Bermuda—Prima or Joy

laudergayle

We’re looking at a Bermuda cruise in May 2023.  We have two options…looking for CC opinions.  Both options are almost same price.  Option 1 — first week of May in a “balcony” cabin on PRIMA.  Option 2 — last week of May in a “club balcony” cabin on JOY.  Considerations: weather, spring break, ship.  TIA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

We’re looking at a Bermuda cruise in May 2023.  We have two options…looking for CC opinions.  Both options are almost same price.  Option 1 — first week of May in a “balcony” cabin on PRIMA.  Option 2 — last week of May in a “club balcony” cabin on JOY.  Considerations: weather, spring break, ship.  TIA

Hi Tia, at the same price I'd go with whichever offers the better cabin!

• Like 1

I would personally opt for 1st week in May on Prima. It's the newest ship and you avoid the Memorial Day holiday crowds that you'll get with a sailing in the last week. Club balcony perks on the Joy are nothing to write home about to make it a truly 'better' room.

• Like 3

I never been on either cruise ship. As to answer your questions, I would personally choose Prima over Joy. Take a look at the layout of each cruise ship and see which ones you like better. For example, some cruise ships have more shading areas than others and some have different restaurants.

• Like 2

I really like the Joy. I think they have a nice ropes course and fun waterslide. 

Up to you if you want to try something new on the Prima. 

IDK what the food situation will be like on the Joy MDR, as it may be fixed by next year. 

9 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Go with the new ship, the Prima (the room is slightly smaller and the balcony is slightly smaller, but the ship is brand new)

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

Prima will have thermal spa and vibe beach club if that is something you are looking for your sea days.  I have sailed to Bermuda during the first week of May.  While beautiful, the water was too cold for me to swim in.  We did a nice catamaran excursion, I just didn't opt for the snorkeling.

Joy has the observation lounge which is really nice, but its not really a scenic cruise.But you will get warmer temps with warmer sea water.

• Like 1

Either ship you cannot go wrong. We were on the 5/29 Memorial Day weekend sailing of the Joy to Bermuda in Club Balcony. Great Ship. Weather was beautiful. High 70’s/Low 80’s every day. Warm water at Horseshoe Bay beach. Given the fact the Schools do not close until late June here in the North East /NY Metro area, you should not have a problem being over run by kids. We had maybe 100 children on the ship this sailing all young. My 13 and 8 YO grandchildren were on the ship with us and only found 1 child to hang out with.  No issue with pools, hot tubs or slides. 
Mike A

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Joy doesn’t have the ropes course. Only Breakaway, Getaway and Escape have it. 

Thanks for the correction. I don't recall what ships are what. After doing so many over the years, they all start to run together. I may have been on the Haven on Joy, but I honestly can't remember. 

We're on the Prima to Bermuda for the May 2023 sailing. We love to sail on a new ship, plus their Mandara Spa looks awesome. We prefer a ship with the Mandara Spa. Joy doesn't have one. Love the layout of Prima. Can't wait to experience their theater and dining venues. Looking forward to Prima reviews.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Go with the new ship, the Prima (the room is slightly smaller and the balcony is slightly smaller, but the ship is brand new)

That food situation tho. Really bothers me. 

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

What food situation? 

The Prima will be the first ship in the fleet to have an expanded non-changing menu in the MDR each evening.  A pick your pasta will also be a choice as well as a single entree from one of the specialty venues.  It will expand into the rest of the fleet in 2023.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

What food situation? 

Sorry. I thought you were being cheeky as I am not happy about the food situation. 

Yes, NCL will become more like MSC in that there will be an expanded pasta situation. The twist is that it will be a fixed menu. Many feel that it is a way for NCL to get you to buy more specialty dinning. I refuse to pay for specialty dinning and am not happy with the changes despite the menu not being published. The CEO said something like, how many different ways can you cook chicken and beef, as his reasoning as to why they are switching to the fixed menu. I am not happy about it to say the least. 

• Like 1

It's no different from the current Haven menu. There's about 8 or so choices, and that menu never changes the entire trip. So again, to me, what food situation?

It's not like they're saying they will only offer 5 items on the menu. From what others have been sharing it sounds like it will still be quite extensive in the options. You do also realize that at least half of the current MDR menu doesn't change each night either, right? There's the section called 'classics' or whatever it is which never changes, as well as half the apps.

Plus the food truck things, which are free.

Plus The Local, which is free.

Unless you're on a 14 night trip and wanted to eat something completely different every single night and had a restricted diet where you don't eat half the offerings, I'm really not sure it's going to be as horrific as some folks are acting.

I mean crikey, I guess we're the odd balls out. Even at home in a 2 week period we'll repeat some meals. As a kid, Friday night was always a treat with pizza night, every, single, Friday.  *Gasp* How low-brow of us!

On 8/6/2022 at 6:43 PM, BirdTravels said:

Oh great, smaller rooms and balconies. We had a Club Balcony on the Getaway, and Boss Lady still complains about today if we talk cruising, now we are talking "small" on the Prima also !

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

Oh great, smaller rooms and balconies. We had a Club Balcony on the Getaway, and Boss Lady still complains about today if we talk cruising, now we are talking "small" on the Prima also !

@BirdTravelswas referencing the difference in cabin size from Club Bslcony on the Joy vs a Balcony on Prima…just saying a Prima Balcony is smaller than a Club.