Help with Making an Insurance Claim

Does anyone know where I can get a history of the air quality index for Fairbanks, Alaska for the month of July? I could not go on our post-cruise tour to Denali and Fairbanks because of the air quality due to the fires. I need several documents to prove to the insurance company why we interrupted our trip.  Thank you.  I do have several newspaper articles and one weather.com report.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

You would probably need a letter from a doctor prohibiting you from travel on the day you voluntarily decided to terminate your cruisetour to make a claim. 

It didn't say that, but since I'm seeing him soon, I'll ask for that.  Good idea.

Just now, Carol28 said:

It didn't say that, but since I'm seeing him soon, I'll ask for that.  Good idea.

If it isn’t dated before the cancellation what good is it going to do?  Plus, I doubt a doctor is going to back date a letter.  I sure as heck wouldn’t.  Particularly if they  know why because that is insurance fraud on top of other potential issues in doing it.  

7 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

The doctor would just say that I do have asthma.  

Just make sure it is a policy that covers pre existing conditions.  I’m no expert on travel insurance, but that could potentially come into play here.  Maybe that is just for health care during a trip and doesn’t impact cancellation.  But I’d verify.  

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

Just make sure it is a policy that covers pre existing conditions.  I’m no expert on travel insurance, but that could potentially come into play here.  Maybe that is just for health care during a trip and doesn’t impact cancellation.  But I’d verify.  

Without a waiver for pre-existing conditions, they are a factor in claims for cancellation and trip interruption as well as medical care during the trip.

My insurance policy has a section about this type of thing and I believe you just need a newspaper article showing the fires and air quality dated on the date you interrupted. 

You can look for that online with a  local Alaska newspaper. Read through the policy to make sure, cause they're all different, but that might be all you need.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

https://www.epa.gov/outdoor-air-quality-data

Maybe this?

I haven’t tried to locate the specific information you need, but this seems pretty comprehensive.

I tried to locate the info, but it doesn't give a daily report.  At least, I couldn't find it. I thank you for the info.

1 hour ago, Carol28 said:

Does anyone know where I can get a history of the air quality index for Fairbanks, Alaska for the month of July? I could not go on our post-cruise tour to Denali and Fairbanks because of the air quality due to the fires. I need several documents to prove to the insurance company why we interrupted our trip.  Thank you.  I do have several newspaper articles and one weather.com report.  Thank you.

Maybe play around with airnow.gov?

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Fairbanks&state=AK&country=USA