Prime Rib/Lobster

Brieanna817

You can order off the bottom section of the menu "Steak House Selections" but these will be at upcharge and you will have to pay for the steak and/or lobster.  This is on the menu in the link you referenced.  So, it is available, it just isn't free.

Otherwise, no lobster on 4 days.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Beware, the Prime Rib on Carnival is anything but Prime.  I'm not sure it would rate any higher than Select.

The Prime in Prime Rib (any of them) doesn't refer to the USDA grade. I almost always have it at least once per cruise.

51 minutes ago, wemjam said:

You can order off the bottom section of the menu "Steak House Selections" but these will be at upcharge and you will have to pay for the steak and/or lobster.  This is on the menu in the link you referenced.  So, it is available, it just isn't free.

Otherwise, no lobster on 4 days.

The lobster under Steak House Selection is superior to the complementary lobster served on longer Carnival cruises.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

There is no comparison!

Doesn't one lobster taste the same as another? I think you get a bigger portion in the steak house perhaps. What is the difference as you describe? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, dljones said:

Doesn't one lobster taste the same as another? I think you get a bigger portion in the steak house perhaps. What is the difference as you describe? Thanks!

The one that you get free is usually smaller, but more importantly usually overcooked and tasteless.

The steakhouse tends to be more flavorful, larger and plumper.

IMHO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dljones said:

The MDR included lobster tail is that if a warm water lobster (the same type offered in those Florida all-you-can-eat lobster buffets).  It may no longer be the case (thanks to cutbacks) but the Steakhouse upcharge lobster tail used to be that of Maine lobster, IIRC.  Warm water lobster is very different in taste and texture from Maine lobster.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE fresh-caught, fresh cooked Abaco lobster.  But that is not the quality of warm water lobster we're getting in the Carnival MDR.

Edited by ShakyBeef
punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

The MDR included lobster tail is that if a warm water lobster (the same type offered in those Florida all-you-can-eat lobster buffets).  It may no longer be the case (thanks to cutbacks) but the Steakhouse upcharge lobster tail used to be that of Maine lobster, IIRC.  Warm water lobster is very different in taste and texture from Maine lobster.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE fresh-caught, fresh cooked Abaco lobster.  But that is not the quality of warm water lobster we're getting in the Carnival MDR.

Good points....when we were served the lobster in MDR, I couldn't believe how tiny it was...later found out it was ( as you noted), a spiny lobster. Pretty bland, and yes over cooked. Nothing like the East Coast Lobsters...mmmmmmm

1 minute ago, topaz123 said:

Good points....when we were served the lobster in MDR, I couldn't believe how tiny it was...later found out it was ( as you noted), a spiny lobster. Pretty bland, and yes over cooked. Nothing like the East Coast Lobsters...mmmmmmm

If you've never had good spiny lobster lobster before, try it fresh in the Bahamas.  It is fabulous when fresh-caught and cooked properly.  Abaco lobster is not as good as conch, but definitely among my favourite Bahamian foods.  Darn, now I'm drooling thinking about Bahamian food again.😋

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:15 PM, BlerkOne said:

The lobster under Steak House Selection is superior to the complementary lobster served on longer Carnival cruises.

Is it the same as surf n turf in steak house. I'm never sure if I get a lesser lobster with surf n turf in steak house.

Imo pay restaurants are a great value on carnival ... at least to me vs rcl prices.

I've always ordered the surf n turf. Now that isnt available on rcl. Lobster is a $26 up charge or something ridiculous. I dont care if it's 1.5 lbs .. that's too big anyway, and doesn't come with steak. Yes lobster in rcl steak house is a up charge...above what you pay to eat there. 

I finally reached BOGO on rcl but cant do izumi, not included in BOGO perk and now cant order surf n turf except on carnival. I really enjoyed doing pay restaurants on vista. Such a bargain. 

Still looking for a bargain out of Galveston that fits into my already booked but 2023 and 2024 pretty wide open. 2024 just the 14 day carnival dream. No place better to do pay restaurants than carnival. Such a bargain. 

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

If you've never had good spiny lobster lobster before, try it fresh in the Bahamas.  It is fabulous when fresh-caught and cooked properly.  Abaco lobster is not as good as conch, but definitely among my favourite Bahamian foods.  Darn, now I'm drooling thinking about Bahamian food again.😋

I was wondering if it has a lot to do with freshness.  Do they cook the Steakhouse options for MDR to order?.....as opposed to the free lobster night on longer cruises, where i assume they cook a couple thousand of them ahead and keep warm. 

31 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

I was wondering if it has a lot to do with freshness.  Do they cook the Steakhouse options for MDR to order?.....as opposed to the free lobster night on longer cruises, where i assume they cook a couple thousand of them ahead and keep warm. 

I don't know if they do but I would hope so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

While there might be one somewhere, I've never seen a live lobster tank on a cruise line. Think all of the lobster served was frozen - wherever it came from.

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

While there might be one somewhere, I've never seen a live lobster tank on a cruise line. Think all of the lobster served was frozen - wherever it came from.

Most likely correct.

20 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I had no idea they were different lobster species. Interesting.

1 hour ago, dljones said:

I had no idea they were different lobster species. Interesting.

Maine or New England lobsters are what rcl features. Supposed to be extra good tasting. At that price rcl can keep them.

If they are maine lobsters the menu will say so. ..and so will the prices. 

Not what we get free, which tastes fine to me. I love any lobster. I even love the lobster rolls on carnival with buttered lobster. ..now I need a carnival cruise. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, topaz123 said:

However, they DO expect you to order more than one lobster tail in the MDR, and provision the ship before embark accordingly.  Our server encouraged my sister to order a second lobster tail, and then he "strongly suggested" she get a third.  🙂  

During the BtF Tour, the chef de cuisine on the Imagination (may she r.i.p.) told us ten years ago that the record on Imagination at the time was 17 lobster tails eaten at one sitting.  The fleetwide record?  22.  😮  😮   

18 hours ago, ARcruisin2 said:

I suspected this too.  The type of lobster is certainly different so they are preparing one type in masses for main dining room.  But then when they do get a steak house lobster order, they have to prepare that one right then.  Which would account for why the one seems fresher and not dried out.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, ShakyBeef said:

Just curious, is there a specific "cutback" you're referring to?