Free Gratuities vs Free Upgrade

tdbates

Hello! I'm brand new to cruising, and I will be booking a Carnival Sunshine cruise soon. Currently I have the option to book with either a free 2-category room upgrade or free gratuities, both at the same rate. This will be a cruise for three people (1 adult plus two kids) in an interior room for a short 4-night cruise out of Charleston. I understand the gratuities rate is $14 per person per day. Trying to decide if it's a better deal to go with the free gratuities or the free cabin ungrade. Thoughts?

Cabin upgrade won't necessarily be to a different category type (from oceanview to balcony, for example).  The upgrade is only going to be LOCATION.  

If you've selected a location that is quiet and conventient after looking at the deck plans i would not risk a move to a "better" (potentially worse)spot.  

Take the grats.  That's real money from your pocket.  Almost $50 a day for 3. 

• Like 10

Free gratuities by a mile. I used to think 2 category upgrade and how I would move to a whole new type of cabin, inside to ov, ov to balcony. ..then I found out what they think is a free upgrade. ..not worth but maybe $50 at most .. if it's to a cabin you wanted. Mostly not a help. 

• Like 7

Free gratuities is probably the best option $ wise.

Do a mock booking and see what the price difference is for the "free" 2 category upgrade and that should help you determine.  If the upgrade is really worth less than the gratuities (which will probably be the case), then there is your answer.

If it works out the other way around and the upgrade is worth more $ than what the gratuities will work out to, then you have to ask yourself is the room really better for you and worth the $, or just stay where you are an save the $ on gratuities.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! Free gratuities it is! I do see where the "free upgrades" are from like 4A to 4C so I know it's just another interior room. To be honest I don't mind being on the bottom floors. I like my room dark and quiet (hopefully!) when I sleep so I actually like the room selection better without the upgrade. We are excited! It's just a short getaway, since my husband has to work, for my twins' upcoming 13th birthday. They are super excited!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tdbates said:

Thanks everyone! Free gratuities it is! I do see where the "free upgrades" are from like 4A to 4C so I know it's just another interior room. To be honest I don't mind being on the bottom floors. I like my room dark and quiet (hopefully!) when I sleep so I actually like the room selection better without the upgrade. We are excited! It's just a short getaway, since my husband has to work, for my twins' upcoming 13th birthday. They are super excited!

Go on YouTube and do a search for the Sunshine and get yourself educated about it.  Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdbates said:

Have fun.  Now that you have joined the board, there is lots of info to be had here that may help you.  Just pick some topics and read away...

• Like 2