Greece exception to Protocols

Native Floridian 26

Celebrity's updated policy is very clear that anyone on a cruise VISITING Greece is required to have a supervised/monitored test prior to embarkation. (The timing of said test varies depending on whether one is vaccinated or not).

This, for example, is their guidance for cruises embarking in the Italian ports of Civitavecchia or Ravenna:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements/updated

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Celebrity's updated policy is very clear that anyone on a cruise VISITING Greece is required to have a supervised/monitored test prior to embarkation. (The timing of said test varies depending on whether one is vaccinated or not).

This, for example, is their guidance for cruises embarking in the Italian ports of Civitavecchia or Ravenna:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/italy-travel-requirements/updated

Great info. We'll see if the other lines post similar.  In summary, on any X cruise visiting Greece pax must provide supervised test taken within 2 days of embarkation.  Video proctoring IS allowed. Our plan will be to do the BinaxNow proctored testing in Rome before heading to Civitavecchia for embarkation.  Of course 2 months is a long way away.

Edited by jsglow

We are embarking at Piraeus on September 18 and were planning to use EMed video proctored tests (Binax Now) two days prior in Athens.  We have previously used the EMed product and it has been excellent in terms of ease of use  in a hotel room and prompt documentation provided.  My understanding is that this proctored product is not allowed in Piraeus even though video proctored.  We plan to find a test at a pharmacy in Athens which apparently is very easy to find.  

3 hours ago, Levanah said:

We are embarking at Piraeus on September 18 and were planning to use EMed video proctored tests (Binax Now) two days prior in Athens.  We have previously used the EMed product and it has been excellent in terms of ease of use  in a hotel room and prompt documentation provided.  My understanding is that this proctored product is not allowed in Piraeus even though video proctored.  We plan to find a test at a pharmacy in Athens which apparently is very easy to find.  

What cruise line?

• Like 1

@Levanah if it's the Jade, we're on this same cruise and coming in the day before (if flights are not delayed/cancelled).  I have heard two things, 1) that there are many pharmacies that can easily do a test for 10 euros or less (hotel can suggest one) and 2) NCL will test for free at the port if you sign up via Eurofins during your check in.  I'm leaning towards getting a test after we arrive.  I noticed you're from Asheville, we're practically neighbors (Bristol here).  🙂

Hi Thera,

Hey neighbor, yes we are  on the Jade.  We will be in Athens for 6 days prior to the cruise, so plenty of time to get tested.  Will probably get a test on Saturday since we are on a day trip to Delphi on Friday.  I’m not concerned about finding a test, but it’s a little anxiety producing for the flight and days before embarkation trying to avoid COVID.  We came back from Amsterdam in April  (disembarked from the Dawn)and I was positive when I got home but it was probably from two very crowded museums in Amsterdam.  Thankfully, it was fairly minor.

Can’t wait to board the Jade!

• Like 1

I am trying to decide between an NCL and an RCCL cruise in Oct.

Both originate in Italy, but have ports of call in Greece.

Why do RCCL require a test for un-vaxed pax to leave the ship at Greek ports, but NCL does not?

Seems like that would be a government protocol and not a cruise ship one.

Saying that- Greece has ZERO vax or testing requirements for tourists to enter regardless- so why is there an *Greece  in regards to the loosening of vax requirement?

18 minutes ago, chelleyLeighP said:

I am trying to decide between an NCL and an RCCL cruise in Oct.

Both originate in Italy, but have ports of call in Greece.

Why do RCCL require a test for un-vaxed pax to leave the ship at Greek ports, but NCL does not?

Seems like that would be a government protocol and not a cruise ship one.

Saying that- Greece has ZERO vax or testing requirements for tourists to enter regardless- so why is there an *Greece  in regards to the loosening of vax requirement?

I too am at a loss on the elusive Greece Port Authority's protocols for cruises.  NCL only requires a test for vaxed pax if they embark in Piraeus, Greece.  Other cruise lines are requiring tests for any passengers that stop in Greece as a port on an itinerary.  

• Thanks 1