Honolulu transportation options

Packman1000

We are a party of 4 adults arriving at pier 10 in Honolulu on a Monday.   We need to get to Pearl Harbor in the morning, then we are going to Waikiki Beach, then back to pier 10 in the evening.   I'm looking for advice on which type of transportation would work best for us - taxi, Uber, or The Bus.  I estimated that a taxi on all three legs would be over $120 + tip, which isn't terrible but wanted to know about less expensive options.   Does The Bus have an express version, or is it normal city bus with many stops?  Is Uber readily available at each of our destinations (in the past we've found that getting an Uber shortly after the ship docks is difficult)?  We can also use different transportation options for each leg of our trip if that would work better.  Thanks for any advice. 

TheBus is a normal city bus. I suspect any express versions would either not be going in your direction in the morning (you are going away from town to get to PH), and not running mid day when you return to Waikiki.

You had the correct order in your post...Uber, taxi, TheBus. Having used all the things you mention, if time were no real issue, I would take TheBus first.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

Is Uber readily available at each of our destinations (in the past we've found that getting an Uber shortly after the ship docks is difficult)?

Uber and Lyft work very well in Honolulu and has become our go to when we are there for bouncing around. Cars are readily available and you can use the XL version to comfortably take 4 adults. 

I don't think you are going to see the compression in demand because of the cruise ship arrival that you think-- on a port stop a sizable portion will be piling onto busses for prearranged tours. If it were the end of the cruise you would most likely see more demand. 

Bonus is that we have found that a sizable amount of Uber/Lyft drivers are off duty service members or the spouses of service members stationed locally. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Uber and Lyft work very well in Honolulu and has become our go to when we are there for bouncing around. Cars are readily available and you can use the XL version to comfortably take 4 adults. 

I don't think you are going to see the compression in demand because of the cruise ship arrival that you think-- on a port stop a sizable portion will be piling onto busses for prearranged tours. If it were the end of the cruise you would most likely see more demand. 

Bonus is that we have found that a sizable amount of Uber/Lyft drivers are off duty service members or the spouses of service members stationed locally. 

Good points about Uber at this port, since it's not the end of the cruise.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DJHere said:

So to have a Uber when we depart the ship in Honolulu, We would need to pre-arrange on App?

We have used Uber in other ports and intend to use it in Honolulu in February.

Based on our Uber experience in other ports, they are readily available, within just a few minutes of requesting from the app. Some cities regulate where Ubers can pick up and it is often not where the Citi Taxis  are located but maybe just a short block away from the taxi stand. I suggest you ask where the Uber pick up area is at the pier and order the Uber from there.

2 hours ago, pmjnh said:

We have used Uber in other ports and intend to use it in Honolulu in February. Based on our Uber experience in other ports, they are readily available, within just a few minutes of requesting from the app.

I don't know if you are referring to the other ports on a Hawaii cruise or other ports other areas.

My experience in Hawaiian ports is that only Honolulu has Uber "readily available", it is a large modern city.

But Kauai, for example, the entire island only has 70 licensed Ubers currently and only a bit more than half are in Lihue. 37 Ubers isn't enough when a 3,000 passenger ship docks.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I don't know if you are referring to the other ports on a Hawaii cruise or other ports other areas.

My experience in Hawaiian ports is that only Honolulu has Uber "readily available", it is a large modern city.

But Kauai, for example, the entire island only has 70 licensed Ubers currently and only a bit more than half are in Lihue. 37 Ubers isn't enough when a 3,000 passenger ship docks.

Sorry, I was referring to Uber use in  other US and Canadian ports  in general, not specifically to Hawaian ports.

Good information, thanks for clarifying.

Edited by pmjnh

11 minutes ago, DJHere said:

Thank You For All The Great Uber Info, Very Helpful! We Need Uber In Honolulu To Go To Pearl Harbor Then To Luau 🌺

Uber is readily available in and around urban Honolulu. I would NOT bet on easily getting an Uber from a luau if the luau is anyplace but urban Honolulu, meaning not in Ko Olina/Kapolei or Waimea.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Getting a card in advance in not easy either, if by advance you mean "Before you get to Hawaii".

You will need a Holo Card.  It's the new bus pass that can be reloaded.  We had to get ours at a satellite city hall by appointment but you can now buy them at retail stores in Hawaii.  See this chart: Where to Buy a Card (holocard.net)

A day pass can only be purchased at ABC Stores (there are a lot of them) in Waikiki.  Cost is probably $7.50 which is the max charged per day of Bus riding with a Holo Card.  (Though they might charge you $2 or $3 for the card itself).  Once you own a Holo Card you can keep it and reload it online (or at some of the retail locations).  I reload mine online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Getting a card in advance in not easy either, if by advance you mean "Before you get to Hawaii".

You will need a Holo Card.  It's the new bus pass that can be reloaded.  We had to get ours at a satellite city hall by appointment but you can now buy them at retail stores in Hawaii.  See this chart: Where to Buy a Card (holocard.net)

A day pass can only be purchased at ABC Stores (there are a lot of them) in Waikiki.  Cost is probably $7.50 which is the max charged per day of Bus riding with a Holo Card.  (Though they might charge you $2 or $3 for the card itself).  Once you own a Holo Card you can keep it and reload it online (or at some of the retail locations).  I reload mine online.

Pretty sure ABC doesn't mark up the HOLO. They were cash only (strange) in December in Waikiki. They basically do it as a pass through. We only used ours one day, so didn't need to reload. ABC does NOT reload as I recall.

• Thanks 1