No more free wine in the steakhouse

AtSeaWithChris

16 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

All the hate for the strip lion has now made it legendary lol. It's at the top of my list to try on the next cruise. I used to really like the flat iron, I had some really tasty ones on past cruises. It'll be interesting to compare and see if it's as bad as everyone says. 

Flat Irons are tricky. They're cut from under the shoulder and developed by an ag school in Nebraska. There is a broad vein of sinew that goes through that muscle. When carefully butchered the steak will be tender. If sinew is present it's tough and chewy but the part without sinew will still have good flavor and tenderness. So, to me the flat iron is far superior to the strip loin served now. 

https://thehustle.co/the-invention-of-the-flat-iron-steak-2/

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I actually think they use the same wine for the sangria and with the added additions it's not too bad. The sangria is perfectly serviceable and quite quaffable with a meal.  

Quaffable is my middle name

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

Flat Irons are tricky. They're cut from the shoulder and was developed by an ag school in Nebraska. There is a broad vein of sinew that goes through that muscle. When carefully butchered the steak will be tender. If sinew is present it's tough and chewy but the part without sinew will still have good flavor and tenderness. So, to me the flat iron is far superior to the strip loin served now. 

https://thehustle.co/the-invention-of-the-flat-iron-steak-2/

I used to get large trays of them for cheap before they went mainstream. They were my sleeper value cut and I used to get them for around $2 lb but now they are sometimes more than NY Strips, T-bones and rib eyes at the local store. It's nuts and doesn't make any sense. Same thing has happened with arrachera, tri-tip roasts, tri-tip steaks, chicken wings, boneless/skinless chicken thighs, beef shanks, 7-bone steak, ribs etc, all used to be cheap as heck but then went mainstream and started being appreciated by more well-off folks (and it turn restaurants that serve these folks) and the prices shot up. I no longer share any good cuts or sleeper values with anyone lol. I preferred it when the upper-crust was happy with dry chicken breasts. 😁     

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I used to get large trays of them for cheap before they went mainstream. 

The same phenomenon happened with monkfish, NYC yuppies in the 80s discovered it tastes like lobster and that's all she wrote pricewise. 

On topic: In the steakhouse the Napa Valley Caymus is a good seller.

• Like 1

I found the "flat iron steak" inedible when it was on the MDR menu years back. Always told people cruising with us everything else on the menu was good when I was asked for advice. 

If the "strip loin" (can't be a real USDA strip loin) is worse, I can't even begin to imagine how bad it is. 

47 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

I found the "flat iron steak" inedible when it was on the MDR menu years back. Always told people cruising with us everything else on the menu was good when I was asked for advice. 

If the "strip loin" (can't be a real USDA strip loin) is worse, I can't even begin to imagine how bad it is. 

it's bad, and in addition it even LOOKS unappetizing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksmcdonald said:

Not true at all.  Carnival still has the free bottle of wine on the first night in the steakhouse. 

Just received an email from Carnival offering a free bottle of wine the first night of our cruise leaving Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i was on the Miracle im June, Steakhouse  was on day 4 of 10 and they offered the free bottle when we sat  ( not expecting it) then service was slow, i gripped a bit about it and got 2 more bottles from the manager... what sucked is i dont drink wine so my family and friends scored ,,, and yes i paid the bill.

Cruiser "Wennfred" reported on the "Attestation and Steakhouse" thread....

"Was onboard Spirit 2 weeks ago and was told they no longer offer the Bottle of wine on the first night, but who knows, it changes every day with everything else."

Does anyone recall what day John Heald proclaimed this to be untrue? I can't find his FB post stating so. I want to screenshot it and present it to the Steakhouse manager if they refuse to honor the offer.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

Cruiser "Wennfred" reported on the "Attestation and Steakhouse" thread....

"Was onboard Spirit 2 weeks ago and was told they no longer offer the Bottle of wine on the first night, but who knows, it changes every day with everything else."

Does anyone recall what day John Heald proclaimed this to be untrue? I can't find his FB post stating so. I want to screenshot it and present it to the Steakhouse manager if they refuse to honor the offer.

August 17

The free bottle is only so-so, the red better than the chardonnay.  But the 50% off is a great option, except last time I tried to order my favorite Sauvignon Blanc the were "out".   Still got a good pinot gris and was happy.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:49 AM, pc_load_letter said:

I am not a big wine connoisseur. Is it a good wine that they were giving folks?

My party and I liked it but my lowbrow opinions are in the minority most of the time around here. I'm not a connoisseur either. You have a choice between a red, a white, or a rose, and that was it. I don't think they mentioned the brand name or anything, and we didn't ask or bother to read the label when it showed up, just chose red and we all drank it up pretty fast.

Obviously for more discerning preferences, the half price offer is a better option than the free grab bag stuff.