Mardi Gras Restaurant Questions

alyssamma

Apologies if some of these have already been answered...

1) Is Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ open every day for lunch or just sea days?

2) Does each restaurant in street eats only service one specific item each day? If so, is this a standard rotation (i.e., day 2 of every 7 day cruise is the same)? If so, does anyone have a menu?

3) When going to the "free" specialty restaurants, can you order whatever you want? Like if I wanted 2 entrees is that possible, or is it one entrée? 

4) How hard was it to make reservations for the specialty restaurants? I know this is highly dependent on sailing date...I'll be going 9/3 if that helps.

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Apologies if some of these have already been answered...

1) Is Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ open every day for lunch or just sea days?

2) Does each restaurant in street eats only service one specific item each day? If so, is this a standard rotation (i.e., day 2 of every 7 day cruise is the same)? If so, does anyone have a menu?

3) When going to the "free" specialty restaurants, can you order whatever you want? Like if I wanted 2 entrees is that possible, or is it one entrée? 

4) How hard was it to make reservations for the specialty restaurants? I know this is highly dependent on sailing date...I'll be going 9/3 if that helps.

1) For lunch, Pig & Anchor is open on sea days and embarkation day.  I personally never went there for lunch on our B2B on the MG back in February and don't plan to do it over Labor Day either.  We will be on the week prior to you as well as the week you're on.

2) Yes, the 3 street eats venues only serve a single item each day.  Don't have a menu.

3) You can order whatever you want at the included free specialties.  I would recommend going to Pig & Anchor for dinner on night one since the special that night is a filet.  The special on night two is a 10 oz. strip steak.  Had the filet special as well as the brisket on night one back in February and it was good.

4) The included specialty venues of Cucina del Capitano and Chibang can be had on a daily basis as soon as they open at 530 pm on the app, assuming you have anytime dining.  If you have set early dining, then you're relegated to after 745 pm at those two venues.  The steakhouse, teppanyaki and Rudi's Seagrill should be reserved ahead of time, especially teppanyaki which could be already sold out for your sailing.

Finally, I would highly recommend going to Chibang or Cucina for lunch on sea days when they are open from 12-230.  The noddle soup broth at Chibang is great.  They are not open on embarkation day, unlike other ships in the fleet.  Big Chicken is as great as has been reported.

A great place for a quick grab n go breakfast is at the JavaBlue Cafe, available I believe till 900 on port days and 1100 on sea days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 3:25 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

2) Yes, the 3 street eats venues only serve a single item each day.  Don't have a menu.

Also, make sure you pay attention to when they are open.  We always missed getting food there because we were too early or too late.  It's supposed to be "Street Eats", which is wander by when you want, always open, in my mind, like street vendors in any big city.  But no...you must attend promptly between the hours of 1:45pm and 3:10pm on Tuesdays, 2:10pm and 3:35pm on Wednesdays, and other days we pick random times, or some such silliness.  (I'm kidding, but you get the point.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Also, make sure you pay attention to when they are open.  We always missed getting food there because we were too early or too late.  It's supposed to be "Street Eats", which is wander by when you want, always open, in my mind, like street vendors in any big city.  But no...you must attend promptly between the hours of 1:45pm and 3:10pm on Tuesdays, 2:10pm and 3:35pm on Wednesdays, and other days we pick random times, or some such silliness.  (I'm kidding, but you get the point.)

I think the hours varied depending upon whether it was a sea or a port day, with the port days skewing a bit later.

It seems that @CruizinSusan70 laid out some good answers to your questions, so let me just chime into say:

Rudi's is amazing and book EARLY. Do not sleep on Emeril's. It was delicious and we ate there multiple times. The teppanyaki is very good, and you will be miserably full, speaking from the dinner experience...not sure if the lunch experience is exactly the same or not.

Edited by bassmk
  • Like 2

The only one we had any extended wait before seating was Cuccina.  If you check in by about 6pm or so the wait was typically under 10 minutes.  The 1st time we did Cuccina we wanted to eat around 6:30.  At 6 the wait was 10-20 minutes.  When we finally checked in at about 6:10 the wait had jumped to 20-30 minutes.

• Like 2

On our B2B on the Mardi Gras in February we had about 5000 cruisers.  On night two, the first "cruise elegant" night, dinner service started at 500 instead of 530, in anticipation of the multitude of people wanting to eat in the MDR to get their fill of lobster 🦞.  The lobster tails were also available at both Chibang as well as Cucina del Capitano.  

I would advise to check the wait time and possibly check in before showering and getting ready if you like to eat closer to 700 since the wait time could be over an hour. Night two was the craziest night of the week.

• Like 2