Will Pre-board testing be scrapped?

adoctor

Day 5 of isolation on the Sojourn and I am trolling all the topics on CC (maybe I am just bored!). We expect to be joining you on the Quest for the Grand Voyage in January, Markham, and I promise not to bring my close friend Covid 19 with me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanAmBrit said:

Day 5 of isolation on the Sojourn and I am trolling all the topics on CC (maybe I am just bored!). We expect to be joining you on the Quest for the Grand Voyage in January, Markham, and I promise not to bring my close friend Covid 19 with me.

Sorry to hear this, hope you get released soon

On 8/9/2022 at 2:49 AM, markham said:

Oh please! Getting yourself tested within 2 days of sailing and complying with common sense rules is not a hardship. It helps deliver a safer ship - for the enjoyment of everyone on board and the welfare of the cruise line’s staff. No one needs or wants virus-positive people to embark and then spread the virus. That’s what this is about.

I couldn’t agree more. It’s such a small ask. Yet so many are waiting for the testing requirement to be dropped. And when I ask “Why?” they say “Because I fear I won’t be allowed on the ship!”. So you’d rather board Covid-positive and infect everyone else?! Bizarre. 

11 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I couldn’t agree more. It’s such a small ask. Yet so many are waiting for the testing requirement to be dropped. And when I ask “Why?” they say “Because I fear I won’t be allowed on the ship!”. So you’d rather board Covid-positive and infect everyone else?! Bizarre. 

I have a different point of view, that doesn't seem at all bizarre to me. Getting a test is indeed a small ask. Risking being denied boarding after flying half way across the world when you have no symptoms is a bigger ask, as is risking being confined to a cabin for several days. We don't test for colds, flu or norovirus - we take common sense precautions to reduce the risks of catching and spreading them. Covid isn't going away. At some point (and the CDC has now pretty well reached that point) we need to accept it is endemic and treat is as we we do flu.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DaveA said:

At some point (and the CDC has now pretty well reached that point) we need to accept it is endemic and treat is as we we do flu.

I agree that we are moving that direction--but a bit slowly.  I think the current issue is this---if guests are not Covid free at the beginning of a cruise, they will certainly expose others.  And, as long as those who test positive onboard are quarantined, it is a big deal to be exposed and come down with the virus.  

I agree and I hope we reach that point where we treat it like flu.

However, there are those that just wouldn't confine themselves to their suite for a couple of days, until they felt better, they would just carry on as if they didn't have it, when they know they do.  If we get to this point of treating it like flu, I would like to think I will always carry antigens with me, and test, and then keep myself to myself, if I were to be positive.  

Pre-Covid I remember one cruise in particular where a passenger was obviously poorly, a hacking cough, spluttering, sneezing all over the place every day.. why was she at the buffet, and mixing with people?  If that were covid, she could've infected the whole ship!  

There appears to be no relevance to testing asymptomatic

people, even per the behind -the -times CDC. The science is

important…no more 6 feet,etc.

You might feel that it makes everyone safer, ( along w folks who

think those airport questions keep us safer…..what terrorist is

going to say I’m packing a bomb!) but it doesn’t.

We are on a cruise which is 14 days, all ports. Many passengers

will be off in many or all of them. Hopefully the crew gets some

time ashore. I hope for good hygiene coupled with respect for

others if you feel ill. Equally applicable to flu and norovirus. JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DaveA said:

I have a different point of view, that doesn't seem at all bizarre to me. Getting a test is indeed a small ask. Risking being denied boarding after flying half way across the world when you have no symptoms is a bigger ask, as is risking being confined to a cabin for several days. We don't test for colds, flu or norovirus - we take common sense precautions to reduce the risks of catching and spreading them. Covid isn't going away. At some point (and the CDC has now pretty well reached that point) we need to accept it is endemic and treat is as we we do flu.

I tend to agree with you.  Covid has been around for a few years now.  Most of us have either had it, or know many people that have had it.  We have seen how it manifests.  We may have had personal experience of the terrible affects in some people, and also the very minor way it impacts the vast majority.  Fortunately in my family and circle of friends, Covid has been nothing more than a minor cold.  Even with that experience, I still take extra very careful measures around vulnerable people like my 92 year old mother, I always wear a mask when inside public spaces, and I am a handwashing expert now!.

Pre-covid it was obvious that people travelled when unwell.  Flu's, colds, noro etc were common place.  I think it is inevitable that people are going to cruise when they knowingly or unknowingly have covid.  I support the current pre cruise testing, even though it doesn't provide guarantees, because it hopefully means less covid is on board.  However we are really kidding ourselves if we think we can cruise (or go out to dinner in a busy restaurant, or go shopping in a crowded store etc etc etc) and not be exposed to covid these days.

Each of us needs to assess our own risks and decide the appropriate personal action in relation to covid.  I have 4 Seabourn cruises booked over the next 12 months.  I will take all the usual precautions that I do at home, and if I become unwell, I'll follow the requirements of the time.  For those who are much more risk adverse, then staying home is fine too.

• Like 2

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/news/press-release/2022-press-releases/seabourn-simplifies-covid-19-procedures.html

Some changes (for cruises < 15 days) w.e.f. September 6

Fully vaxxed no longer have to present a test.
Unvaxxed may sail, but must produce a test result.

All subject to local regulation, of course

Edited by visagrunt

33 minutes ago, visagrunt said:

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/news/press-release/2022-press-releases/seabourn-simplifies-covid-19-procedures.html

Some changes (for cruises < 15 days) w.e.f. September 6

Fully vaxxed no longer have to present a test.
Unvaxxed may sail, but must produce a test result.

All subject to local regulation, of course

Interesting.  I read the information in the link.  What about those taking Back to Back cruises where the total is more than 16 days?  And, I wonder why the unvaccinated can submit a self administered test while the vaccinated on a longer cruise have to have a medically supervised test?  I'm sure there is a rationale, I'm just not immediately recognizing it.  

Edited by SLSD

19 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Seabourn seem now to have dropped the 16-day thing which seemed illogical.  

Ok.  I thought it did not make sense--and what about the self administered tests and the medically supervised (for the vaccinated).  Perhaps that was dropped as well?  

I'm one of those who has not taken the post pandemic plunge yet in booking a cruise.  I've been reading and watching carefully.  We have young family friends who just returned from a more family friendly mass market cruise--all with Covid upon their return home.  They said the experience was stressful.  I'm not sure that dropping the vaccination requirement and doing away with the testing requirement for most gives me any added sense of safety.  I fully recognize that the virus is here to stay.  Just trying to figure out how to enjoy ourselves going foward.  I think we need to just plunge in.  

7 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

Where did you get that information from?

Seabourn website has the updated testing requirements - but I'm not sure what the "16 day thing" is. We're on a 17-day cruise and the testing still does apply.

Edited by twodjs

55 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

Where did you get that information from?

From the Seabourn website.  I was looking at European cruises which is what we are on next month.  I admit it's not written that clearly . . . 

• I just spoke to Seabourn to find out about testing requirements for the Sept. 17 cruise. Canada requires vaccination, so the option for unvaccinated travelers to take a test is not possible for cruises into Canada. However, for vaccinated travelers, there may still be a testing requirement since the cruise is in  “remote” location. The Seabourn rep told me to check back after September 1 to find out if the 17th is a testing-requires cruise.  So, it seems like this is still a work (or policy) in progress. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

From the Seabourn website.  I was looking at European cruises which is what we are on next month.  I admit it's not written that clearly . . . 

But what you said about the "16 day thing" being dropped is not true, and the Website clearly states any cruise 16 days and over requires testing! That is ANY cruise ANYWHERE .

6 hours ago, 2seabournsailors said:

But what you said about the "16 day thing" being dropped is not true, and the Website clearly states any cruise 16 days and over requires testing! That is ANY cruise ANYWHERE .

Looks like you're right and I was wrong.  I mis-read what they were saying. Still totally illogical unless someone can explain to me the rationale.  

49 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Looks like you're right and I was wrong.  I mis-read what they were saying. Still totally illogical unless someone can explain to me the rationale.  

I agree with that comment! I was so excited to see the tests being removed, but then was stunned to see it wouldn't apply to me! I cant see why a longer cruise makes any difference.....after 16 days, if we test positive, its quite possibly that we have picked it up from someone who wasn't tested, because they only boarded for 7 days......doesn't seem fair....hope it changes.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on a back to back in September, 10 days + 7 in the Med.  If we were only boarding for 10 we wouldn't have to test but apparently we are considered as 17 day cruisers. I don't have an issue doing it but do question the logic. 

Edited by Dusko
spelling

59 minutes ago, Dusko said:

We are on a back to back in September, 10 days + 7 in the Med.  If we were only boarding for 10 we wouldn't have to test but apparently we are considered as 17 day cruisers. I don't have an issue doing it but do question the logic. 

Looks like I missed the latest update on the website of August 25. https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/health-safety/europe-travel-requirements.html#testing-requirements. 

From this I deduce that not testing is required for voyages in Europe departing after September 6. There are some restrictions and exceptions (Greece) to it's good to read it carefully. If I have misunderstood I apologise.

22 hours ago, Dusko said:

Looks like I missed the latest update on the website of August 25. https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/health-safety/europe-travel-requirements.html#testing-requirements. 

From this I deduce that not testing is required for voyages in Europe departing after September 6. There are some restrictions and exceptions (Greece) to it's good to read it carefully. If I have misunderstood I apologise.

There is nothing mentioned about under/Over 16 days not requiring/not requiring!