12 oz or 16 oz Beer Cans

dljones

On the first day of our last Carnival cruise in 2016 out of Galveston, they could only sell 12 oz beers until they got into international waters or something of that nature. Does anyone know if that is still the case? I also heard they have switched from 16 oz aluminum bottles to 16 oz cans if anyone can comment on that. 

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

16 ounce cans and buckets are now 6 beers and cost the most on the first day (maybe two days) and get a little cheaper as the cruise goes on. This is how it was for Panorama anyway and they usually do things fleet wide. 

I don’t recall drinks going down in price on Panorama or any of our five cruises since RE-start.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruises from Galveston will have a limited Texas menu on the first day, until they reach international waters. From what I recall, most beers will be in 12oz cans, unless you order draft. 

As far as the the the switch from the aluminum bottles to 16 oz cans, Miller and Bud were served in 16 oz cans last month on the Valor. Not Texas, but just some insight. 

• Thanks 1

I prefer the bottles because you can close the lid. It’s rare that the beer is cold enough when it’s served. With the bottles I can put the lid back on and put it in the cooler. Usually once we get to know the bartenders they would not open them and I’d put it straight into the cooler.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IrishSails said:

I prefer the bottles because you can close the lid. It’s rare that the beer is cold enough when it’s served. With the bottles I can put the lid back on and put it in the cooler. Usually once we get to know the bartenders they would not open them and I’d put it straight into the cooler.

I've never been served a beer that wasn't cold enough. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I don’t recall drinks going down in price on Panorama or any of our five cruises since RE-start.  

The buckets were like $52 (or there about) and went down to around $46, I guess it could have been some kind of taxes that I missed. 

21 hours ago, IrishSails said:

Me too! I bring a long a small soft side cooler with me and kindly ask the bartenders fill it with ice. I typically put my beer in the freezer for an hour or so before I drink them to get them cold enough for my liking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Day one taxes till about 600 when you hit international waters.

13 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The buckets were like $52 (or there about) and went down to around $46, I guess it could have been some kind of taxes that I missed. 

$52 for 4 beers or is it 6 now?

12 hours ago, dljones said:

$52 for 4 beers or is it 6 now?

A bucket is 6 beers.  Once in international waters (normally about an hour out of port if sailing from a shore / beach departure) $42 plus 18% gratuity.  $7 each for a 16oz can plus 18%.  A savings of either $2 or $3, can't recall which for purchasing by the bucket.  Now, if sailing out of New Orleans, it takes like 8 hrs just to get to the ocean.  Been a long time so I can't recall when the local sales tax was removed.  May be about 9 hours before into international waters.  

20 hours ago, dljones said:

Me too! I bring a long a small soft side cooler with me and kindly ask the bartenders fill it with ice. I typically put my beer in the freezer for an hour or so before I drink them to get them cold enough for my liking.

If you go to Amber Cove or Grand Turk and have Cheers, use the small soft side filled with ice and unopened beers to take ashore.

• Thanks 1