Stateroom Upgrades By The Cruise Line - To What Kind Of Cabin

SantaFeFan

We're on Royal Princess early next year. We're in the lowest category Mini-Suite forward on the Aloha deck. I have been reading about people being upgraded by the cruise line even though they weren't requested. What kind of stateroom are these upgrades typically to? To a different area? To a higher category? I realize that some people don't like the new stateroom location, but I don't have a good understanding on how much better or worse these upgrades are. 

What have been your experiences.

We are thinking of requesting "No Upgrade" but need more information on the pros and cons of upgrades to make the best decision. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

• SantaFeFan changed the title to Stateroom Upgrades By The Cruise Line - To What Kind Of Cabin

You really should not worry too much about this.  The odds of getting a free upgrade (especially in the mini-suite category) are very small. You could possibly be offered an upsell, which is an upgrade for a fee.  

A true upgrade is considered from category to a higher category, i.e., mini-suite to a full suite.

I have seen people having lateral "upgrades," which is from one cabin category to another.  Those are considered by Princess to be upgrades as the location is often considered a better location by Princess, but usually not by passengers!

Princess may upgrade you, they may not. There is no actual way for you to know in advance. Normally upgrades are to higher category cabins in the same class, ie. ME to MC, MB or MA. It would rare for you to be upgraded to a club class mini, M1 or M6, or to a full suite. Classifications are all about location. Cabin interiors are all the same. You could be offered an upsell which is movement to a higher classification for a price. Good upsells go fast. If you like the offer jump on it quickly. If you like your cabin and want to stay in it have your booking marked no upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toofewcruises said:

You really should not worry too much about this.  The odds of getting a free upgrade (especially in the mini-suite category) are very small. You could possibly be offered an upsell, which is an upgrade for a fee.  

A true upgrade is considered from category to a higher category, i.e., mini-suite to a full suite.

I have seen people having lateral "upgrades," which is from one cabin category to another.  Those are considered by Princess to be upgrades as the location is often considered a better location by Princess, but usually not by passengers!

Sorry, I may not have made my question very clear.

I am not hoping for an upgrade. Just the opposite. I picked a cabin that is perfectly fine for us. What I AM concerned about is being moved for some unexpected reason to another cabin that connects with another, or is under the buffet, or is above the nightclub, or is within hearing range of the anchor and chain being lowered (we will be tendering at least two ports). 

I absolutely do not want a noisy cabin, even if it's a higher category Mini-suite, or even a suite. I am cursed with being a very light sleeper and did my homework picking my cabin in an area that is known to be quiet. The last thing I need is Princess sabotaging my quiet night's sleep for their convenience. I have read some posts by people who weren't very happy about an upgrade they were given. I am trying to learn what these upgrades actually result in - what issues the cabins may or may not have - so as to have a better chance of avoiding any disappointments.

Edited by SantaFeFan

The default is upgrades will be accepted. Therefore, have your booking marked "No Upgrade." This has to be done verbally through your T.A., or if booked directly through Princess. Can not be done on line. That is your best chance of staying where you are. Keep watching your booking on the App or internet. That way if Princess does change the cabin you can react fairly quickly. 

Edited by skynight

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

Sorry, I may not have made my question very clear.

I am not hoping for an upgrade. Just the opposite. I picked a cabin that is perfectly fine for us. What I AM concerned about is being moved for some unexpected reason to another cabin that connects with another, or is under the buffet, or is above the nightclub, or is within hearing range of the anchor and chain being lowered (we will be tendering at least two ports). 

I absolutely do not want a noisy cabin, even if it's a higher category Mini-suite, or even a suite. I am cursed with being a very light sleeper and did my homework picking my cabin in an area that is known to be quiet. The last thing I need is Princess sabotaging my quiet night's sleep for their convenience. I have read some posts by people who weren't very happy about an upgrade they were given. I am trying to learn what these upgrades actually result in - what issues the cabins may or may not have - so as to have a better chance of avoiding any disappointments.

Yes, you can have either your TA or Princess mark your booking "no upgrade."  But be aware that Princess can and will change cabins.  It doesn't happen often, but keep an eye on your booking.  If that happens, get on the phone quickly and often times Princess will give you your cabin back.  If they need it for quarantine, then you will have to change cabins.  If they do change your cabin, before you call, check the deck plans, so that you can submit the next best thing, or plan B.

If we book a cabin that is a mid-ship balcony obstructed...  larger balcony looking over the mid-ship bump out on Royal Class.  I wonder if they would try to upgrade to a deluxe balcony that is not mid-ship that is actually obstructed by a lifeboat.  

A deluxe mid-ship obstructed would be good, or a non-obstructed balcony. Unless that is all the way forward, maybe on the highest decks.

In this case, I wonder if they could actually come up with a deluxe balcony or a non-obstructed balcony that would be a bad upgrade?

I guess ANY deluxe, even non mid-ship, or ANY non obstructed balcony would be possible?

I was upgraded from an IF to an ID.  I preferred my original location, (high, forward, near the spa, hopefully quiet).  The upgrade notice said I had 48 hours to try to get my original cabin back, which I did. 

Edited by SomewhereGirl