Day Trip to Paris from London via Eurostar. Yea or Nay?

klfrodo

16 hours ago, sir_ragu said:

Thank you.  It a bucket list item with the possibility of going back another time but I have alot on my bucket list!

If you are like my DH and me, once you participate in Paris you will want to return.

When we finish our r/t Southampton cruise next year we planned to fly home after spending time in London. But then seeing Paris via the Olympics and knowing how we are just a Eurostar train ride away, we've added Paris to our itinerary for at least a couple of nights.

I haven't taken the time to read all the posts in this thread, but if I wanted to do as the OP suggests I would fly into Paris, stay overnight, then take the Eurostar to London late on the second day.

OP here

The experience is one that will never be forgotten. Took the tube from St. James to Victoria, changed platforms and continued on to St. Pancras. St. Pancras itself is an amazing station with some great history. The buskers are part of the experience. Riding the Eurostar was an experience like no other. Nothing like Amtrak.

Purchased our Paris Metro tix in the Metropole Cafe on the Eurostar. The YouTube videos I watched guided me directly to the metro station at Gard du Nord. City Mapper app had already pre-planned our stops and platform changes in Paris. Google Maps walked us directly to the hotel. Explored Paris on foot for a few hours before we boarded the metro to Trocadero. From there, we walked down to our dinner cruise which was another great experience. Met a great couple from Portugal. After the dinner cruise, we walked back to Trocadero. We were going to Taxi back but they were just trying to rip off tourists. They wanted €75.

As with most European hotels, the rooms are much smaller than what we in the US are accustomed to. If you're aware of it beforehand, no issue at all.

Got up the next morning, checked out and walked along the Champs Elysees. Had a small breakfast at a cafe. Checked out City Mapper again to determine our route back to Gare du Nord. Toured Gare du Nord (amazing architecture), jumped on the Eurostar and travelled back to London.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It can be done in a whirlwind if you're looking to check off a few boxes.  FYI, if you are taking the Eurostar from London, you need to come early (like for a flight) for immigration/customs.  If your choice is from London or not at all, you could make it work, but be advised you need to leave time for immigration on either end.

We actually did something very similar this past summer.  It was during the Olympics and we were a bit worried about spending a few days in Paris after the cruise with our two young kids (what if the city was a total mess with the games?).  We ended up taking the Eurostar as a day trip from Brussels (just 1hr 20 min each way, arrived around 9am) and had a terrific day: Got to Paris, took the metro to the Il de la Cite, saw the Concergerie and Ste. Chapelle (timed tickets), had brunch at a bistro (including the kids' must-haves in Paris), saw the exterior of Notre Dame, walked for a couple of hours around the Left Bank, went to the top of the Eiffel Tower (timed tix), had a ton of snacks including ice cream and crepes, walked to the Arc de Triomphe, down the Champs-Ellyses, more snacks, back to the train station around 6pm.  Again, from Brussels, it was a shorter trip than from London, and we were already in the EU, so you could show up shortly before the train departure in each direction.  We allowed plenty of time, but not 90+ minutes.

Was it a whirlwind?  Yes.  Was everyone tired?  Yes.  DH and I have each been to Paris before, the kids hadn't, we went to lots of other museums throughout our trip.  Is this the only way I hope we'll ever see Paris together?  No, but we were close by, they really wanted to, and we made it happen.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, klfrodo said:

Will be spending a week in London pre-cruise next year and considering a day trip to Paris via Eurostar.

My only interest in visiting Paris is 1) to say I've been there 2) to see the Eiffel Tower 3) boat trip on the Seine 4) Lunch/Dinner on Champs- Elysees.

Yes? No? Maybe?

What am I missing or not thought about that might change my mind?

I did several day trips from Switzerland (where I spent 8 hours on the train and got 6 hours in Paris) and it was still great fun...but I work for the Swiss Railway and had therefore a really cheap ticket.

For sure it will not be a cheap daytrip...if you book way in advance you might get a better deal with a ticket which will be not refundable and not changeable. But you still look at least a 150 $ per person....which can get up to 500 $ per Person on short notice and if you wait too long the trains might even be sold out.

The three things you have on your list are easy doable in a day; though finding a restaurant on Champs-Elysees might be quite tricky (maybe look instead for a lunch-cruise on the river Seine).

For a view I recommend the Tour Montparnasse. Far less people and really a great view. And you will see so many sights from there. 

Posted (edited)

I really wish people would check the date of a post before answering. This post was started in 2022 and was suddenly brought back up 2 years later by someone asking a completely unrelated question about a cruise excursion from Le Havre to Paris. 
The OP already took the trip 2 years ago. 

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl
  • Thanks 1

For anyone thinking about a London to Paris day trip: 

There are so many amazing day trips from London to do instead.  My first choice would be an easy train ride to Bath. It’s located in the Cotswolds and is the most charming town. The hop on hop off bus takes you into the countryside. The Roman baths are the best preserved in the world. 

Another great day trip is to Windsor and Windsor Castle where the royals live at times. It’s another easy beautiful day trip from London by train. 

Finally, we always go to Oxford. It’s best to go by coach because it takes you into the historic town. I would do a historic walking tour because it’s a fabulous place. I love the pre-Raphaelite painters from Oxford a combined with the Tate Britain (not modern) in London. Watch the movie Effie Gray to be inspired. 

Don’t miss the tour of Parliament with Westminster Abby (so interesting!) and try out a themed walking tour. These tours are so much fun. 

• Like 1