Itchy on Ocean Cay

travelmomva

Just got back from a cruise on MSC Seashore, and my kids were complaining that the water in the Ocean Cay lagoon made them itchy. They refused to go back in. When I went to rinse off at the showers, I saw several families washing off their kids and when I asked, they also said their kids were itchy. Is there sea lice or something else at Ocean Cay (I found a warning from June that they can be present in the Bahamas), and has anyone else ever experienced this or just us?

The current warnings issued.

See Attached.

Sea lice and jellyfish warning!
30 Jun 2022, 18:37
The Bahamas government has released an advisory for lice and jellyfish larvae. While this is usually an annual occurances that typically doesn't require warnings, the past few days have been significant. 

Sea lice and jellyfish larvae are not dangerous, but can cause skin irritation and discomfort. When swimming in the sea, you're unlikely to see or feel anything, but will later notice an itching sensation and red rash in the areas covered by the bathing suit. If you think you've been exposed to them, it's best to not sit around in a bathing suit, but to shower and change as soon as possible, as the critters live on bathing suit. 

If you are itchy or have a red rash, topical solutions that work are Benadryl, Anthistan, and even diluted vinegar or witch hazel. For more serious cases or allergies, seek medical attention. 

This "bloom" usually only lasts a few day or a week, but still worth being aware of

Edited by phissy

1 hour ago, travelmomva said:

Just got back from a cruise on MSC Seashore, and my kids were complaining that the water in the Ocean Cay lagoon made them itchy. They refused to go back in. When I went to rinse off at the showers, I saw several families washing off their kids and when I asked, they also said their kids were itchy. Is there sea lice or something else at Ocean Cay (I found a warning from June that they can be present in the Bahamas), and has anyone else ever experienced this or just us?

I am in multiple groups on Faze bookk.  Been reading about this from so many people who went there.  They were talking about sea lice but also many many jelly fish present. 

14 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

No issue come September correct? Based on the comment above seems to be a now issue but will not be a later issue.

I am assuming the same.
We sail early October. 
Sounds like July is the prime month for this occurrence.

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

No issue come September correct? Based on the comment above seems to be a now issue but will not be a later issue.

Sea Lice and Jellyfish just go with the flow (literally).  As a lifelong ocean lover (including snorkeling and SCUBA) this is just something that cannot be predicted.   No telling what we will encounter in the fall.

Hank

• Like 2

My first private island experience was on NCL's Private Island as a guest aboard Sunward II.  I returned to the ship with sand flea bites.  Irritating, but, it was what it was and I lived through it.  Realizing that something like that could occur again, it does not discourage me from visiting the cruise lines Private Islands.  

Edited by rkacruiser

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My first private island experience was on NCL's Private Island as a guest aboard Sunward II.  I returned to the ship with sand flea bites.  Irritating, but, it was what it was and I lived through it.  Realizing that something like that could occur again, it does not discourage me from visiting the cruise lines Private Islands.  

Oh my!  Like you, by first Private Island was while on the Sunward II and I believe it was in the Bahamas (Berry Islands).  NCL was years ahead of the competition with that experience.  We do not recall too many bites, but I do remember that the snorkeling was excellent :).

DW and I are now seniors but still love the beach and spend several months a year on the beach in Puerto Vallarta and elsewhere around the world and in the USA.  We have never lost our love of beaches, the sea, snorkeling, and we do miss SCUBA.  Black flies, sand fleas, sea lice, and even jellyfish are all part of the beach and ocean swimming experience.   Having recently returned from 2 lovely weeks on South Carolina beaches (with a few mosquito bites) we still love our beach days.

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Like you, by first Private Island was while on the Sunward II and I believe it was in the Bahamas (Berry Islands).  NCL was years ahead of the competition with that experience

The Berry Islands!  I could not recall the area when I made my post.  Thanks.  

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have never lost our love of beaches, the sea, snorkeling

Nor have I.  Snorkeling is something that I have not tried.  I can swim, not well, but, good enough that I passed my swimming PE requirement when I was in college.  And, needing to wear corrective lenses to really be able to see, I never thought it worth trying to do.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

The Berry Islands!  I could not recall the area when I made my post.  Thanks.  

Nor have I.  Snorkeling is something that I have not tried.  I can swim, not well, but, good enough that I passed my swimming PE requirement when I was in college.  And, needing to wear corrective lenses to really be able to see, I never thought it worth trying to do.  

Took me years to realize that prescription swim masks are actually not expensive and easily obtained online.  While I do not need them for just swimming, they are really nice for snorkeling.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

Took me years to realize that prescription swim masks are actually not expensive and easily obtained online.  While I do not need them for just swimming, they are really nice for snorkeling.

Hank

I didn't learn about these until it really was unwise for me to try to snorkel.  I have had to be satisfied with glass bottom boat trips and those submarine type excursions to view the undersea geography and life..  Those have been good.  One excursion I booked was on a small deep sea sub that held very few people that traversed down the Cayman Wall.  The weeks before I was to go on that cruise, a hurricane hit the Grand Caymans.  The sub was so severely damaged when it was in port that it could not be repaired.  No replacement was ever made.  If I had been able to experience that, I think that could be my #1 favorite shore excursion.  

from the Bahamas yesterday (my daughter and son in law live in the Berry Islands)

THE Ministry of Health and Wellness has issued an advisory warning the public of sea lice and jellyfish bites.

#In a statement, the Ministry of Health officials said sea lice are the larvae of jellyfish, which float on the sea surface but are barely visible to the human eye.

#Occurrences of these bites are commonly seen during the period of March to August.

#“Skin contact with sea lice often results in dermatitis or seabather's eruption, which happens because the microscopic creatures become entrapped in swimwear,” the ministry said. “The eruptions produce a prickly sensation which progresses into a bumpy red rash noticeable between four to 24 hours following exposure. Lesions from the skin rash can last up to two weeks. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, fever, muscle spasms, joint pains and difficulty sleeping.”

Edited by Morgsmom

We were just there last Friday and the sea lice and jelly fish are still there.  We all had a spot or two that was inflamed and itchy.  Along with those we were also honored by the presence of a 3 foot nurse shark.  Amazing experience.

• Like 1