) like about NCL is the freestyle concept.

We try and do different things in repeat ports. Except Skagway - we tend to do the same excursion there, because we enjoy it so much.  I try to be impartial when asked though, and explain what we liked or didnt like about each.  We like learning the history of the a place, and getting an overview. so that is what we go for at least the first time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

It guess it depends on the situation.  I've had someone arrogantly use that logic with me here on the forum.  My response was basically, "Well, I'm Sapphire so using your logic my opinion is obviously more informed than yours.  You may respond to me once you've got a few more sailings under your belt.  Oops, by that time I'll be Diamond and you'll be Sapphire and I'll still know more than you."

Things deteriorated from there...  😜

I've cheated by booking a number of cruises with double and triple point promos.  That makes me "smarter" in one half to one third the time. 😎 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Is it just me or is there a lot of negativity here for the Haven?  It's just another spot on the cruise ship.  Yes, it costs more, LOTS more on some cruises but you are obviously getting a lot more.  

It isn't that much higher on our upcoming cruise vs a Club balcony, which is why I upgraded.  Never been, wanted to try it out.  See what the luxury fuss is about.  Might like it, might not.  Will wait and see.  We usually only cruise once a year, so we like to make it special.  

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Is it just me or is there a lot of negativity here for the Haven?  It's just another spot on the cruise ship.  Yes, it costs more, LOTS more on some cruises but you are obviously getting a lot more.  

It isn't that much higher on our upcoming cruise vs a Club balcony, which is why I upgraded.  Never been, wanted to try it out.  See what the luxury fuss is about.  Might like it, might not.  Will wait and see.  We usually only cruise once a year, so we like to make it special.  

Agreed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Is it just me or is there a lot of negativity here for the Haven?

It's mostly just you.  

13 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

We usually only cruise once a year, so we like to make it special.  

Some folks find all cruises special, regardless of where they sleep.😎

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

We love alaska (have done it 4 times, and will do it again), and NCL.  the things we (DH) like about NCL is the freestyle concept.

We try and do different things in repeat ports. Except Skagway - we tend to do the same excursion there, because we enjoy it so much.  I try to be impartial when asked though, and explain what we liked or didnt like about each.  We like learning the history of the a place, and getting an overview. so that is what we go for at least the first time.

We skipped the train and did a van trip up to the suspension bridge in the Yukon. Several stops along the way, including the touristy "Welcome to Alaska sign" photo op.  We also had a professional nature photographer as our trip guide, she was great.  Lots of info about what it's like to live there as a seasonal employee, how the people deal with intermittent doctors on site, etc.  Didn't have to deal with the people who hog the "better side" of the train in both directions.  Similar but still different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1