Tipping on Ecilipse

Brownbear19

The Celebrity website states that when you book your cruise from the Australian/NZ Celebrity website that tipping is included in the price.   What tipping would be included?  Would it just be room stewards?  What about at the bars?   What about room service?

We are new to cruising and come from a country where tipping is not common but want to make sure that we do the right thing.  HELP!!

Room Service is free.  No tip required, although some give anywhere from $1 to $5 depending on what was ordered.

The cost of bar beverages at the bar and services such as spa massages and the like, the tip is included in the price.  Additionally, although not actually a tip, gratuities are included in the price.

If you have a favorite bartender or sommelier, some will leave a tip, but it is not required.  It is at your discretion.

We have always found tipping difficult to navigate, so are happy that cruises sold in Australia have to have gratuities included by law.  However we usually also have some extra cash put aside for our room steward for good service (only on one cruise have we not given extra), our favourite barpeople, and our waiters as we have fixed time dining.  It is up to you if you want to give extra and the amount you want if you do want to. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Always tip for room service. $3 - $5 works.

I have tried to find the answer to tipping for room service and it is not something that is spelled out on the website. I have used room service for breakfast a couple of times a few years ago, and the server was in and out so fast, there was no chance to tip.

Edited by laslomas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rondo said:

Should tips be given in AU dollars or NZ dollars? The ship leaves from Australia, but most of the ports are in NZ. 

If I had to guess, if the ship homeport is in Aus, then the crew might prefer tipping in AU dollars.  Only guessing.

6 minutes ago, Rondo said:

Should tips be given in AU dollars or NZ dollars? The ship leaves from Australia, but most of the ports are in NZ. 

We still do US dollars, but I don't think it would matter if you did either of the others.  However at the moment I am not sure what NZ's rules are for crew leaving the ship, and I know that Australia was being quite strict with the couple that are currently cruising right now.

54 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I have tried to find the answer to tipping for room service and it is not something that is spelled out on the website. I have used room service for breakfast a couple of times a few years ago, and the server was in and out so fast, there was no chance to tip.

They are in a hurry and have many more rooms to visit (and tips to collect) during breakfast. Be ready with the cash and stand between the server and the doorway so he needs to get past you on the way back out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

Don't rely on Celebrity website to find the answers, all their promos say, relax don't worry, tips we got you covered, IMO they really don't from my personal perspective anyway.  I'd say come here to get the real info but it is such a hot topic and causes lots and lots of dissention. I guess you can go to various travel sites, travel writers and you will get a much more unbiased suggested tipping guide than you will from many here (myself included) as cruisers are a all over the map on their personal views, so perhaps reading from professional travel guides will give you a more balanced and unobjective discussion.   

Thanks for the replies on which currency to use. Am I correct that when the crew spend their money on the ship it is in US dollars?  So they could potentially spend US dollars on ship and AU (home port) if they are allowed to leave? If that is the case, I will give them whatever we have in remaining AU dollars as we will need to get rid of most of it before going home and then finish off with US dollars. 

• Like 1

I find like others that the crew that delivers room service don't really expect to be tipped and are in and out in a flash.  Having a small tip ready has always been happily accepted.

When delivered by room steward or personal retreat host we hold off and factor the room service delivery into our final tip at the end of the sailing.