Gala evening dress

escrick

I have read many posts about dressing up for dinners and galas.  I am now not sure that we want to take our first Cunard cruise next year.  I am happy for those of you who love the elegance and formality of Cunard: however both of our careers required smart dressing and black tie dinners.  In retirement, we are beginning to think that we need a different environment.  Thankfully, there are other lines from which to choose.  We have a deposit on a Queen’s Grill suite, but I think we will stick out like sore thumbs—dark suit for hubby and no ball gown for me.  Maybe, we are lazy.   We have time to think through our decision, but I have my doubts.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, escrick said:

I have read many posts about dressing up for dinners and galas.  I am now not sure that we want to take our first Cunard cruise next year.  I am happy for those of you who love the elegance and formality of Cunard: however both of our careers required smart dressing and black tie dinners.  In retirement, we are beginning to think that we need a different environment.  Thankfully, there are other lines from which to choose.  We have a deposit on a Queen’s Grill suite, but I think we will stick out like sore thumbs—dark suit for hubby and no ball gown for me.  Maybe, we are lazy.   We have time to think through our decision, but I have my doubts.  

Why would you stick out like sore thumbs? (I always wonder why they stick out more than healthy thumbs, but never mind.) A dark suit is fine, and I assume you won't be entirely naked but in something smart. You won't look unusual. You'll be fine, and Cunard is a lovely serene experience.

• Like 3

Just now, exlondoner said:

Why would you stick out like sore thumbs? (I always wonder why they stick out more than healthy thumbs, but never mind.) A dark suit is fine, and I assume you won't be entirely naked but in something smart. You won't look unusual. You'll be fine, and Cunard is a lovely serene experience.

Thanks for the kind reply.  I certainly like anything that is classy.🙂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, escrick said:

The word 'gown' is often mentioned in relation to Gala attire but the days of ball gowns have gone for 99% of ladies [and gents too, let's not be discriminatory!]. I have only ever owned two 'proper' ball gowns and they haven't seen the light of day on Cunard for years.

I prefer to use the word 'dress'. It's definitely more descriptive of what  I see on board and that's only if you wear a dress. Mine are long and are more dressy than a maxi dress if that's of any help.

For Gala evenings,  I often wear evening trousers and beautiful jackets or tops and I certainly don't feel in the slightest bit  underdressed. In fact, I feel better dressed than many.

Dark suit as opposed to a tux? No problem whatsoever and don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

The fact you're 'worried' means you care but no need to worry. You'll have a wonderful time. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
added for Gala evenings
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, escrick said:

I don't much like dressing up either, though I always dress appropriately for formal nights. I do think, though, there is often an extra gaiety about the ship on these nights, and it is fun to watch those who do enjoy dressing up coming into the restaurant looking elegant and glamorous.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, escrick said:

May I be honest?

You will be "fine". IMHO a dark suit is certainly fine for those who eg. never owned a tuxedo but dream of cruising with Cunard at least once. Anyway, everybody will welcome you.

Yet, if it is really just about your stated laziness, I feel it is a bit unfair to those who cruise Cunard for its formality. It is probably the last cruiseline were you can move around in a black tie environment. This special atmosphere is easily destroyed. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, carlmm said:

May I be honest?

You will be "fine". IMHO a dark suit is certainly fine for those who eg. never owned a tuxedo but dream of cruising with Cunard at least once. Anyway, everybody will welcome you.

Yet, if it is really just about your stated laziness, I feel it is a bit unfair to those who cruise Cunard for its formality. It is probably the last cruiseline were you can move around in a black tie environment. This special atmosphere is easily destroyed. 

Dream of cruising with Cunard?

I love Cunard and will defend it to the hilt, but it's a cruise line. A 'nice' cruise line but just a cruise line. Dark suit is absolutely 'fine'!

• Like 4

Whatever the comments are that we see in this forum, at the end of the day the majority of people on Gala evenings dress so that they look and feel nice in an atmosphere where they are part of something special a couple of times in a week for the evening. Yes, you will see dinner suits, and yes you will see bow-ties, some black and some white, and some other colours. You will see plenty of ladies looking proud that they are wearing their nice evening dresses, or gowns, and some in smart and elegant separates. A lot of ladies will wear earrings and necklaces, and bracelets, and wear make up. They will have their hair done specially for the occasion.  Yes you will also see some people walking through the Britannia dining room half an hour after dinner starts, in casual clothes, but they are the minority. Whatever the 'rules' there are enough people among the passengers on every Cunard cruise I have been on who wish to continue dressing up on Gala evenings, to make it special, and to be part of a community of like-minded people who also enjoy making an elegant and special occasion a number of times in the voyage. That is what makes Cunard voyages different to many of the other lines (though not all and some other lines also have formal evenings where people similarly enjoy dressing up), but it is only on Cunard cruises that a Gala Evening is also an evening where it is not just an elegant dinner with extra special dishes on the menu compared to other nights, but is also an evening where people can go into the Queen's Room and find that many others are making the ballroom dancing special for that night by being part of a classic event, whether as a ballroom dancer on the dance floor, or being a spectator to watch the ballroom dancing as one of the magical evenings of entertainment whilst chatting and enjoying a drink at the same time in beautiful surroundings.  I do hope that this continues for a long time yet, as it is the reason we choose to go on Cunard cruises rather than on other lines.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, escrick said:

One’s career also had invitations to Black Tie and White Tie dining, and one retains the wish to uphold a Tux tradition.  Currently on Cunard the invitations do deem a dark suit as being acceptable.  However, if a current Tux, or Ball Gown, would enjoy an evening out, then go for it.

Of course we want to enjoy a Gala evening  but some give the impression elegance is only achievable if wearing 'gowns' and black tie. 

That is patently not true.

Sure, wear a ball gown [not me, one of mine would take up half a suitcase on its own]  if it survives the packing but this isn't an Imperial Gala Ball.  This is hopefully an elegant evening on a cruise line which is noted for its more formal approach to some evenings. Lovely long dresses, cocktail wear and elegant separates are worn with panache and look lovely.  Dinner suits or dark suits will also look great.

We want those new to Cunard and those thinking about it to book, not tremble in their boots at the thought of 'not fitting in' and so choose another line.

Cunard will die a slow death if that happens as 'natural wastage' occurs. 

I hope escrick gets the memo  Enjoy. You'll have 'a ball'!  😁

• Like 2

I definitely support what  @Victoria2 has said.

I have never worn anything approaching a ball gown on Cunard.  Ever since I was a little girl and old enough to have a view, I have hated skirts and dresses and anything I would call “fussy”. That is not to say that I haven’t enjoyed Cunard’s gala nights, or formal nights as they used to call them, and have always worn what I hope are elegant tops or jackets with trousers and some nice jewellery, suitable to the occasion. For a while, I did have a lovely ladies’ evening trouser suit I was very fond of.  My other half always wears either a dark suit, a black velvet jacket or his tartan trews, all with a long rather than a bow tie and I have always thought he looked very handsome. He has received many compliments on the tartan too. 

Neither of us has felt under-dressed and our approach reflects the diversity you will see among fellow guests who enjoy dressing for these evenings.  It would be quite boring if we all looked the same! 

@escrick - you won’t stick out at all so I hope you go ahead and enjoy your cruise when the time comes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, escrick said:

None of my long evening dresses are what I'd class as ball gowns (to me these are what the ladies in the Andre Rieu orchestra usually wear) but I do feel well dressed wearing them.

My husband and I will be boarding the QM2 in just under 2 weeks for a Transatlantic round trip and I plan to take 2 long dresses (sequinned/diamante) and 2 sequinned cocktail dresses for the 4 gala nights plus 6 other knee length dresses (smart wedding guest attire) for the other evenings. My DH will take a tux, dark grey suit, a black jacket and several pairs of smart trousers. It would be a shame to miss out on the experience for fear of being 'inappropriately' dressed. I'm sure the majority of guests won't bat an eyelid at a dark suit and a cocktail dress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think for the ladies anything that is elegant, classy and not casual works for Gala nights.  I guess that what a lot of ladies wear is what used to be called an evening dress, as opposed to the kind of casual clothes people would wear in the daytime. It is a night out so dress for the occasion.  Of course if you are a ballroom dancer then some nice looking evening dresses would not allow the lady to move her legs enough when dancing, and would also restrict the man's leg movements - which is why there are ballroom gowns, which often have godets that allow the dress or skirt to hang with a pretty curve but also allow it to flair out during dancing, but also allow correct leg movement when dancing ballroom. Latin dances do not need that extra room in general and Latin lady dancers more often wear shorter and tighter skirts or dresses. However if you are not a ballroom/Latin dancer then standard evening dresses, or elegant separates are what a lot of people wear, and do look elegant - and it is the combination of well chosen dresses or separates along with nice shoes that make for the kind of appearance that many people enjoy and like to wear on Gala nights. So it is not hard and fast rules, and there is a large variation in the style of clothes that people wear, but what does not work is daytime clothes on a Gala evening. For men too, it does not have to be a bow-tie, and indeed many men wear a lovely dark, or indeed white, suit, with a normal tie. I have also seen a very smart evening suit with a cravat looking very smart. So it is not a fixed rule except that casual doesn't work on Gala evenings, and most people just seem to know that instinctively.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think there's also a difference in terminology again, a gown in the UK suggests something much grander than an evening dress, in American English they seem to be the same thing.

True - and what English people would call an evening dress generally works well - and not too many wear the extra elaborate evening gown as we would call it, but some do! Also a ball gown is generally a more formal elaborate form of evening dress but usually is not related being able to dance, whereas a ballroom gown, or ballroom dress, is usually completely different and designed specifically to make it optimal for ballroom dancing.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
Added sentence
  • Like 1

Thank you Kynance for your excellent reply.  We have our first Cunard cruise in a few weeks and the question of Gala nights dress has been occupying my thoughts more and more.  I have several dressy tops which can be paired with black trousers. You have set my mind at rest that these will be acceptable on Gala evenings and I can now concentrate on the rest of the packing!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Emmandjay said:

Thank you Kynance for your excellent reply.  We have our first Cunard cruise in a few weeks and the question of Gala nights dress has been occupying my thoughts more and more.  I have several dressy tops which can be paired with black trousers. You have set my mind at rest that these will be acceptable on Gala evenings and I can now concentrate on the rest of the packing!

We will be sailing on QE from Barcelona to Sydney in October.  Your choice of attire for gala evenings, Emmandjay, is precisely what I'll be wearing.  Enjoy your cruise.

12 hours ago, escrick said:

You might be happier on another cruise line.  You might want an upscale cruise line like Viking or similar.  Maybe Oceania which says attire should be country club casual.

With Cunard it sounds like you may be trying to be a square peg in a round hole.

BTW, I would not call it lazy.  You just value something different in a cruise.

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

You might be happier on another cruise line.  You might want an upscale cruise line like Viking or similar.  Maybe Oceania which says attire should be country club casual.

With Cunard it sounds like you may be trying to be a square peg in a round hole.

BTW, I would not call it lazy.  You just value something different in a cruise.

Reading through the answers escrick has received, it would seem to me they will fit into a Cunard slot/hole very nicely, along with the rest of us. 🙂

• Like 7

21 hours ago, escrick said:

A Wise choice to move on to a pricey Armani casual line. Those tuxedos and dark suits can be so outré.

It is a bit like going to a busy rodeo dressed in a tux and bow-tie, instead of a Stetson, jeans, chequered shirt and spurs - and even without a horse, goodness me! But if you want to go to a rodeo in a tux I am sure you would fit in perfectly! 

Oh dear, maybe I have it the wrong way round?

I do hope escrick and all those who have trembly knees at the thought of offending the miniscule minority who would like a Cunard Gala evening to be a watered down version of a Viennese  Imperial Ball, realise there is the aspirational espoused by a few and then there's the reality.

The trick is discerning  who is the realist!

Gala Evenings are lovely and I do like to see chaps dressed in Black Tie but the reality is a dark suit is just is acceptable. There are also those who find a Gala occasion brings out the peacock in them. All hues of the rainbow can be the new black!😄

Ladies, Ball gowns, as opposed to Ballroom [every day a new thing to learn] 'gowns' are rare. Long dresses, both elegant and not so, are worn and short cocktail dresses too with elegant separates closing the circle.

Tremble not newbies. You'll fit in and NO ONE will be giving marks out of ten! 😀

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I do hope escrick and all those who have trembly knees at the thought of offending the miniscule minority who would like a Cunard Gala evening to be a watered down version of a Viennese  Imperial Ball, realise there is the aspirational espoused by a few and then there's the reality.

The trick is discerning  who is the realist!

Gala Evenings are lovely and I do like to see chaps dressed in Black Tie but the reality is a dark suit is just is acceptable. There are also those who find a Gala occasion brings out the peacock in them. All hues of the rainbow can be the new black!😄

Ladies, Ball gowns, as opposed to Ballroom [every day a new thing to learn] 'gowns' are rare. Long dresses, both elegant and not so, are worn and short cocktail dresses too with elegant separates closing the circle.

Tremble not newbies. You'll fit in and NO ONE will be giving marks out of ten! 😀

And all the people you meet on board are invariably lovely, despite what you might think from some of the stuff you read here.

• Like 5