Menu Rotation

Guppy99

It's my understanding that there are 14 days of menus. If you are on a 12 days sailing, do the menus always start with day 1 and then begin again with the next cruise? Or do they cycle through the entire 14 days and then begin again on day 3 of the next cruise?

26 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

It's my understanding that there are 14 days of menus. If you are on a 12 days sailing, do the menus always start with day 1 and then begin again with the next cruise? Or do they cycle through the entire 14 days and then begin again on day 3 of the next cruise?

This question pertains only to the GDR. The rotation is on an appropriate continuous 14 cycle. On Embarkment one never knows which day of that cycle they are on. Really doesn’t matter because for them, it’s Day 1 and they won’t see a repeat for a couple weeks.

The Specialties never change the menus. Only variant is an occasional fresh fish. The Terrace has a changing menu with different buffet themes thrown in.

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

This question pertains only to the GDR. The rotation is on an appropriate continuous 14 cycle. On Embarkment one never knows which day of that cycle they are on. Really doesn’t matter because for them, it’s Day 1 and they won’t see a repeat for a couple weeks.

The Specialties never change the menus. Only variant is an occasional fresh fish. The Terrace has a changing menu with different buffet themes thrown in.

I wonder how accurate this is (for the GDR) because the Captain's welcome/special dinner seems to always be the second or third day after embarkation as well as the farewell special dinner seems to always be the third- or second-last day before disembarkation. 

Unless these menus are in addition to the 14 in the cycle?

Also, we did notice a repeat on Day 11 on a few (not all) of our previous cruises (have not sailed a 14-night cruise yet).

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

17 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

I wonder how accurate this is (for the GDR) because the Captain's welcome/special dinner seems to always be the second or third day after embarkation as well as the farewell special dinner seems to always be the third- or second-last day before disembarkation. 

Also, we did notice a repeat on Day 11 on a few (not all) of our previous cruises (have not sailed a 14-night cruise yet).

thank you ...and thank you Pinot. I looked that menus posted and was trying to take a best guess which nights we would prefer to eat in a specialty.  Of the 8 posted, three did not appeal.  I guess this is just a stab in the dark though. Although I'm sure no matter where we go, it'll be good.

• Like 1

"The Specialties never change the menus. Only variant is an occasional fresh fish."......

Red Ginger has a sushi of the day that changes, and is always good.  While the specialty restaurant menus don't change, the recipe and/or the cook and/or the supply availability does.  Our most recent example was on Sirena (Toscano/Polo) where we had a delicious entree dish during the 1st week, yet when we ordered it during the 3rd week (B2B cruises) it was horrible.  The same thing happened with a starter course on three different nights.  Whereas, consistency in Red Ginger was excellent.        

Edited by SombraDeLuna
clarification

1 hour ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

I do not think I have seen a Captain welcome dinner  in many years  ???

They do have the party with free drinks 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think I have seen a Captain welcome dinner  in many years  ???

They do have the party with free drinks 

Sorry, I was referring to the GDR menu with more "special" items on it than is usually found on the GDR menu, usually coinciding on the night that they have the party with free drinks.  Items such as lobster, caviar and foie gras on the GDR menu for these nights.

25 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Sorry, I was referring to the GDR menu with more "special" items on it than is usually found on the GDR menu, usually coinciding on the night that they have the party with free drinks.  Items such as lobster, caviar and foie gras on the GDR menu for these nights.

OK  never paid attention  as I do not eat any of those  items

Years ago  they did have a special evening  for Captains night  with  a sorbet inbetween some courses 

A special dessert  etc.. thought that is what you were talking about

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Yes, those are the ones I looked at.  Thank you.

You will not go hungry  what ever  restaurant you choose

It is a good excuse to do another cruise  to try the dishes you missed on the 1st one LOL