How I became addicted to the Haven!

wolft927

I haven't noticed anyone being nasty on this thread.  Instead I see folks offering their experiences (both pro-Haven and negative-Haven).  Maybe I missed it where someone said it was "ridiculous to need a butler" or "wasting their money."  

If I say I won't waste my money on the Haven or I don't need a butler going forward doesn't mean that you spending what you think is fair is wrong. Anything but.   Use the butler to your heart's content.  . We all make decisions for ourselves.

But the whole theme of this thread, which is "once you've sailed in the Haven you will never sail any other way" is a ridiculous statement for many of us since we've done it.  Many times.

• Like 6

I have never been in the Haven. We have done the cabin crawl in pretty much every ship we have been on. Our first one was on the Gem, the 3 bedroom suite with a white piano in the living room. We thought everything looked great, comfortable, luxurious and fun, specially having all that space. We have put bids for the Haven, never getting it LOL, but if we ever did, we wouldn't have a problem going back to regular staterooms. We enjoy splurging in other ways, but for those who love the HAVEN all the time. I salute you. Very very nice.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I haven't noticed anyone being nasty on this thread.  Instead I see folks offering their experiences (both pro-Haven and negative-Haven).  Maybe I missed it where someone said it was "ridiculous to need a butler" or "wasting their money."  

If I say I won't waste my money on the Haven or I don't need a butler going forward doesn't mean that you spending what you think is fair is wrong. Anything but.   Use the butler to your heart's content.  . We all make decisions for ourselves.

But the whole theme of this thread, which is "once you've sailed in the Haven you will never sail any other way" is a ridiculous statement for many of us since we've done it.  Many times.

To ea their own. Don't let that statement bother you. I have sailed in insides since sailing in the Haven. It's all good. Live at let live.

Happy sailing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I have never been in the Haven. We have done the cabin crawl in pretty much every ship we have been on. Our first one was on the Gem, the 3 bedroom suite with a white piano in the living room. We thought everything looked great, comfortable, luxurious and fun, specially having all that space. We have put bids for the Haven, never getting it LOL, but if we ever did, we wouldn't have a problem going back to regular staterooms. We enjoy splurging in other ways, but for those who love the HAVEN all the time. I salute you. Very very nice.

Hope you win. Lots of ppl say that they win bids. Others like you say that they have never won. IDK the algorithm as I just book the Haven with whatever discounts that they have running at that time. I wish you the best of luck. 

Enjoy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Hope you win. Lots of ppl say that they win bids. Others like you say that they have never won. IDK the algorithm as I just book the Haven with whatever discounts that they have running at that time. I wish you the best of luck. 

Enjoy. 

Thank you Dr Sea. We are currently bidding for a Haven Spa suite on the Escape next November. Keeping our fingers crossed. 🙂

• Like 3

Just now, spanishguy1970 said:

Thank you Dr Sea. We are currently bidding for a Haven Spa suite on the Escape next November. Keeping our fingers crossed. 🙂

Let us know if you get it. With the sales going on and the economy going the way it is, I think you will have a good chance of actually getting it. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Glad you loved your Haven experience. Do you think you got different treatment being a former CD compared to the treatment that someone else might get? I've always wondered if returning crew, esp a CD, would get better treatment. I know it's hard to tell since there is only one point of reference. 

I have cruise many times. The second time in the haven nobody ever knew I was a former cruise director, service outside haven areas was fantastic , but service inside haven areas was beyond amazing!!!! We cruise about 3 times a year in or out of the haven , but I will say I would much rather be in the Haven 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I have cruise many times. The second time in the haven nobody ever knew I was a former cruise director, service outside haven areas was fantastic , but service inside haven areas was beyond amazing!!!! We cruise about 3 times a year in or out of the haven , but I will say I would much rather be in the Haven 

I am glad that they treat us common folk the same as those on the top of the food chain in the Haven. Thanks for letting me know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

And here we go. 😂

I'm in the Haven or nothing camp & love and use all the added amenities. That said, if someone is happy an inside cabin, a balcony, a stowaway closet, whatever -  that's great! I'm not going to tell them they're making the wrong choice or that there is anything wrong with them or their preferences.

So hopefully we can avoid the "people who prefer the Haven are snobs who think they are better than everyone, wasting their money, are ridiculous to need a butler, etc." debate round #1876533.

There are even people in this world who don't like cruising (gasp!)  Let's just let people live their lives however makes them happy.

I promise what they say is true, If you cruise in the stowaway closet, you will never want to cruise any other way on NCL!!!!!

(now then, doesn't that sound silly? - so does the OP to many of us, that's the point you seem to be missing)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetact said:

When I retire we probably wont travel that much more as we love our houses so any money saved now wont matter.

That's crazy talk.  I'm guessing that you're not retired and you don't really know any better. 🤣

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

And here we go. 😂

I'm in the Haven or nothing camp & love and use all the added amenities. That said, if someone is happy an inside cabin, a balcony, a stowaway closet, whatever -  that's great! I'm not going to tell them they're making the wrong choice or that there is anything wrong with them or their preferences.

So hopefully we can avoid the "people who prefer the Haven are snobs who think they are better than everyone, wasting their money, are ridiculous to need a butler, etc." debate round #1876533.

There are even people in this world who don't like cruising (gasp!)  Let's just let people live their lives however makes them happy.

Just to be absolutely clear.

I'm really pleased for the OP that they like the Haven. From their post it seems to work very well for them. The Haven is a great feature of NCL ships for those people who like to cruise that way. I won't say anything against the Haven, or the reasons that people may like it. Absolutely each to their own.

I do however very much disagree with the last paragraph of their post. That's all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I wasn't referring to this thread, so yes you missed it. (Consider yourself lucky.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Couldn't you sail two times in steerage and save the extra $$$ for future years when you can cruise as much as you would like?

The future is never guaranteed my friend.... you can't take it with you, so better put it to good use while you still can.

6 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I have noticed you seem to choose the threads that appeal to your keen ability To insult and condescend.  Seriously.   A cursory scan of your comment history will show that my theory checks out.   It must be a heavy burden. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Some folks need a better hobby than coming on these boards and snooping/spying/critiquing what other people do or say. If you're just going on cursory checks of one-off comments, I assure you... you are misinterpreting what is being said. @ChiefMateJRK has a bit of sass and sarcasm that is clearly lost when you take what is said out of context, like you've clearly done. 

16 minutes ago, rscales2 said:

I’ll like just to spend a couple of days in the Haven. My 3 straight cruises on the Prima cost less money than one cruise in the Haven.

If that's the case, you're doing something wrong. I'm not saying bargains on Haven are plentiful, but unless you're trying to compare an inside room to an owners suite, that's not a fair comparison that Haven category will ever win.

For anyone interested in giving Haven a try... Getaway out of NY next month has some unheard of deals to be found. For 2 passengers with the full free at sea promo, this is the current price for a 9 day cruise:

image.thumb.png.7bdf53d12d42466e140a6ae63e743d9f.png

That's $263/pp/day.... if I wasn't already sailing on the Joy a few days later I would snag this in a heartbeat.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

The future is never guaranteed my friend.... you can't take it with you, so better put it to good use while you still can.

Very true.  That said, if God takes me home sooner rather than later, whatever I leave behind will likely be put to better use than me spending it now on me, me, me.

42 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

@ChiefMateJRK has a bit of sass and sarcasm that is clearly lost when you take what is said out of context, like you've clearly done. 

Hey, I resemble that remark sister!! 🤣🐀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Very true.  That said, if God takes me home sooner rather than later, whatever I leave behind will likely be put to better use than me spending it now on me, me, me.

Hey, I resemble that remark sister!! 🤣🐀

Resemble, or resent? 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, Greenpea2 said:

I agree that once you have sailed in the Haven, it is tough (although certainly not impossible) to NOT sail the Haven! I am one of those that far prefers to cruise less often so that I can. I loved hearing about your experience, thank you for posting this. We all need something to perk us up a bit! 🙂 We sail the Haven on the Prima in February and I am so looking forward to it! Our last cruise was just as the pandemic was beginning, in the Haven on the Bliss. Absolutely gorgeous and my favorite Haven so far. I heartily suggest you try that one sometime. 

We sailed Haven on the Bliss in March and then coming up again in October.  It was wonderful -- beautiful ship (and all things Haven) and wonderful staff and food as the OP said.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

I have noticed you seem to choose the threads that appeal to your keen ability To insult and condescend.  Seriously.   A cursory scan of your comment history will show that my theory checks out.   It must be a heavy burden. 

Edited by Taishartrueblood

This will be our 5th TA coming up on the Prima Inaugural.  Took a long time to decide to do it, but it has been a great cruise experience every time!  Not being sure about whether we'd like it or not, we chose to book the Haven.  Once was all it took.  We've been twice on Epic, on Breakaway, Encore.  For normal cruises, usually a Spa cabin since we love going to the pools and heated beds each day!  But for the TAs, we loved every minute of being in the Haven, enjoying those many sea days.  So different than not being in a port every day.  So, our point on the Haven subject is we are retired, going to enjoy our longer cruises, the wonderful TAs, enjoying our accommodations, and all it has to offer. 

• Like 2

I have a Panama Canal cruise booked on the Bliss for Jan 2024.  I have an Aft facing balcony, but I am thinking of changing to Aft Facing Haven With large Balcony.  I just don't know if its worth the extra 10,000 for the ' Royal Treatment".  My reasons for maybe doing the switch:  This will be my fourth and probably final full transit of the Panama Canal.  I don't plan on getting off the ship in Mexico, so extra balcony space will be great.  I would love to host a Panama Canal transit party on the haven balcony ( I assume they allow Haven cabins to have visitors).

The reason I may not do the switch:  PRICE!!!!!  its so expensive ( its a downpayment on new car).  I can wait until i get an upgrade offer, but there is no guarantee that I will get one, or win the bid, or get the cabin I would prefer.  

I am platinum ( almost sapphire) level, so getting extra points when booking Haven will give me a pretty big boost.  So conflicted!!!!

14 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I have a Panama Canal cruise booked on the Bliss for Jan 2024.  I have an Aft facing balcony, but I am thinking of changing to Aft Facing Haven With large Balcony.  I just don't know if its worth the extra 10,000 for the ' Royal Treatment".  My reasons for maybe doing the switch:  This will be my fourth and probably final full transit of the Panama Canal.  I don't plan on getting off the ship in Mexico, so extra balcony space will be great.  I would love to host a Panama Canal transit party on the haven balcony ( I assume they allow Haven cabins to have visitors).

The reason I may not do the switch:  PRICE!!!!!  its so expensive ( its a downpayment on new car).  I can wait until i get an upgrade offer, but there is no guarantee that I will get one, or win the bid, or get the cabin I would prefer.  

I am platinum ( almost sapphire) level, so getting extra points when booking Haven will give me a pretty big boost.  So conflicted!!!!

My first thought was heck yeah - change!  But $10k more?  Oof.  I mean, if you've won the lottery or money is no option, heck yeah.  But dang, that's a lot.

We sailed in an aft facing Haven with large balcony in the spring and have one coming up in 62 days (but who's counting, right?)  and it - and the "royal treatment" were niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice (to us, I know some people don't care about that, and/or get the same service elsewhere, etc. etc., but we enjoyed it). 

We also enjoyed the extra balcony space to lounge and set up tables of food ... it was nice, for sure - and we spent a lot of time out there.

I would or could never spend that much to switch to the Haven.  A couple grand or a hot deal, yes - but not $10k.  But if you choose to, yay you! and if you don't, you'll have a glorious sailing anyway!