Advice for newbie

Weelynn

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Haha!  Reminds of Home Alone when they forgot Kevin!   You clearly are filling a much needed role!  Thanks for sharing!

That's funny, my one nephews name is Kevin.  And believe it or not my dingbat sister did leave him home the one time...we were only 3 houses away when she realized it.  She was putting the stuff in the car, she thought he got in the car, but he went in to get his pillow and layed back on the bed to sleep until she had the car packed.  Only reason she realized he was not in the car was because she was asking if he used the bathroom before getting in the car.

• Haha 5

Just now, kimberlym322 said:

That's funny, my one nephews name is Kevin.  And believe it or not my dingbat sister did leave him home the one time...we were only 3 houses away when she realized it.  She was putting the stuff in the car, she thought he got in the car, but he went in to get his pillow and layed back on the bed to sleep until she had the car packed.  Only reason she realized he was not in the car was because she was asking if he used the bathroom before getting in the car.

OMG!  Hahahaha..

9 hours ago, kimberlym322 said:

I always carry a deck of cards, in case there is down time when there is nothing going on that we want to do.  We have them in the outside pocket of our luggage that isn't big enough for much...we keep the pen, highlighter, cards, zip ties, mini notebook, and pack of 6 thank you cards in it.    The paperback books, I take one or two and when I get done reading them leave them on the ship for someone else to read...But with the OP going over seas for the cruise it is better just to take a kindle.

Yeah We will be both giving our kindles a good workout lol 😊

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 5:51 AM, Weelynn said:

Hi cruisers. First time cruisers here. Booked on 3 b2b cruises next year on celebrity edge. Just wondering if any of you lovely people have any tips and handy hints for us.  

If you have medications, take a least a week's worth of extra meds just in case things change.

Purchase Travel Insurance so you're covered if anything happens to you or the cruise. If you have not seen the news recently, a passenger got pneumonia on a recent cruise, had to be evacuated from her ship and is spending 12-20 days in a hospital to recover in Jamaica. She does not have travel insurance so she's on the hook to pay for everything, including travel back to the U.S. The cruise lines do not cover anything like that and if you purchase travel insurance through the cruise line, it's much more limiting than if you purchase quality third party insurance.

You'll need less luggage than you think. You can have laundry done at the halfway point of each cruise, so pack enough clothes for 7, maybe 10 days and just have them go through the laundry.

Specialty dining can get expensive for that long of travel, so pace yourself with the spending. 

If you think there's a chance you might get seasick, investigate sea bands (the brand Sea Bands), the behind the ear patch and other meds. Crew members also swear by green apples for sea sickness. If you feel it coming on, get to the lower decks and midship. Such as Deck 5 midship. That will be the smoothest ride on the ship if the seas get rough. The higher you are on the ship the more you'll feel the side to side movement.  

That's all I can think of at the moment, if you have any other questions, feel free to ping them here. I also have a TikTok channel with hundreds of first time cruiser tips that might be helpful. Link in the signature. 

Most of all HAVE FUN! 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, ldubs said:

You are very organized and proactive when it comes to packing!  Mrs Ldubs is more like you than me, but she doesn't start packing until a week or two prior to embarkation.  Me, I would be happy packing the night before, but  am frequently not allowed to get away with that.   I typically don't need to make lists or  buy anything for a cruise.  For me it is more of a matter of just moving what I have from the closet to the luggage.  

Every time I see comments about packing it reminds me of a previous comment on another thread about light weight jeans.  Casual jeans are heavy and in my opinion a few pair take up more than their fair share of the weight allowance.     I want those lighter weight ones, but alas the ones mentioned were for women and that won't work for me.  I admit this is a strange concern, but it is on my mind and I in fact might look for some alternative lighter weight every day trousers for our upcoming September cruise.  

My son loves banana republic traveler pants, and they come in denim (LUXE denim is the lightest).

• Thanks 1