Will Pre-board testing be scrapped?

adoctor

56 minutes ago, BuckGood said:

There is nothing mentioned about under/Over 16 days not requiring/not requiring!

Hi Buck.

My understanding came from this:

Quote:

Am I still required to have a pre-travel, COVID-19 test before boarding the ship?
For cruises departing on or before September 5, 2022, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of cruise embarkation for all European cruises except for embarkations in Greece which requires a two day medically observed antigen test or a 3-day PCR COVID-19 test.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption, including children ages 5-11, will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to a negative pre-cruise PCR test result taken within three days before embarkation. Charges may apply. 

For cruises departing on or after September 6, 2022, vaccinated guests will no longer have to test before boarding, but we strongly recommend that all guests get tested 3 days before embarkation. Guests aged 5 years and older that are not vaccinated, will be required to show evidence of a negative COVID-19 result within 3 days of boarding the ship from a healthcare provider, or alternatively a photo of a home Antigen self-test result. Guests that choose to do a self-test should take a photo of their test result with their mobile device. Their full names, date and time of test should be written on, or next to the test device result.

Guests embarking in Greece are required to obtain either a COVID-19 PCR test within 3 days, or a COVID-19 Antigen 2 days before embarkation. Written evidence of test results is required. Self-administered tests are not accepted.

Certain enhanced itineraries such as ocean-crossings and voyages that include exotic or remote ports that have specific protocols. Children under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated or tested.

Unquote

The addition of the underline is mine. Am I misinterpreting? It wouldn't be the first time.

What is the point of a photo of a home test?? There's no way to authenticate that it was a test on the passenger(s), nor when it was done. I've generally objected to those who have called testing or masking "theater", as I feel they serve a purpose — but this? I can't see how it achieves a goal. For passengers who have chosen not to get vaccinated after all this time, why would anyone think they will now be rigorous in swabbing properly and documenting each individual's test results? This is where online monitored exams have been helpful. But unmonitored test results seem worthless to me in trying to maximize safety for the passengers and crew. 

• Like 2

It is extremely confusing at the moment.  At the top of the main page of the Seabourn website there is a link to a change in the protocols dated 15 August.  This states quite clearly that people on cruises of 16 days and over must take a pre-cruise test.  But in the link recently provided by @Dusko , dated 25 August and rather buried in the Seabourn website, it states quite clearly that passengers for all cruises do not need to take a pre-cruise test, apart from a few specific ports/countries.

Seabourn, if you are paying attention, sort this mess out now!

Edited by Fletcher

On 8/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, worcestergal said:

• I just spoke to Seabourn to find out about testing requirements for the Sept. 17 cruise. Canada requires vaccination, so the option for unvaccinated travelers to take a test is not possible for cruises into Canada. However, for vaccinated travelers, there may still be a testing requirement since the cruise is in  “remote” location. The Seabourn rep told me to check back after September 1 to find out if the 17th is a testing-requires cruise.  So, it seems like this is still a work (or policy) in progress. 

FYI for anyone else boarding at a Canadian port.  We're sailing out of Vancouver on Sept 6th (the first day of the change).  The way it was explained to us by a Seabourn rep is that even fully vaxxed, Canada requires a negative test within 3 days to board the ship. This a Canada requirement, not Seabourn.

We were told either a PCR or a proctored antigen test is acceptable.  We plan to do a proctored home test before we fly to Vancouver.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:32 PM, thebigcruiseguy said:

Is anyone aware of any Covid testing changes for Seabourn May 1st at embarkation?

We are scheduled to depart on Ovation in late May and somewhat concerned about same day testing given all the Covid cases emerging in europe and The US. Always a risk when the weeks leading up to departure day, and the air travel prior to getting on the ship. 

Assuming Seabourn does keep their same day rapid testing at the port- is it a self administered test? Anyone know how it works? Thanks. 

On 8/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, Dusko said:

Hi Buck.

My understanding came from this:

Quote:

Am I still required to have a pre-travel, COVID-19 test before boarding the ship?
For cruises departing on or before September 5, 2022, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of cruise embarkation for all European cruises except for embarkations in Greece which requires a two day medically observed antigen test or a 3-day PCR COVID-19 test.

Guests that have been approved for a vaccination exemption, including children ages 5-11, will need an embarkation day COVID-19 test performed at the terminal in addition to a negative pre-cruise PCR test result taken within three days before embarkation. Charges may apply. 

For cruises departing on or after September 6, 2022, vaccinated guests will no longer have to test before boarding, but we strongly recommend that all guests get tested 3 days before embarkation. Guests aged 5 years and older that are not vaccinated, will be required to show evidence of a negative COVID-19 result within 3 days of boarding the ship from a healthcare provider, or alternatively a photo of a home Antigen self-test result. Guests that choose to do a self-test should take a photo of their test result with their mobile device. Their full names, date and time of test should be written on, or next to the test device result.

Guests embarking in Greece are required to obtain either a COVID-19 PCR test within 3 days, or a COVID-19 Antigen 2 days before embarkation. Written evidence of test results is required. Self-administered tests are not accepted.

Certain enhanced itineraries such as ocean-crossings and voyages that include exotic or remote ports that have specific protocols. Children under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated or tested.

Unquote

The addition of the underline is mine. Am I misinterpreting? It wouldn't be the first time.

Sailing on October 30th on transatlantic cruise.  Was told a negative test was needed for that sailing.  Not sure what difference it makes.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:23 AM, jeffbrig said:

FYI for anyone else boarding at a Canadian port.  We're sailing out of Vancouver on Sept 6th (the first day of the change).  The way it was explained to us by a Seabourn rep is that even fully vaxxed, Canada requires a negative test within 3 days to board the ship. This a Canada requirement, not Seabourn.

We were told either a PCR or a proctored antigen test is acceptable.  We plan to do a proctored home test before we fly to Vancouver.

According to this site https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada Pre-entry testing is not required

"Pre-entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated children under the age of 12 are not required to provide a valid pre-entry test result, if they are accompanying a fully vaccinated adult.

Children who are less than 5 years old are not required to test, regardless of their vaccination status."

22 minutes ago, Laylam said:

It's not for entry into Canada.  It's a requirement to board a passenger cruise ship at a Canada port.  While rules/restrictions are generally thawing out, it seems this one has yet to be lifted.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Edited by jeffbrig
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 10:43 PM, jeffbrig said:

It's not for entry into Canada.  It's a requirement to board a passenger cruise ship at a Canada port.  While rules/restrictions are generally thawing out, it seems this one has yet to be lifted.

This is correct. Just experienced as we boarded Quest in Montreal on Monday. 

On 8/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, jeffbrig said:

I have just completed our second ArriveCAN, prior to embarkation September 6, and during this process was informed that as verified fully vaccinated travellers we don't require pre=board testing.  However, I am unable to find an update on the above link so ?????????   I will report back after boarding.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laylam said:

I have just completed our second ArriveCAN, prior to embarkation September 6, and during this process was informed that as verified fully vaccinated travellers we don't require pre=board testing.  However, I am unable to find an update on the above link so ?????????   I will report back after boarding.

The ArriveCAN application 'told' you that a pre-embarkation covid test is not required?

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

The ArriveCAN application 'told' you that a pre-embarkation covid test is not required?

Yes, it did.  As we are staying very near the Cruise Terminal  I today checked with the people manning the Covid testing station, to be certain.  Their advice was to check with our cruise ship.  So it seems it is no longer a Canadian requirement.  All will be revealed after Tuesday!!

28 minutes ago, Laylam said:

Yes, it did.  As we are staying very near the Cruise Terminal  I today checked with the people manning the Covid testing station, to be certain.  Their advice was to check with our cruise ship.  So it seems it is no longer a Canadian requirement.  All will be revealed after Tuesday!!

Yes, I guess it will.

1 hour ago, Laylam said:

That conflicts with the official Canadian documents listed above updated August 16th. Clearly, no test to enter Canada if fully vaxed, but the test IS required prior to getting on the ship. I wouldn't wait until you're in line to board before finding out! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are probably no right answers to this debate, but here is what I observed on our recent Seabourn Venture Aug 21-Sept 4 Iceland/Greenland expedition voyage.

We were all required to show proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test either 3 days in advance or taken at the pier prior to embarkation. We heard of one woman testing positive who wasn't allowed to board. Within a week we began to notice the absence of people who we had encountered regularly (with 250 on board, you begin to see the same folks getting coffee) and hear talk of folks being quarantined. Then we noticed the suites with a table in front of the door where room service trays were left and sometimes red marked bags marked medical waste. The venture has 132 suites, one day I counted 10 blocked with the "Covid tables of doom". The cruise director announced every day that yes there was Covid on board and guests were being well cared for and please report any symptoms to the medical team. But honestly, I think most people just kept going unless they felt really bad, and judging by the coughing, the true number of cases was probably higher. 

And this is in August when we all started the cruise vaccinated and covid free. What will the winter look like as those standards are relaxed? Maybe we are getting to the point where we treat it like the flu and if you get it oh well. But it is not going away....

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 11:59 AM, Laylam said:

I think we are on the Odyssey with you tomorrow. 

31 minutes ago, jeffbrig said:

I think we are on the Odyssey with you tomorrow. 

YES, looking forward to it. We might be the ones you see being scolded for not having had a pre-boarding covid test!!  I am interested to know if you were also told you didn't need one, during your pre-boarding ArriveCAN application?

27 minutes ago, Laylam said:

YES, looking forward to it. We might be the ones you see being scolded for not having had a pre-boarding covid test!!  I am interested to know if you were also told you didn't need one, during your pre-boarding ArriveCAN application?

So I put all our information into veriFLY, including vaccine and covid test results. My wife did ArriveCAN on her phone, and it reused stored info from our flight entry, which did not ask for test results. We'll see what happens tomorrow... 

9 minutes ago, jeffbrig said:

So I put all our information into veriFLY, including vaccine and covid test results. My wife did ArriveCAN on her phone, and it reused stored info from our flight entry, which did not ask for test results. We'll see what happens tomorrow... 

Thank you jeffbrig, our second application also reused stored info and then stated we didn't require a pre-boarding test.  I got my husband to read it as well, in case I was misreading.  I have since asked, at a testing site near the port, if it was still a requirement and they said to check with the ship.  As Seabourn doesn't require a test (as from today), we haven't had one  Hopefully we will see you onboard, otherwise we will be waving from the pier!!

13 hours ago, Dusko said:

We had a similar experience on our May Alaska cruise. One day the Asst Cruise Director was there, next day not. Same with some passengers. Do they give you any credit for the days you're in quarantine?

I heard that they do. Can't verify though people reappearing from quarantine seemed to be content with how they were treated.

Yes, if you are quarantined or isolated onboard, you will receive FCC worth 100% of the per-day cruise fare and will receive a refund for the refundable portion of taxes, fees and port expenses as well as for pre-paid excursions etc. 

You can read the details on Seabourn.com or on the Seabourn Source app under "Worry Free Promise." 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, CalmSea said:

Please keep us informed whether SS let you board without a test. We are scheduled to board the Quest in Montreal on September 22.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have had trouble with the internet.

YES, YES, YES, YOU DO NEED TO HAVE A COVID TEST!! 

As we turned up without one we were sent upstairs to a testing site.   Within 15 minutes we had our negative results.  We were lucky, Seabourn Odyssey was the only ship in port (and it is only half full) so the testing site wasn't busy.

• Thanks 2