Booking a new cruise while on a ship

EllieinNJ

We were on the Breakaway last month and booked 2 cruises for 2024. We got the upgrade (available all the time) and 10% off, which I understood to be a promo they were only offering until the end of June. 

• Thanks 1

We've never booked while on board. I like to do lots of research on pricing before I book. My question about those 10% discount offers while on a cruise has always been, "10% off of what?" Seems like NCL (and the other lines too) are constantly changing their "MSRP" so 10% off of an unknown number is 100% meaningless to me.

If someone has done the research and has determined that booking on board really is a better deal, I'd love to hear it, and I will consider booking while sailing next time...

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

We've never booked while on board. I like to do lots of research on pricing before I book. My question about those 10% discount offers while on a cruise has always been, "10% off of what?" Seems like NCL (and the other lines too) are constantly changing their "MSRP" so 10% off of an unknown number is 100% meaningless to me.

If someone has done the research and has determined that booking on board really is a better deal, I'd love to hear it, and I will consider booking while sailing next time...

Happy cruising!

It is 10% off the current fare, whatever it happens to be when you book. So it can be hundreds or thousands depending on the cruise/cabin category you choose to book.

Don't know why an extra 10% (plus category upgrade) wouldn't always be considered a better deal. Has nothing to do with the fluctuating prices.

59 minutes ago, julig22 said:

It is 10% off the current fare, whatever it happens to be when you book. So it can be hundreds or thousands depending on the cruise/cabin category you choose to book.

Don't know why an extra 10% (plus category upgrade) wouldn't always be considered a better deal. Has nothing to do with the fluctuating prices.

If that is true, then I agree it is likely a good deal. But I've never seen anything in writing that says it is 10% off of the current offers. So my naturally suspicious nature wonders whether, if I were cruising today, the discount would be 10% off of the current offer of "40% off all cruises" (from the NCL website), or whether it is 10% off of the base price before the 40% off, or 10% off some other price. All of those are legitimately a 10% discount, but some are much better deals than others.

I also react poorly to "Act now for the best deal!" marketing. In my experience, sometimes you're getting the best deal in those situations, and sometime you're not.

Happy cruising!

9 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

If that is true, then I agree it is likely a good deal. But I've never seen anything in writing that says it is 10% off of the current offers. So my naturally suspicious nature wonders whether, if I were cruising today, the discount would be 10% off of the current offer of "40% off all cruises" (from the NCL website), or whether it is 10% off of the base price before the 40% off, or 10% off some other price. All of those are legitimately a 10% discount, but some are much better deals than others.

I also react poorly to "Act now for the best deal!" marketing. In my experience, sometimes you're getting the best deal in those situations, and sometime you're not.

Happy cruising!

I can verify that I got the current price (after the 40%) for the cheaper cabin, a free upgrade, and then the 10% came off that price. In fact, the 10% wasn't applied until after the cruise.

But mathematically it doesn't matter.  Price x .6 x .9 is the same as Price x .9 x .6.  Or 44% off overall.

• Like 1

Question for those who have done this before and cruise regularly on NCL. My PCC told me she could only transfer a ship-booked cruise reservation to her (PCC) one time so if I wanted her to get credit I needed to book her directly after the cruise.  Insights please.

1 minute ago, laudergayle said:

Question for those who have done this before and cruise regularly on NCL. My PCC told me she could only transfer a ship-booked cruise reservation to her (PCC) one time so if I wanted her to get credit I needed to book her directly after the cruise.  Insights please.

When I booked onboard I specifically asked if my PCC would get the credit.  I was told yes.  However, my PCC hasn't returned my call so I haven't been able to verify.

33 minutes ago, julig22 said:

When I booked onboard I specifically asked if my PCC would get the credit.  I was told yes.  However, my PCC hasn't returned my call so I haven't been able to verify.

Please please update me when you find the answer to this question.  I know you’re a regular NCL cruiser and I trust yours and your PCCs answer.  txs.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 6:32 PM, julig22 said:

Probably lied to you to get the sale. Hopefully not, please do let us know as I'm sure my husband would like his PCC to get credit if we book onboard.

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Probably lied to you to get the sale. Hopefully not, please do let us know as I'm sure my husband would like his PCC to get credit if we book onboard.

Not sure about that - doubt the onboard CN manager works on commission.

At the moment my PCC is MIA so no definitive answer. And I've had 3 calls from potential PCCs since I booked onboard - all thinking I need a new PCC because the one I used to use got promoted months ago.  But she handed off her accounts to another PCC, so I don't know what's going on. 

Leaving on a cruise in a couple of days and planning to rebook a couple of cruises to get the price reductions/additional discounts.  

We had never heard of a discount until our recent cruise.  We booked a Haven class cabin while onboard Breakaway on July 9th.  We did get 10% but there was no mention of an upgrade.  Should we have received a cabin upgrade?  I wonder if we could still get it if we were due.  NCL did transfer it to our TA so I am betting they won't talk to me now.  

25 minutes ago, kickbutt10 said:

We had never heard of a discount until our recent cruise.  We booked a Haven class cabin while onboard Breakaway on July 9th.  We did get 10% but there was no mention of an upgrade.  Should we have received a cabin upgrade?  I wonder if we could still get it if we were due.  NCL did transfer it to our TA so I am betting they won't talk to me now.  

If you book in the Haven there's no upgrade.

26 minutes ago, kickbutt10 said:

The only upgrade is within category - so a better location on the ship for example.  Probably wouldn't apply to Haven.

I just did this back on the 22nd, so I'll give you a rundown:

I did a mock booking on the NCL website for an inside cabin on a 16-day cruise I was interested in.  Lowest cabin category was IF and mock booking total came to $3502.32.

Then I went down to the cruise next desk and booked it.  They mentioned it would take several days for all the promos to get added properly and to not be surprised if I check and see the price is higher than I expect.

I received a confirmation email that showed a total of $3631.92, which was higher than the mock booking of IF category.  The statement mentioned it was an IA category stateroom (the two bump in-category upgrade).   It also had promo codes of DISXIN (assuming for in-category upgrade), DISC40, EASYFARE, LATITUDE, LATERW, SHX50).

About 10 hours later, I got another confirmation statement emailed, and now the price matched my mock booking of $3502.32.  The stateroom now mentioned IF-IA instead of just IA as it has before.

5 days later, I got the third confirmation statement.  A new promo code had been added, CNUD10 (cruise next 10% discount?), and the final price showed $3189.78.

The three statements were all sent automatically to me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, yankprintster said:

I did a mock booking on the NCL website for an inside cabin on a 16-day cruise I was interested in.  Lowest cabin category was IF and mock booking total came to $3502.32.

Then I went down to the cruise next desk and booked it.  They mentioned it would take several days for all the promos to get added properly and to not be surprised if I check and see the price is higher than I expect.

I received a confirmation email that showed a total of $3631.92, which was higher than the mock booking of IF category.  The statement mentioned it was an IA category stateroom (the two bump in-category upgrade).   It also had promo codes of DISXIN (assuming for in-category upgrade), DISC40, EASYFARE, LATITUDE, LATERW, SHX50).

About 10 hours later, I got another confirmation statement emailed, and now the price matched my mock booking of $3502.32.  The stateroom now mentioned IF-IA instead of just IA as it has before.

5 days later, I got the third confirmation statement.  A new promo code had been added, CNUD10 (cruise next 10% discount?), and the final price showed $3189.78.

Great detailed information.   Thank you.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yankprintster said:

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with the onboard discount offer.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yankprintster said:

Pretty much the same for me, "cept I went from OF to OA and didn't get the initial "full-price" statement. other than what I got onboard.

First statement had the reduced price, 2nd had the CN deposit, 3rd had the 10% discount.

Don't have the DISXIN code but I think that has to do with dining, which I didn't take.

24 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Can you also apply CNC to an onboard booking for an additional savings?

Yes

Edited by julig22