On Board the Crown Princess! Aug 6-13

llarsen

11 hours ago, llarsen said:

The Medallion did not work on day one for opening my brother in laws stateroom door. The management could get in with their key cards but could not get their Medallion to unlock the door. After 3 hours they issued them key cards for their stateroom door (after they waited in line an hour at customer relations). When they came back up with their key cards....THEY DID NOT WORK! They ended up moving them to another stateroom. They also sent them flowers for the inconvenience.

The battery in the door was probably dead. This happened to us on the Discovery. They didn't move us (likely couldn't - we were in a suite). The just changed the battery.

19 hours ago, scott4020 said:

The buffett was a huge disappointment after cruising on Royal Class ships, too small and crowded, very limited selection on everything especially deserts. I get better food at a Golden Corral.

Oh, now that's a low blow.😁

Keep us informed. 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:52 AM, cruisings8z said:

Thank you for the detailed update.  A friend and I are sailing 8/20. You are certainly correct about them selling that original itinerary allllll season despite knowing about it. We purchased 59 days out,  and it was for the original itinerary.  They only told us 3 weeks out. They were still selling the original, too, even after that. I checked. They only updated it permanently when the landslide happened and everyone else also started having to go to Icy. Although Crown is still going to Skagway, I think they were only willing to tell potential customers the truth (that Ketchikan was cancelled for Icy) when their competitors were having to dock there, too. 

We are still excited. I feel bad for people on this week's sailing as there are flood warnings since it is raining so hard. I am hoping weather is better for us.

I did wonder about the awful long time on board since the first and second day is all sailing and then she has been calling late in Juneau, at 4 pm. Then after Icy Straight, another day and most of a whole day to
get to Victoria. Any suggestions? I am thinking games and puzzles.

I'm sorry to hear that you are another victim of Princess deceit.

The amount of time at sea really got to us. It was so boring and just not enough entertainment. Bingo is quit expensive to play on the ship.  If you and your friend enjoy cards/puzzles/games or reading...that will certainly help. We did see people playing cards or a game in the Crown Grill during the day and at various places inside where they found a place to sit at a table.

A day in Ketchikan would have made a big difference. We had really looked forward to the forest hike and hoped to see a bears and salmon on a tour. But it was just another loooooong day at sea. I look at my photos and I have nothing. This was an Alaska drive-by.

The Chillkoot tour we took on our day in Skagway is the only day I actually have photos of.

By the time we got into the ports of Juneau, (Icy Straight was a joke) and Victoria,  you really don't have much time to do anything. The shops at Buschart Gardens closed at 6:00pm before we even got there! 

I really hope you have some sunshine on your cruise, and that you see all of Glacier Bay or something to make it more exciting than what we experienced. 

Please post about your experience. Wishing you the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The battery in the door was probably dead. This happened to us on the Discovery. They didn't move us (likely couldn't - we were in a suite). The just changed the battery.

You'd think they would know if that was the case, but who knows??? lol. That sure would have been a lot easier!  There were many levels of service there trying to get their door working but no one mentioned the battery. Makes sense though.

The crew was fabulous in our opinion. Always friendly and going out of their way to accommodate people from what we could see.

I felt sorry for those working in Guest Relations / Customer Service. I'm sure they heard many complaints, and none of it was their fault. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I sailed 8/20 and really loved the cruise. Glacier Bay made me cry it was so beautiful. Dining was hit or miss but each day we found food we enjoyed. Especially dessert, Italian Night, lobster (was cooked perfectly). Many passengers actually did 2 excursions per port, so I feel time was enough. We made all ports and even early. I wish everyone had our experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1