Bad experience

suzanne417

When did we become a people who "others"  must take care of us?  Independence and self reliance used to matter.   We have too many people who say  (I decide that taking a cruise when my health is poor) is someone else's  responsibility.  Did you know about covid?  Did you decide to go anyway? 

By the way, I did get covid after my cruise to Alaska.  Do I blame the cruise line?  NO!  I went on my cruise informed and took the risk.

• Like 9

Just now, Mary229 said:

I sailed all of April, most of May continuously then again for a week in July. 

So, after they decided that they would eliminate covid protocols. The started dropping protections in late Feb, early March.

Can you understand that people who booked a cruise with covid protocols and felt protected, then after final payment, HAL drops those protocols, that they now feel a little angry? 

What are people supposed to do that have FCC expiring in a few months? Go and possibly get infected or let HAL have their money?

The right thing to do would have been kept all covid protocols until the end of 2022 when everyone's FCC expires.

2 minutes ago, happywandering said:

When did we become a people who "others"  must take care of us?  Independence and self reliance used to matter.   We have too many people who say  (I decide that taking a cruise when my health is poor) is someone else's  responsibility.  Did you know about covid?  Did you decide to go anyway? 

By the way, I did get covid after my cruise to Alaska.  Do I blame the cruise line?  NO!  I went on my cruise informed and took the risk.

Please, it's called public health. It's a global pandemic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, happywandering said:

+1. Agree. Well said.

14 minutes ago, seaoma said:

So, after they decided that they would eliminate covid protocols. The started dropping protections in late Feb, early March.

Can you understand that people who booked a cruise with covid protocols and felt protected, then after final payment, HAL drops those protocols, that they now feel a little angry? 

What are people supposed to do that have FCC expiring in a few months? Go and possibly get infected or let HAL have their money?

The right thing to do would have been kept all covid protocols until the end of 2022 when everyone's FCC expires.

It has said the protocols will change.  That is a given. It is just like they say they may change the itinerary, I have never been on one of my long cruises where some port was switched or missed. That is how the world works. It doesn’t always go my way. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, suzanne417 said:

My husband had a complication and the doctor told him to come through the ship to take a urine culture. Even though he was positive they told him to walk through the ship but don’t talk to anyone! 

WOW! That doesn't seem like the medical staff is following quarantine protocols.

Anyone thinking of sailing with a comorbidity should read this post. I'm sorry you had such a trying experience and wish you both a speedy recovery.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It has said the protocols will change.  That is a given. It is just like they say they may change the itinerary, I have never been on one of my long cruises where some port was switched or missed. That is how the world works. It doesn’t always go my way. 

Someone post a pre-2020 Contract and I'll believe you.

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

WOW! That doesn't seem like the medical staff is following quarantine protocols.

Anyone thinking of sailing with a comorbidity should read this post. I'm sorry you had such a trying experience and wish you both a speedy recovery.

So anyone over the age of 65, beware!

7 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Someone post a pre-2020 Contract and I'll believe you.

HAL rarely has a cruise calendar filled 2 years ahead.  I am sure the Norway cruise schedule was posted well into the pandemic.  I bought my 2022 cruise in late 2021 after everything else I had bought had been canceled.
 The terms of the protocols have always said subject to change. The lingo is from the cruise cancellation and Covid policy pages.

Ask the OP when they booked their trip instead of challenging me.

I have been straightforward since the beginning of this that I knew when I booked my 2022 cruises that I would have to deal with a changing landscape.   I did not go into this with high hopes and wishful thinking. I read carefully, I talked to my personal physician and I chose.  I assure you every time the 30 day mark rolls around I weigh whether I want to invoke the FCC clause. I have a cruise in 25 days, we just went through the decision again.  That is what adults do. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

HAL rarely has a cruise calendar filled 2 years ahead.  I am sure the Norway cruise schedule was posted well into the pandemic.  I bought my 2022 cruise in late 2021 after everything else I had bought had been canceled.
 The terms of the protocols have always said subject to change. The lingo is from the cruise cancellation and Covid policy pages.

Ask the OP when they booked their trip instead of challenging me.

I have been straightforward since the beginning of this that I knew when I booked my 2022 cruises that I would have to deal with a changing landscape.   I did not go into this with high hopes and wishful thinking. I read carefully, I talked to my personal physician and I chose.  I assure you every time the 30 day mark rolls around I weigh whether I want to invoke the FCC clause. I have a cruise in 25 days, we just went through the decision again.  That is what adults do. 

I have been cruising for 40 years.  I have never seen a statement that health protocols will be changing for the worse, even though the threat to your health is still there.

I am doing the same, but one day the clock is going to run out. With the current trend to make the cruises more dangerous for all people, what is your suggestion? If you had in excess of $10,000 in FCC that expires in 2022, would you just let HAL have it? 

I'll be sure to let HAL know that I think they are wasting their time cleaning and serving passengers in the Lido just because someone will get Noro. If it's not important to do the things necessary for covid mitigation, why bother with Noro? It's less prevalent. You only have a miniscule chance of getting Noro on a cruise ship, yet they mitigate it.

2 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I have been cruising for 40 years.  I have never seen a statement that health protocols will be changing for the worse, even though the threat to your health is still there.

I am doing the same, but one day the clock is going to run out. With the current trend to make the cruises more dangerous for all people, what is your suggestion? If you had in excess of $10,000 in FCC that expires in 2022, would you just let HAL have it? 

I'll be sure to let HAL know that I think they are wasting their time cleaning and serving passengers in the Lido just because someone will get Noro. If it's not important to do the things necessary for covid mitigation, why bother with Noro? It's less prevalent. You only have a miniscule chance of getting Noro on a cruise ship, yet they mitigate it.

These  are quotes from their website, the same lingo for a very, very long time

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on sailings from……..

Holland America Line is working closely with authorities and governments across the globe on health protocols. Please view the Frequently Asked Questions that apply to your voyage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

These  are quotes from their website, the same lingo for a very, very long time

Until further notice, these are the requirements for our cruise guests on sailings from……..

Holland America Line is working closely with authorities and governments across the globe on health protocols. Please view the Frequently Asked Questions that apply to your voyage.

Yet, you have no idea when that was put there. Was that put there on the day they shut down in Feb. 2020, when I generated FCC from canceled cruises? Nope. 

Yet, you have no idea when that was put there. Was that put there on the day they shut down in Feb. 2020, when I generated FCC from canceled cruises? Nope. 

I am sorry your FCC is worthless.  I do believe at the time you were given an option, as I was, to either take a 100% refund as required by US law or accept an FCC for a percentage over the refund.  I did one of one and one of the other.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am sorry your FCC is worthless.  I do believe at the time you were given an option, as I was, to either take a 100% refund as required by US law or accept an FCC for a percentage over the refund.  I did one of one and one of the other.  

Sure, I was but they were sailing with vaccinated guests, fewer passengers and masks required. I had faith that a cruise line would continue to mitigate covid until the pandemic was over. After all, they are still mitigating Noro and outbreaks on the ships are miniscule. 

But once you turned that down, you were stuck and then they started making it more difficult for people to cruise. 

I'm glad that it all worked out for you. But there are a lot of people in my position that aren't happy.

Sorry, but I don't believe you are sorry for my loss at all. It doesn't affect you in the least.

Edited by seaoma

Irregardless of:

- testing vs. no testing

- masking vs. no masking

- changing requirements

- social distancing vs. socializing

The point is that all travel is a risk during this pandemic, and your health and safety are YOUR responsibility!  The OP gambled on a long trip, and had a very unfortunate experience.

Edited by julia
sp
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, seaoma said:

Sure, I was but they were sailing with vaccinated guests, fewer passengers and masks required. I had faith that a cruise line would continue to mitigate covid until the pandemic was over. 

But once you turned that down, you were stuck and then they started making it more difficult for people to cruise. 

I'm glad that it all worked out for you. But there are a lot of people in my position that aren't happy.

Sorry, but I don't believe you are sorry for my loss at all. It doesn't affect you in the least.

I am sorry it has not worked out for you.  I am sure you could likely work something out with HAL but that is a private conversation you will have to have.  Gather your information and go to them with a good solid outline and request an extension until 2023. 

Just now, Mary229 said:

I am sorry it has not worked out for you.  I am sure you could likely work something out with HAL but that is a private conversation you will have to have.  Gather your information and go to them with a good solid outline and request an extension until 2023. 

I have yet to hear of that happening for anyone on these boards for 2 entire years. When I have the conversation, I will be sure to let them know I got the suggestion on CC.

3 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Poor Suzanne.  Came here to garner some sympathy, only to have Sea Grandma upstage her.

Frankly though, you're both on the wrong side of right.

Unfortunately, there is no sympathy on CC.

1 minute ago, seaoma said:

I have yet to hear of that happening for anyone on these boards for 2 entire years. When I have the conversation, I will be sure to let them know I got the suggestion on CC.

I did some handstands on the one I did take the FCC. I also had some expiring gift cards (bonus) where I did a few twirls.  One thing you should ponder taking a chance with is using the FCC then invoking the 30 day rule of the Covid cancellation policy thereby getting an extension. Be sure to screenshot the Covid policy. 

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I did some handstands on the one I did take the FCC. I also had some expiring gift cards (bonus) where I did a few twirls.  One thing you should ponder taking a chance with is using the FCC then invoking the 30 day rule of the Covid cancellation policy thereby getting an extension. Be sure to screenshot the Covid policy. 

I've already done that. Are you saying that your FCC was extended to 2023? The person on the phone could not tell me when the FCC would expire and I'm still waiting to have it deposited into our accounts.

Edited by seaoma

I've already done that. Are you saying that your FCC was extended to 2023? The person on the phone could not tell me when the FCC would expire and I'm still waiting to have it deposited into our accounts.

No, I used it but it was a bit convoluted.   What I am saying instead of losing it book the latest possible cruise covered by the policy then invoke at the 32 day mark.  It is worth a try 

Just now, Mary229 said:

No, I used it but it was a bit convoluted.   What I am saying instead of losing it book the latest possible cruise covered by the policy then invoke at the 32 day mark.  It is worth a try 

I also could go on the latest possible cruise in a hazmat suit. 

Just now, seaoma said:

I also could go on the latest possible cruise in a hazmat suit. 

Don’t book until the last possible day and book the last cruise covered by the policy.    There was someone on my last cruise in a suit. To each his own