EZ Air questions for 2023

Clampram

We have never used EZ air before but I am looking at it now to see if it will benefit us for a cruise next year. Here's my questions:

• With EZ air, can we select our own seats at the time of the booking
  • I think I understand that I don't pay for the air until my final payment for the cruise is due...not sure
  • What happens if Princess cancels the cruise (or if I cancel the cruise).....are you reimbursed by the airline or do you just get a "credit" for what you have paid
  • Can I choose the routing and the carrier for EZ air flights?
  • Thanks for you help!!!
Edited by Clampram

Seat selection at time of booking will depend on the airline you have chosen.  Some airlines will not allow it before the booking is paid for by Princess.  Air Canada is an example.  You pay for your flights at final payment of your cruise.  Be advised that Princess may not pay your airfare until 30 days prior.  If you want to choose your seat you can pay early.  Once your flighted is ticketed you can no longer make changes without cost.  If the price goes down, you cannot take advantage of that.

If your cruise is cancelled by Princess, or by you, prior to final payment, your flights will also be cancelled at no charge, unless you have paid for the flights early.  I’m hoping that someone else here can elaborate more on this.  I’ve never had to cancel a flight that has been fully paid.  Sorry.

You can choose whichever airline and routing that you need.  You will be given a number of options when you book your flights.  If you do not see the flights or airline you want, but they are available on the airline’s website,  call Princess and they can find the flights for you.

I know I’m probably missing something here, so please fellow members jump in and correct me.  Thank you!

Edited by Lady Arwen

45 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Some airlines will not allow it before the booking is paid for by Princess.  Air Canada is an example.

Surprisingly, this may not always be true.  Our friends have a regular economy booking with AC for international travel (overseas - don't include US in international).  She was about to request early ticketing in order to do seat selection earlier this week, but it was offering it on AC website already.  No way to know when that happened, but was not there back when booked. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

If your cruise is cancelled by Princess, or by you, prior to final payment, your flights will also be cancelled at no charge, unless you have paid for the flights early.  I’m hoping that someone else here can elaborate more on this.

If Princess cancels, you get money back, but it may be FCC.  If you cancel, you are subject to airline ticket rules if already ticketed.  So, then it depends if any different policy such as Cruise with Confidence provides relief or any insurance the guest has to cover cancellations.

I might add that it is unlikely airfares go down close to departure date.  Especially if you scored a good fare in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

We have never used EZ air before but I am looking at it now to see if it will benefit us for a cruise next year. Here's my questions:

• With EZ air, can we select our own seats at the time of the booking
  • I think I understand that I don't pay for the air until my final payment for the cruise is due...not sure
  • What happens if Princess cancels the cruise (or if I cancel the cruise).....are you reimbursed by the airline or do you just get a "credit" for what you have paid
  • Can I choose the routing and the carrier for EZ air flights?
  • Thanks for you help!!!

You didn't mention where you are going.  Outside of the flexibility to watch for any lower fare and re-fare, don't expect to save a lot for domestic flights.  If flying overseas, EZ-Air is going to save you a bundle and keep watching for lower fares after you book.

• Like 1

The 30 day ticketing isn't consistent. Our flights from Tucson to Heathrow on Delta/Virgin Atlantic were just ticketed at 60 days out. I would expect though that the 45 day limit for no charge changes would still be valid.

Agree 100% that domestic savings are marginal and there are reports the airline websites can sometimes beat EZAir. However, you've got to purchase airline website purchased tickets right away and if Princess cancels the cruise, you'll have to deal with the airlines to get funds returned. If Princess cancels, they will offer you future cruise credit but you always have the option to get your money returned in cash.

Internationally we've found booking with EZAir as soon as flights become available (330 days before the date your cruise completes) usually gives you the best prices. Sometimes they'll fluctuate for a month or so, it pays to keep checking often for the first month or so and rebook if it makes sense. Back in the dark ages when I was still in school, a professor who specialized in auction theory pointed out that prices early on are the lowest when supply is high and as things (like seats on a flight) start selling, prices climb. This is true (in general) for cruise prices, airline tickets and hotel rooms among others. You still need to watch as shocks to the system can disrupt things.

If the airline cancels your itinerary (EZAir doesn't cancel itineraries, the airlines do), EZAir will protect your fare and get you rebooked. I suspect this is something in the contracts between EZAir and the airlines.

Also, if you have enough available holiday time before or after the cruise, check for a few days before or after the cruise to see if there are better airfare deals. Often there are and the savings can be more than the extra cost of a hotel stay. It's really nice to arrive a few days early, especially if you are crossing a lot of time zones. I'd rather get over jet lag in a hotel than on a cruise ship. Plus the well known fact that arriving early is good insurance against travel interruptions and not missing the ship's departure.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Surprisingly, this may not always be true.  Our friends have a regular economy booking with AC for international travel (overseas - don't include US in international).  She was about to request early ticketing in order to do seat selection earlier this week, but it was offering it on AC website already.  No way to know when that happened, but was not there back when booked. 

Thank you!  I was counting on you and others with more knowledge to help me out.  OP,  please listen to this guy!