16 year old photo ID accepted?

tx121

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Also, though it's a small point, the actual length of usefulness is 9 1/2 years.  If you read the cruise line's documents -- I did -- they will not let you board with a passport that's expiring within the next 6 months. 

That is not true. Only  for some destinations is 6 months required. All you need for most North American destinations is a valid passport. 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

That is not true. Only  for some destinations is 6 months required. All you need for most North American destinations is a valid passport. 

Royal Caribbean's travel documents, page 3: 

Important Travel Requirements Royal Caribbean International highly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport and that the passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months following the voyage termination date. For more information on passport requirements, visa requirements, inoculation/health and family travel document requirements, please review the Travel Document page(s) within this booklet.

Might they allow you to board with an expiring-soon passport?  Maybe, but I would rather have a solid birth certificate + driver's license instead of an almost-gone passport.  

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Important Travel Requirements Royal Caribbean International highly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport and that the passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months following the voyage termination date. For more information on passport requirements, visa requirements, inoculation/health and family travel document requirements, please review the Travel Document page(s) within this booklet.

Might they allow you to board with an expiring-soon passport?  Maybe, but I would rather have a solid birth certificate + driver's license instead of an almost-gone passport.  

They will absolutely let you board with an almost expired passport if the ports allow it.

12 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

They will let you board as long as it is not expired if your cruise is to a port that allows it. A lot have done that  including me. And think about the illogic that a birth certificate and DL is better than a valid passport.....It is better not to wait until the last minute but I had travel stacked so I had to plan my renewal so that I had a passport in hand for a bunch of travel. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No one going on a closed loop cruise needs a passpot that doesn't expire for 6 months. Always been this way. Some countries require the 6 months if you fly there, not cruise there

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Why doesn't any 16 year old have a license?  Things really have changed over the last -- decade? -- or so.  From a high school teacher:  

- Our schools charge for Driver's Ed now, and that fee is a real problem for some kids.  

- Driver's Ed is after school.  More parents are working longer hours /second jobs, and some of them can't provide pick-up for that after-school class.

- It's harder to get a seat in Driver's Ed now -- not sure why we don't offer more classes, but LOTS of kids can't get a seat until they're close to 16 /even over 16.  After taking the class, they must keep their Learner's Permit for a year -- the result is that most kids don't qualify for a license until they're 17+ .  

- Teen insurance is so expensive -- I didn't "get it" until the bill came.  We were paying X to insure two cars and our house, and when our oldest turned 16, we started paying 2X.  Yes, literally double.  Seriously, a lot of people can't afford that. 

- I teach at a middle-to-upper class school; most of our kids live in single-family homes and have at least one college-educated parent; still, a whole lot of them can't afford it. 

- Something I saw more and more over the years:  Teens getting a Learner's Permit at 16 and keeping it until 18.  Why?  Because a Permit doesn't require insurance.  I've always railed against this idea because I didn't want my kids to turn 18 and head away to college with little-to-no solo driving experience, but other people's kids /other people's choices.  

- Fewer and fewer of my students -- even before Covid -- have part-time jobs, so they can't contribute financially to a car /insurance.  

My kid got his license 1 week after 16 birthday...

Didn't cost much.

Everything was online...

13 hours ago, matj2000 said:

My kid got his license 1 week after 16 birthday...

Didn't cost much.

Everything was online...

You do realize different states handle drivers licenses differently, my 19 year olds had to wait in line for 4 hours on 2 different days - before Covid. During Covid lines were 13 hours long. In 2021 I only had to wait 4 with my appointment.

12 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You do realize different states handle drivers licenses differently, my 19 year olds had to wait in line for 4 hours on 2 different days - before Covid. During Covid lines were 13 hours long. In 2021 I only had to wait 4 with my appointment.

Move...

39 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Move...

Well I see you are in Texas. When I moved here a year ago I had to get a Texas DL within 90 days. The earliest appointment i could get was two and a half months after I moved here at about 75 days. There was no line though.That was nice. I did have to spend 15 minutes while they went through a list and asked me if i wanted to donate a dollar for this or that fund. 

Edited by Charles4515