Medicare and Covid tests

Mary229

I went to an urgent care center to get tested March 29 for a cruise March 31.  I had to schedule, they treat it like a clinic visit.  I’m pretty rural, cvs only does PCR here.  A few weeks later I received a statement, either from Medicare or Tricare that the cost was $271 and no one had covered it.  I also have fepBlue.  But I never received a bill from anyone.  EM

On 8/5/2022 at 1:53 AM, QueenofEverything said:

We used them before a recent Disney cruise.  Technically they are not what what Holland America requires, as you have probably seen the discussions on these boards.

As far as their service, it worked for Disney but I have to say I was not impressed with the quality of their work.  At that time you could use one appointment for up to 4 people.  I noticed they have changed that to one.  My husband and I did it at the same appointment.  The proctor had us hold our tests up to the camera and then told us to proceed.  She did give us step by step instructions and was able to see us swabbing, she never asked us to angle the camera so she could see our hands while we were completing the test.  As soon as we could see the control line, she wanted us to hold them up to the camera.  That was less than 5 minutes into the 15 minute timer and we were done.  Sent PDF certificates shortly thereafter.  No QR codes, but worked fine.

Thank you for your response!
HAL will accept proctored Antigen test results for tests conducted 2 days before sailing for cruises originating in Canada. It sounds like OnPoint will fit the bill.  Rapid antigen tests aren’t available where we live and I’ve been advised not to have a PCR test because I had Covid last month and will likely show a false positive.   I can’t find any info on HAL website indicating that these proctored tests aren’t acceptable.  Fingers crossed. HAL isn’t asking for QR codes and the information you received was sufficient for Disney I’m sure we will be good to go for HAL.  Thanks again!

Go to questcovid19.com

My wife and I got PCR tests thru them before a recent cruise. The tests are at local pharmacies, using the drive thru. One if the valid choices you have when signing up is upcoming travel. With Medicare, there is no cost to you. The website says you get the results by the end of the next day. When you take the test, they tell you 2-5 days, which could be after your ship sails. However, we did get our results late at night the next day. You make appointments with them. 

You have to get the test within three days of sailing. So for a Saturday departure, get the test on Wednesday and you should have results late Thursday. I have seen conflicting info about the test being within 3 days or 72 hours of sailing, especially if you are going to Canada as part of your cruise. To be safe, you may want to get the test just within the 72 hour window. 

Cliff

6 hours ago, oldbluff said:

Go to questcovid19.com

My wife and I got PCR tests thru them before a recent cruise. The tests are at local pharmacies, using the drive thru. One if the valid choices you have when signing up is upcoming travel. With Medicare, there is no cost to you. The website says you get the results by the end of the next day. When you take the test, they tell you 2-5 days, which could be after your ship sails. However, we did get our results late at night the next day. You make appointments with them. 

You have to get the test within three days of sailing. So for a Saturday departure, get the test on Wednesday and you should have results late Thursday. I have seen conflicting info about the test being within 3 days or 72 hours of sailing, especially if you are going to Canada as part of your cruise. To be safe, you may want to get the test just within the 72 hour window. 

Cliff

CVS is now offering the antigen test by drive up and those results are very quick but at most only hours away

Update:  OnPoint proctored rapid antigen testing worked great for us. We used the tests that were made available by the US government for mail order so the test kits were free. OnPoint’s low cost and Zoom convenience were just what we wanted  and met HAL requirements for our Alaska cruise exactly as needed.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Article from the Wall Street Journal I just saw:

Biden Administration Plans for End of Covid-19 Shot, Treatment Coverage (msn.com)

I do believe testing coverage may have already ended for private insurance.  Medicare, Medicare supplements and Medicare advantage still cover the tests for specific reasons, one being crowded conditions