upgrade drink package

snag

Hi i am sailing on the grand princess from Melbourne to Adelaide in December and my fare includes the PLus drinks package. Could anyone tell me how much more a day it would cost to upgrade to the premium package. Thanks Snag

45 minutes ago, snag said:

Hi i am sailing on the grand princess from Melbourne to Adelaide in December and my fare includes the PLus drinks package. Could anyone tell me how much more a day it would cost to upgrade to the premium package. Thanks Snag

I tried to upgrade my existing plus bookings to Premium prior to cruising, but it was all too hard. I haven't heard whether they are pushing upgrades on embarkation day, and what the price would be if available. If nobody here has that info, I will be boarding Coral Princess on Friday, and it is something I want to find out for our longer cruise later in the year.

• Like 3

The Premier package is $85 pp per day which includes the Premier drinks package, a photo package, a four device internet package, two speciality dinners and entries in the door prizes. If you paid the original Plus package fare that would cost an extra $45pp per day, or $35pp per day over the current Plus fare

As far as I know there is no way of just upgrading the drinks package. Most of the drinks are covered by the Plus package, there are just a few cocktails, top shelf whiskies and cognacs, and wines that are Premier only ... but ... if you choose one if those you only pay the difference between the Plus maximum of $16 and the Premier price. For the wines that averages at $3 a glass. 

I crunched the numbers and for us it works out cheaper to stay with the Plus package and just pay the extra when we want the Premier wines.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

OK, no waiters selling upgrades on boarding day, and they said they won't do it once aboard.

From one of the Princess FAQs. They have changed the specs of the packages around, so you need to be sure on what it was at the time you booked vs what you are upgrading to. On our current bookings, Princess Plus has drinks up to $16, on new bookings it is now $12. Anyway, the FAQ:

1. I already purchased Princess Plus for my cruise. Can I upgrade to Princess Premier?
    Absolutely! You will only need to pay the $35 per day difference to upgrade to Princess Premier. You can either contact Princess or your Travel Agent to upgrade. You can only upgrade from Princess Plus to Princess Premier pre-cruise.

Just remember Princess Premier is a lot more than just an upgraded drinks package. It also includes a 4 device internet package, a photo package, speciality dining, and the door prize thingy. Make sure you want all that at a n extra $35pp per day. If you just want the higher value drinks you're better off staying with Plus and paying the difference between the Plus $16 maximum and the cost of the drink.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

How can we ensure that as we booked plus package a year ago we would get the up to $16 allowance of drinks and not be charged anything over $12

Read the T&Cs about the package on the Princess website. It clearly states US$12 and AU$16. 

All the cocktails we drank on our last cruise, in June, were over $12 but not over $16. No exrta charges 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Read the T&Cs about the package on the Princess website. It clearly states US$12 and AU$16. 

All the cocktails we drank on our last cruise, in June, were over $12 but not over $16. No extra charges 

Thanks  I will keep an eye on it on that cruise from Dover

44 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

All the cocktails we drank on our last cruise, in June, were over $12 but not over $16. No exrta charges 

Ahh, yes my bad. Forgot that was a US based FAQ. It was $16 last weekend too. If they ever change it down the track, you would still be covered by the terms you booked to anyway.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just remember Princess Premier is a lot more than just an upgraded drinks package. It also includes a 4 device internet package, a photo package, speciality dining, and the door prize thingy. Make sure you want all that at a n extra $35pp per day. If you just want the higher value drinks you're better off staying with Plus and paying the difference between the Plus $16 maximum and the cost of the drink.

We have given this a strong consideration for our next cruise because of the extras. The extra $210 for a 3 nighter will give us:

2 specialty meals each (up to $160),

3 printed photos plus a digital download of all photos taken (it is our 30th anniversary and a chance for some nice pics, and we always get a boarding photo anyway)

Espresso martinis with no added charge above $16

A chance at a door prize.

That said, I don't see enough extra value for us for cruises over 4 nights.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

We have given this a strong consideration for our next cruise because of the extras. The extra $210 for a 3 nighter will give us:

2 specialty meals each (up to $160),

3 printed photos plus a digital download of all photos taken (it is our 30th anniversary and a chance for some nice pics, and we always get a boarding photo anyway)

Espresso martinis with no added charge above $16

A chance at a door prize.

That said, I don't see enough extra value for us for cruises over 4 nights.

Agreed. Good for short cruises but not for longer ones. 

We never bother with photos so that drops the value for us. 

We'll stick with just paying the difference for Premier wines occasionally.

• Like 2