Westerdam Gala nights Pinnacle Grill and Sel de Mer Food reviews

TotallyCruzin

We'll be on the Westerdam in a couple of weeks and I'd like to make reservations at Pinnacle and Sel De Mer.  Would you know what nights the Gala nights are so I can arrange reservations around these nights.  Which is better in your opinion for steak and lobster Pinnacle or Sel De Mer.  Thank you all in advance.

15 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I can say this - Rudi's lobster is FAR superior to the Pinnacle with the $20 lobster add on Plus less expensive.

Absolutely.  Hopefully it would be the same at the pop up as the op is on the westerdam.  Information for the op,  I’m not sure you can get both steak and lobster at sel de mer.  The last time I had lobster at the pinnacle it wasn’t good.

1 hour ago, TotallyCruzin said:

We'll be on the Westerdam in a couple of weeks and I'd like to make reservations at Pinnacle and Sel De Mer.  Would you know what nights the Gala nights are so I can arrange reservations around these nights.  Which is better in your opinion for steak and lobster Pinnacle or Sel De Mer. 

Looking at the 7-day Alaskan Explorer, I would say the Gala nights will be Aug 29 (sea day) and Sept 2 (noon departure from Ketchikan). 

Have never eaten at Sel de Mer so I bow to those who have. At the Pinnacle Grill, from my experience (ribeye vs lamb) and viewing others' seafood meals, I would recommend the lamb and crab legs (not lobster). But food can change sailing to sailing much less over several years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Looking at the 7-day Alaskan Explorer, I would say the Gala nights will be Aug 29 (sea day) and Sept 2 (noon departure from Ketchikan). 

Have never eaten at Sel de Mer so I bow to those who have. At the Pinnacle Grill, from my experience (ribeye vs lamb) and viewing others' seafood meals, I would recommend the lamb and crab legs (not lobster). But food can change sailing to sailing much less over several years!

I should really go for lamb next time at the pinnacle if I dine there.  I really enjoy it but somehow I never think to order it.  Thanks for mentioning it. Agree with you that those should be the gala nights.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

16 minutes ago, Maite88 said:

We just booked our first cruise with HAL.  It is a 14 day Panama Canal.  How many gala nights are on a 14 day cruise, one per week?

I would say 3 or 4 (it was 2 just on the 7-day subject of this thread). When do you sail? Someone with recent experience or a better memory than mine will be along!

This was the “Tournedos Rossini” with added lobster on Nieuw Statendam last November.  It was magnificent.  I don’t believe that steak dish is offered on the pop up menu, but they definitely accommodated the addition of lobster.  It wasn’t as large as the main dish lobster, but was a perfect companion.

BAD820B9-9D4F-44F4-BE4D-D289DC51602E.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I would say 3 or 4 (it was 2 just on the 7-day subject of this thread). When do you sail? Someone with recent experience or a better memory than mine will be along!

Thank you crystalspin, Our cruise will be April 2023.  

7 minutes ago, Maite88 said:

Thank you crystalspin, Our cruise will be April 2023.  

Looking at Zaandam San Diego to FLL, I would guess:

Either Apr 5 or 6, Either Apr 11 or 12, and Either Apr 15 or 16 (but not 17 because that's the last night).

If they want to have 4 it would probably be Apr 8 (a sea day) but could be Apr 9 which is a 2pm departure from Huatulco.

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Looking at Zaandam San Diego to FLL, I would guess:

Either Apr 5 or 6, Either Apr 11 or 12, and Either Apr 15 or 16 (but not 17 because that's the last night).

If they want to have 4 it would probably be Apr 8 (a sea day) but could be Apr 9 which is a 2pm departure from Huatulco.

I’m pretty sure there will be 3.  That’s been my experience with cruises to the Panama Canal.  Several years ago there would be 4.

• Like 1