Anyone had NCL give them a flight to Montreal for a Quebec cruise?

Our cruise isn't until October, but we've received some info (I know it can change, even up to a week or so before cruise) about our flights, and that they are ending in Montreal.  We were told by NCL air department that we'd have to get our own transportation to Quebec port.  We purchased an air deviation to get to Quebec 2 days early.  Any ideas would be appreciated (an NCL agent said the flights might still be changed to get us to Quebec, rather than Montreal).  It's a 4 hour bus between cities, and nearly that by train. 

Someone else had a cruise ending in Quebec and got flights home from Montreal.  Yes, the "flights" you see are only placeholders, the BOGO flights aren't booked until 30 days before your cruise (it now even says that when booking a cruise with the BOGO flights).

Based on the two people posting concerns over this, I have to wonder if air schedules just don't line up to book people through Quebec.

Here's the other thread - 

I commented in that thread, there's a rail option to get between Montreal and Quebec.

We flew out of Montreal as well.  I looked at airfare and found flights from Montreal are quite a bit less expensive, perhaps because it's a larger airport with more flights?  Montreal certainly has more options.

That sounds horrific!!   If NCL is only booking you to Montreal they should give you free passes to get to Quebec.

When we boarded in Quebec we had stayed in Montreal a few days first and it was quite a journey between the cities.  Airport hotel-City; train; City to ship.

We have 3 couples in our group on the 9/2 Boston-Quebec cruise. We are on separate reservations and come from different cities, but we've all been booked out of Montreal by NCL Air. We belatedly read the "fine print" which explicitly says: "Guests embarking or disembarking in Quebec City may be reserved on flights arriving or departing from Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) to ensure the most convenient schedule." https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards 

Keep in mind that if you are doing a deviation then you are on your own to get to or from the Montreal airport. In the thread that was linked to above, suggestions were made to use the Orleans Express bus or ViaRail train.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

If NCL is only booking you to Montreal they should give you free passes to get to Quebec.

They only do this if you are not doing a deviation. If you are doing a deviation, you are on your own. Edited to add that maybe if you book a hotel through NCL they would? Not sure about that but definitely you are on your own if doing a deviation and booking your own hotel, which is our situation.

Edited by junglejane

We live in Montreal and dont understand why NCL would use Montreal airport if you are ending in Quebec city! Its over a 2 1/2 hour drive!  We have been to Quebec city before driving there.They should fly you out of Quebec city! Montreal airport is a disaster now with Air Canada. I have family that works at the airport and for AC. They are understaffed and overbooked so lots of flights are delayed. They are also still doing random covid tests. Also luggage has been an issue as well with being lost. All this due to Covid with lack of airline staff to deal with the over flow of people travelling this year. They have cancelled lots of flights because of this so be careful.

Personally I would never allow a cruise line to book my flights but thats just me. Good luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

Indeed, being flown to Montréal for a cruise out of Québec city makes about as much sense as being flown to Orlando for a flight out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami. 

It probably makes sense from a financial standpoint.  YQB enplanements are less than 10% of YUL.  I suspect that makes it difficult for NCL to find suitable schedules/fares to YQB.

2 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

It probably makes sense from a financial standpoint.

But they still need to get the cruisers to Quebec city... that's over 2.5h drive or a 3-4h coach or train ride.  They can't possibly drop passengers off in Montréal and tell them: "Well, make your way to the port". The only way I see YUL being used is as a connection for a puddle jumper flight to Québec city. 

My husband and I are on a cruise from Boston to Quebec this September and we got our flight itinerary the other day.  We have a 2 day deviation for the return, and are scheduled to fly out of Montreal.  I suspected as much when I booked the cruise, so I had already made hotel reservations in Montreal for the night before we return home.  We decided to take a train from Quebec to Montreal, and the cost was fairly reasonable (I think around $150 for the 2 of us). 

15 hours ago, Always Cruising said:

"drop passengers off in Montreal and tell them to make their own way to Quebec City" is exactly what they're are telling us

Thanks to everyone for your answers

I’m sorry to hear.  I took a screen shot of the train schedule between YUL airport and Quebec train station, it’s a 5 minute drive between the Quebec train station and the Quebec port.

Fingers crossed for you!

157A93D7-796E-444E-9167-88250877A31A.png

• Like 1

We have a 2 day deviation at beginning of trip, and would love to book train or bus from Montreal to Quebec City, but people are coming from 2 different cities, and air isn't confirmed (at least sorta confirmed!) until 3-4 weeks before the cruise.  So without knowing arrival times in Montreal 2 days pre cruise, we can't plan bus or train tix.   Grrrr....

I was also in a holding pattern until I got our flight confirmation.  But I was surprised as I received the flight confirmation from NCL about a week ago (our cruise is for Sept.16), so about 6 weeks ahead of the cruise. I booked the train as soon as I got the itinerary, and there was still decent availability.  I'm actually super excited because I love train travel, and this me an excuse to book a train trip.  I hope there is good scenery between Quebec and Montreal!  Also, as a side note, we got really good flight times from NCL.  Our flights depart around 10 am and we arrive by 6 pm at both destinations, so no red eye flights. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Always Cruising said:

We have a 2 day deviation at beginning of trip, and would love to book train or bus from Montreal to Quebec City, but people are coming from 2 different cities, and air isn't confirmed (at least sorta confirmed!) until 3-4 weeks before the cruise.  So without knowing arrival times in Montreal 2 days pre cruise, we can't plan bus or train tix.   Grrrr....

@Always Cruising There are several departures on weekdays, it should help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bignan said:

I was also in a holding pattern until I got our flight confirmation.  But I was surprised as I received the flight confirmation from NCL about a week ago (our cruise is for Sept.16), so about 6 weeks ahead of the cruise. I booked the train as soon as I got the itinerary, and there was still decent availability.  I'm actually super excited because I love train travel, and this me an excuse to book a train trip.  I hope there is good scenery between Quebec and Montreal!  Also, as a side note, we got really good flight times from NCL.  Our flights depart around 10 am and we arrive by 6 pm at both destinations, so no red eye flights. 

I have not taken the train but I have driven from Montreal to Quebec City on the Trans-Canada Hwy which I think follows pretty much the same route.  It's nice scenery but not a lot of variety - rolling countryside with some woods and a lot of farmland.  

I'm sure I could find it somewhere, but any info on getting from Montreal airport to Montreal train station?  Express bus has some departures from the airport, but by the time we get our air info, maybe won't be able to find seats.   Thank you!  (and airlines delays are always an issue if rail or bus tickets are pre booked)

Train is VIA Rail, there is a station near the airport (5 minutes shuttle ride to the Dorval station), or else you need to get to the Gare Centrale de Montréal which is a tad more complicated (cab, uber or transit). 

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/stations/quebec/dorval 

Here is the timetable for the trains (it's the Ottawa to Quebec City line, you board in Dorval and disembark in Quebec City).

https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan-your-trip/train-schedules/ottawa-montreal-sainte-foy-quebec 

Your other option is to make it to the Gare Centrale Montréal which has a few more departures to Quebec city, but you'd need to make your way downtown (22km) by taxi, uber or the #747 "express" transit bus.

(quick edit: It's unacceptable that NCL air would drop you off in Montreal for a Quebec City departure with no shuttles or connections... Make a fuss if this stands!)

Edited by Pat.D
  • Like 2

I just received our flight info this morning & spoke with NCL Air.  They are within promotion limits to fly you to Montreal for a Quebec City departure. They provide transfers (for a charge) from YUL to the port, but you may end up spending an unplanned night in Montreal to catch it.

That sucks 😞  But have flown into YUL a few times and have taken the train and the bus that goes to Quebec City and it is fairly easy.  This was in 2019 so pre Covid, but the train ride was simply lovely, when I took the bus was actually faster than the train.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:39 PM, junglejane said:

We have 3 couples in our group on the 9/2 Boston-Quebec cruise. We are on separate reservations and come from different cities, but we've all been booked out of Montreal by NCL Air. We belatedly read the "fine print" which explicitly says: "Guests embarking or disembarking in Quebec City may be reserved on flights arriving or departing from Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) to ensure the most convenient schedule." https://www.ncl.com/air-service-standards 

Keep in mind that if you are doing a deviation then you are on your own to get to or from the Montreal airport. In the thread that was linked to above, suggestions were made to use the Orleans Express bus or ViaRail train.

I have done both. ViaRail was beautiful and scenic and Orleans Express Bus was fast, got to see some scenery but not as much as the train. In my past trips to Montreal, the bus was cheaper than the train, don't know if that has changed. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 10:30 AM, Always Cruising said:

I'm sure I could find it somewhere, but any info on getting from Montreal airport to Montreal train station?  Express bus has some departures from the airport, but by the time we get our air info, maybe won't be able to find seats.   Thank you!  (and airlines delays are always an issue if rail or bus tickets are pre booked)

If your doing the train book from Quebec City (called QUÉBEC GARE DU PALAIS on Via Rails website) to "MONTRÉAL TRUDEAU AIRPORT".  That would include the train from Quebec City to Dorval Station. 

At Dorval Station you transfer onto a shuttle bus for a 5 minute hop to the airport terminal.  If you book the train on Via rails website to the airport it include the shuttle as part of the fare.

Edited by em-sk