Speciality Dress-teens

fozzy1975

The website says the dress code is “cruise casual” which it defines as:

Cruise Casual
Gentlemen: dress pants, jeans, elegant shorts, polo shirts

Ladies: casual dresses, skirts or trousers and blouses, summer dresses, capris, elegant shorts, jeans

Please no tracksuit trowsers, basketball shorts, flip-flops, bathing clothes or cut-off jeans.

As per the rules, no. Will they stop you from dining anyway? I don’t know. My teen son (pre-teen then) wore khaki shorts in the past & that wasn’t an issue. I assume that falls under “elegant shorts” & would be okay & maybe an acceptable option for your sons. I understand the struggle getting them to dress up! 

Edited by Drose716

For the most part Carnival doesn't enforce the dress policy.  I have however on occasion seen them do it.

Athletic shorts are basketball shorts, which are supposed to be prohibited.

At minimum if they must wear shorts and can't put on a pair of long pants, have them wear a pair of cargo style shorts if possible just to be safe.

As others have mentioned, it's a YMMV situation.  A good suggestion is as a compromise have them wear a t shirt with cargo shorts and they will be OK.   If they wear basketball shorts, they will probably be let in, but it's not a 100% certainty.  Remember to go to Cucina and Chibang for lunch on sea days, the noodle bowls with broth at Chibang are delicious.

16 hours ago, fozzy1975 said:

I am talking chibang and cucina del capitano can they wear athletic shorts and a tee? 

We have been on Mardi Gras twice and ate lunch/dinner at the restaurants mentioned several times.  I saw many kids/teens (even adults) in athletic shorts/tees.  On Mardi Gras it seemed to me like those restaurants were an extension of the MDR, and like you said, not in line with the steakhouse as far as attire goes. 

Maybe I should specify ... one of our sailings was over spring break which seems to be a pretty young/casual crowd, but I still think they'd be fine.

15 hours ago, Drose716 said:

The website says the dress code is “cruise casual” which it defines as:

Cruise Casual
Gentlemen: dress pants, jeans, elegant shorts, polo shirts

Ladies: casual dresses, skirts or trousers and blouses, summer dresses, capris, elegant shorts, jeans

Please no tracksuit trowsers, basketball shorts, flip-flops, bathing clothes or cut-off jeans.

As per the rules, no. Will they stop you from dining anyway? I don’t know. My teen son (pre-teen then) wore khaki shorts in the past & that wasn’t an issue. I assume that falls under “elegant shorts” & would be okay & maybe an acceptable option for your sons. I understand the struggle getting them to dress up! 

I wonder what are "elegant shorts"?  

19 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Best answer is no. The would need to have long pants and a polo shirt as a minimum. Some might give other advice, but who knows?

Let me correct my answer. Long pants are required for Cruise Elegant (ultimate oxymoron) only. I wore golf shorts and a polo to the steakhouse on the Breeze in November and will do it again later this month. I wear long pants only on Cruise Elegant night.

3 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

I wore golf shorts and a polo to the steakhouse on the Breeze in November and will do it again later this month. 

This was on night one of your cruise since you were able to use the "my luggage hasn't been delivered yet" card, since that's the only night that shorts are allowed in the steakhouse.  Hope you enjoyed your free wine.

13 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

This was on night one of your cruise since you were able to use the "my luggage hasn't been delivered yet" card, since that's the only night that shorts are allowed in the steakhouse.  Hope you enjoyed your free wine.

Except it wasn't. And I carry my luggage on and drop it in the cabin when we board.

We were on the Vista last August, and ate in the Steakhouse on night 3 or 4. We were seated eating our bread, and a couple was seated next to us and the guy had on cargo shorts, flip-flops & a Hawaiian shirt. No one blinked an eye. I thought he was a bit underdressed for such a nice restaurant, but to each their own. :classic_blink:

Pre COVID, some Carnival ships were experimenting with a one night only loosening of the dress code in the Steakhouse.  I was on the Pride out of Tampa and the only guy out of 5 or 6 wearing long pants.  One or two had basketball shorts and sandals/flipflops.  On the way out I asked about the dress code and was told it was advertised that way in the fun times app.

So what?  Didin't bother us at all.  What did detract from the meal was the noise of the gamesters playing name that tune in the atrium, decks below us.  The din came into the "open air" restaurant way too loud - more than enough to stifle table conversation and ruin the experience.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daddyfto said:

If your boys are 16 & 17 and haven't a clue how to dress for dinner and want to wear gym shorts...thats on you....good luck

I will take gym shorts over lack of manners, impoliteness and rude presumptuous comments any day.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Feel lucky then since shorts are prohibited in the Steakhouse with the exception of night one.

Well OK. I guess I've been remarkably lucky since cruising on the Mardi Gras in 1976. I read one of your other posts where you have cruised on Celebrity, Carnival, Princess and Royal this year, so you have seen the difference.

I've seen a dress code enforced once on the Glory headed to Canada in 2014. They sent a father and son back to change from basketball shorts. When afternoon activities involve grown men roaring like Tarzan and grinding on a total stranger on the lido deck for a plastic trophy I would not expect Emily Post to make an appearance for fashion once food is served.

My wife and I like Carnival since I can leave my driveway and be in my cabin in about 90 minutes in Galveston. We're booked on two in the next few months that will push us over 40 on the funnel. We also have realistic expectations on what people do versus a suggestion for dress. We also go back to the cabin on Cruise Elegant night a change back to shorts for the show and piano bar later.

If I was sitting at the dining table with shorts and a polo shirt you'd never know unless you looked under the table. Since the food is on the top, that's wasted effort.

See You At Sea!

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I will take gym shorts over lack of manners, impoliteness and rude presumptuous comments any day.   

I've said and posted here before that I'd sit with a family in purple tutu's and love the conversation versus dinner guests in formal dress that are miserable and have full intent on making my wife and I the same.
 In all our years of cruising we have only asked to be moved once. I'd do it again if needed.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, Schoifmom said:

image.png.7650f9dc583b5129f71682ad2ac6ec0f.png

Traditionally, "elegant shorts" would be Bermuda Shorts. (They are still worn in Bermuda with jackets and ties.) But, in reality, I think today it would be interpreted as any of the above, with a preference for longer (knee length) over shorter and not gym or running shorts. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, ldubs said:

Are you referring to me with this reply?  I’ll have you know I’ve had people at the end of a cruise mention to me how well behaved and well mannered my daughters were on the cruise and that is one of the best highlights a father could have.  Again your in a dining room dress accordingly it's not that difficult

8 hours ago, Daddyfto said:

Are you referring to me with this reply?  I’ll have you know I’ve had people at the end of a cruise mention to me how well behaved and well mannered my daughters were on the cruise and that is one of the best highlights a father could have.  Again your in a dining room dress accordingly it's not that difficult

Thank you for informing me.   I am very happy for you.  

I suggest it might be more courteous to attempt to help with the question instead of commenting on parenting skills.   For the specialty restnts the OP is asking about are shorts commonly worn?  Are they prohibited?   I don't know.   Do you?