Not leaving bags out?

Is it true that if you pack fairly light, and dont leave your bags out the last night of the cruise you dont have to wait for your color to be called?

If you choose to carry off your own your bags, they have a new policy where you can disembark first before any colors are called.

When I last took the Monarch, we wanted a quick start out to get off to work...Since it was only a 3-night cruise, everything we took fit into a couple of those carry-on sized rolling cases (one for me, one for my wife)...we didn't even ask, we just didn't put them outside (They can't tell you that you can't just carry off your own carry-ons, right?)

Well, the next morning, as soon as they started calling ANY color to disembark, we just walked right off rolling our bags with us...

NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER!!

We'll probably do it again next month...It's sure nice to have all of your stuff with you and not worry about packing the night before...and not to deal with fibnding your luggage in the terminal...and certainly nice not to wait around for someone to call your color!

OK - the only minor issue may be that your bags will not be sniffed by the customs dogs- and you come strolling out with 3 or 4 rolling bags with no luggage tags on them from the cruise line customs may get a little curious . .. that may delay you if they decided to have the doggie sniff you. . .

ANYTHING that is not ordinary, and they know that it is ordinary for most cruise pax have lots of clothes because of the lack of laundry and the silly fixed dress nights, will pique their interest in you. So look harmless . . .

I don't know where you are thinking but you will either have to haul the bags down multiple stairs [not on the ship but in the port] and deal with long lines to get off and then go through immigration. . . .

do what you want but the process is held up not by the ship but by immigration processing . . . and that is not slow at all, just 2000 of your new friends all getting in line at the same time.

Having just gotten off the Mariner on Sunday, I can tell you first hand how it works:

You do NOT use the tags provided.

You do NOT have to request the early departure from the boat.

You do NOT have to have a specific size bag to do this.

As long as you can carry it or roll it, you can do the "Express" debarkation.

It will be clearly printed on the Compass the night before with all the other information. They will call the Express Check Out people first to get off the ship, then the others. The Compass section on Express Check Out will tell you where to go. We went down and waited on deck about 10 minutes before 7am and the line was already growing, but it was a breeze! I highly recommend doing this. It saves so much time. As soon as Immigration opened at 7am, we were immediately allowed to leave the ship. Immigration was very fast. They were very nice and looked at our paperwork very fast and sent us on our way.

I did not see any dogs and I saw lots of people with lots of luggage. We put our liquor in our bags and they didn't even ask if we had purchased any to turn in the little tag we received. They just want to get you off the ship and on your way.

Carrying luggage ON the ship is another story. You have to have carry on size bags (like for the airlines) to do that. The bags must fit in the x-ray machine. We did this as well. It was great! Highly recommend carrying your bags on and off the ship, especially if you are driving to and from the port. the only way to to for us!

The self-help disembarkment has special tags, you fill out a form ahead of time for this. Although the time is early, you do not have to disembark at this time, you can disembark any time after the express tags are called.

I think it's a great idea for those who pack very light. If you have a large suitcase, or a number of bags, it can be very difficult. So use you best judgement when deciding if it is a good idea for you.

I've actually never had anyone pay attention to what bag colors are called. If you disembark before your tag color, chances are the luggage for your group is not out yet.

Archived