What to do in town in Mexican Riviera? (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta)

zhuangcorp

In Cabo, we took a ship's water excursion (with an early departure, but not a very long boat ride) because it would get us early tender tickets. Then we just walked the waterfront around the bay right there and souvenir shopped and drank margaritas. I assume there is more of the town to explore but we didn't.

Have not been to Mazatlan, but will be visiting twice (on a B2B next winter). We are booked to do the Salsa & Salsa ship excursion on one of them, and have read up and cut-pasted the map for the "blue line" in the sidewalk that will lead you into town.

At Puerto Vallarta, you can walk out of the port and catch a local bus (driver will take US$). The one marked El Centro takes you toward the Malecon which is the touristy beach waterfront. You can walk the length of it and people watch; stop for margaritas on the sand. (Do you sense a theme here?) Once you come to or cross the little stream, head inland (memory says just a couple blocks) and either catch the bus back the other way or hail a taxi. Or if you are more of a walker than we are, walk back part of the way and explore the non-touristy streets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

In Cabo, we took a ship's water excursion (with an early departure, but not a very long boat ride) because it would get us early tender tickets. Then we just walked the waterfront around the bay right there and souvenir shopped and drank margaritas. I assume there is more of the town to explore but we didn't.

Have not been to Mazatlan, but will be visiting twice (on a B2B next winter). We are booked to do the Salsa & Salsa ship excursion on one of them, and have read up and cut-pasted the map for the "blue line" in the sidewalk that will lead you into town.

At Puerto Vallarta, you can walk out of the port and catch a local bus (driver will take US$). The one marked El Centro takes you toward the Malecon which is the touristy beach waterfront. You can walk the length of it and people watch; stop for margaritas on the sand. (Do you sense a theme here?) Once you come to or cross the little stream, head inland (memory says just a couple blocks) and either catch the bus back the other way or hail a taxi. Or if you are more of a walker than we are, walk back part of the way and explore the non-touristy streets.

How much per person does the bus cost from cruise terminal to Malecon?

43 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

I'm thinking it might actually be cheaper to just Uber down to Malecon. Especially if we just share with 2 more fellow cruisers. 

I think it’s going to cost a lot more than $3 in a Uber.  I went downtown several years ago and I’m sure a cab was likely around $10.  Uber isn’t going to be that much cheaper.  As I recall it was more to come back to the port.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think it’s going to cost a lot more than $3 in a Uber.  I went downtown several years ago and I’m sure a cab was likely around $10.  Uber isn’t going to be that much cheaper.  As I recall it was more to come back to the port.

Oh ok. Is this the closest/correct bus station to take into Centro?

https://goo.gl/maps/FL2WQqNKhVyorNN77

1 minute ago, zhuangcorp said:

Oh ok. Is this the closest/correct bus station to take into Centro?

https://goo.gl/maps/FL2WQqNKhVyorNN77

Yikes!  This is hard for me to read on my iPad.  I’ve been there a ton of times but I can’t tell from this.  There is a stop just outside the gates in Puerto Vallarta but I think there might be more than one gate but I may be wrong.  Last visit to Puerto Vallarta we were parked at a different pier which was a pain and if you are there I have no idea where the stop might be. 

I'm just looking at the google maps, and I assume the cruise ship docks at "Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port". 

From there, it looks like there is a "Puerto Magico" mall right across from the cruise port. And it looks like beyond the mall and looping around the corner, there is a bus station. 

2 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

I'm just looking at the google maps, and I assume the cruise ship docks at "Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port". 

From there, it looks like there is a "Puerto Magico" mall right across from the cruise port. And it looks like beyond the mall and looping around the corner, there is a bus station. 

You would get off the bus coming back from downtown on the mall side.  You don’t have to go to a station.  There are bus stops, usually with a fair amount of people at them.  You would catch the bus to go downtown on the same side of the street as the port.

• Like 1

One of the early posts says that Puerto Vallarta bus drivers will accept US Dollars and I would correct that to say that "sometimes" a bus driver will accept dollars.  But the new buses use a fare machine (which do not always work) and the drivers do not need to accept Dollars.  Living in PV for 10 weeks a year and using buses many times each week we have watched folks panic when drivers refused their dollars.   If they do take dollars they might accept $1 a person which is about double the fare in Pesos.

I would also add that there is no "bus station" on the Puerto Magico (port side) of the main road.  There is a major "bus stop" across the road in front of Walmart/Sams, but that large stop is primarily for buses going North of Puerto Vallarta to places like Nuevo Vallarta, Bucerias, and Sayulita.   There are a couple of "bus stops" on the port side (Puerto Magico) of the main road and the closest to your pier would depend on which of the three piers your ship is docked.  If you are docked at Pier 3 you would walk out to the main road and turn left (there is a bus stop near the Northwest corner.  If you are docked at Piers 1 and 2 you would come out to the main road and turn right, and you will soon see the bus stop.

Hank

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

One of the early posts says that Puerto Vallarta bus drivers will accept US Dollars and I would correct that to say that "sometimes" a bus driver will accept dollars.  But the new buses use a fare machine (which do not always work) and the drivers do not need to accept Dollars.  Living in PV for 10 weeks a year and using buses many times each week we have watched folks panic when drivers refused their dollars.   If they do take dollars they might accept $1 a person which is about double the fare in Pesos.

I would also add that there is no "bus station" on the Puerto Magico (port side) of the main road.  There is a major "bus stop" across the road in front of Walmart/Sams, but that large stop is primarily for buses going North of Puerto Vallarta to places like Nuevo Vallarta, Bucerias, and Sayulita.   There are a couple of "bus stops" on the port side (Puerto Magico) of the main road and the closest to your pier would depend on which of the three piers your ship is docked.  If you are docked at Pier 3 you would walk out to the main road and turn left (there is a bus stop near the Northwest corner.  If you are docked at Piers 1 and 2 you would come out to the main road and turn right, and you will soon see the bus stop.

Hank

When you say main road, do you mean Av Francisco Medina?

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks for correcting me, Hank! I knew that US$1 was more than the fare in pesos, but getting peso coins ahead of time might be difficult for some of us. Your experience is so valuable!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Thanks for correcting me, Hank! I knew that US$1 was more than the fare in pesos, but getting peso coins ahead of time might be difficult for some of us. Your experience is so valuable!

When we give advice on using Pesos vs Dollars in Mexico we have always been careful to suggest that for many cruisers it might make more sense to just get along with US Dollars and a major credit card that does not charge a foreign exchange fee.    But the caveat is that when you try to use dollars in Mexico you will generally pay a premium for everything!  Stores, taxi drivers, bars, restaurants, etc will not usually give you a decent exchange rate (Walmart is a major exception).  But lets assume that a cruiser will pay 10-20% more (on average) by using dollars over Pesos.    Unless you are spending a lot of cash, paying that premium may not be a bad option.  If you get a pile of Pesos out of a bank ATM (the only way most folks should get Pesos) you may find yourself stuck with some Pesos at the end of the trip.  And just getting to an ATM and getting Pesos might be more of a hassle than just using dollars.

That being said, we do consider PV our 2nd home and we only use Pesos when in PV (or anywhere else in Mexico).  And none of our friends who live or spend a lot of time in PV use dollars.    Also do not forget my other general rule about Mexico in that there are 3 sets of prices:  1. the price Mexicans pay, 2.  Gringo pricing and 3. Special pricing for those from cruise ships.   And as you might imagine it is the #3 price that is the highest (by far).  Mexicans are great entrepreneurs, and they see cruise ship passengers as "easy marks."   A smart cruiser might be able to bargain down to normal "gringo prices."  Getting the prices Mexicans pay is something left to the pros and even that is not usually good enough.  When we have been successful in bargaining a vendor down to something close to "Mexican prices" I will usually spend the rest of the day feeling guilty!

Hank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

How much per person does the bus cost from cruise terminal to Malecon?

It will be 10 Pesos per person per ride. Many drivers will accept US 1,- per person per ride, but certainly not all of them!

On the way back look for signs like Sams, airport etc. on the window. Be aware there are 2 Walmarts in Vallarta. So check if you see the Walmart sign if the bus goes to the right one. 

Federal cabs from the terminal charge in US$ per person. They cannot pick you up on the return. The yellow/white cabs on the highway and in town charge per ride, but always make the price before entering.  Uber is possible not just at the terminal but some place outside.

Edited by Ine

10 hours ago, Ine said:

It will be 10 Pesos per person per ride. Many drivers will accept US 1,- per person per ride, but certainly not all of them!

On the way back look for signs like Sams, airport etc. on the window. Be aware there are 2 Walmarts in Vallarta. So check if you see the Walmart sign if the bus goes to the right one. 

Federal cabs from the terminal charge in US$ per person. They cannot pick you up on the return. The yellow/white cabs on the highway and in town charge per ride, but always make the price before entering.  Uber is possible not just at the terminal but some place outside.

I just checked and I still have 150 pesos from going to Tijuana last time. But do the buses give change? or do you need to have change yourself?

Hi.I’ve read through the posts and the boards for the Mexican riviera. Cannot or didn’t see a post to tell me if I just want to get off the ship and get a snack and people watch how far do I need to go from the pier. Some days I have more mobility issues than others so might just send my wonderful husband out on his own on a tour and stay onboard. Thanks everyone.

2 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

I just checked and I still have 150 pesos from going to Tijuana last time. But do the buses give change? or do you need to have change yourself?

I'd be shocked if they gave change.  They quit doing that where I live decades ago because of robbery.  I do take the airport bus from time to time where I live and people just get on without any sort of change and the driver gives them a pass.  My tax dollars down the drain.  I've taken the bus in Fort Lauderdale and LA.  I always carry a lot of dollar bills and coin so I'll be prepared.

1 hour ago, Chickadee910 said:

Hi.I’ve read through the posts and the boards for the Mexican riviera. Cannot or didn’t see a post to tell me if I just want to get off the ship and get a snack and people watch how far do I need to go from the pier. Some days I have more mobility issues than others so might just send my wonderful husband out on his own on a tour and stay onboard. Thanks everyone.

If you dock at the regular dock (sorry I don't know the name of it)in Puerto Vallarta there is a nice new pier.  There are several places to buy food there as I recall.  I'm fairly sure there are a number of benches.  Its right off the ship.

Of the 3 port stops which is best for whale watching? 

Is the cultural tour of Mazatlán worth it? 

Which of the 3 stops has the most chill vibes laid back beach with chairs, umbrella and buckets of pacificos lol

TIA 

Our first time on Mexican Rivera.. Booked on Jan 28, 2023 on Solstice.