Storage of scuba gear on Wind Spirit

stev16766

My wife and I are going on the Wind Spirit in Tahiti in a couple of months.   We're experienced divers and I'd prefer to bring our own equipment.   However, I can't get an answer if there is any provision for storing/drying scuba gear onboard between dives.    I don't think the staterooms are adequate, so if there isn't anything else then we'll probably need to use rental gear.    Would appreciate any advice from divers who have previously been on the Wind Spirit.   Thanks

• Thanks 1

Hi, We are bringing our own gear to FP and when I called windstar and when my TA called to ask about storage and possible rinse facilities, we were told no. This was about 6 month ago and since then we’ve switched to PG (scheduling reasons) who has a PADI center on board and will store gear. 

• Like 1

stev16766, I would love to hear your report when you return from Wind Spirit and I hope you share it.

We're booked for Wind Spirit in June '23 and I'm an avid diver. I have faced your dilemma multiple times on Princess, RCCI, and Crystal trips. When I had a veranda cabin, I packed my BC, regulator, dive computer, mask, snorkel (sometimes), and one warm water wetsuit. Worked fine. But when I didn't have a veranda to safely hang the wet suit and BC overnight, I rented almost everything but still packed my mask, regulator and computer. That also worked fine, even though I missed not having my wetsuit and BC. I've never packed fins, weights or other accessories for cruise ship dive trips, but on liveaboard dive vacations, naturally I bring the full kit, including backups. 

Given the cabin descriptions for Wind Spirit, I'm considering just taking the mask and snorkel and skipping all diving. So, I'd love to hear how your trip works out. Thanks. 

On 8/18/2022 at 1:06 PM, minidonuts85 said:

Hi, We are bringing our own gear to FP and when I called windstar and when my TA called to ask about storage and possible rinse facilities, we were told no. This was about 6 month ago and since then we’ve switched to PG (scheduling reasons) who has a PADI center on board and will store gear. 

Yes, I've been told that there is no storage, just your stateroom.   Given that, I think we'll only bring our masks, reg and computer, and use the other gear from the dive operators.

Also interested in hearing your experience! We're looking to book the Tahiti Windstar cruise in November 2023. I'm also an experienced diver, and I WILL be bringing my gear, although probably not my wetsuit. I'm expecting I'll have to hang my BC in the shower to dry, then shove it under my bed.

I have a rule to NEVER rent gear (other than wetsuit and fins) after defective rental gear nearly killed me in the Galapagos some years back. So I will make it work! We will only have one set, as my friend that I'm doing this cruise with doesn't dive.

• Like 1

@Leejnd4ugh that is terrible to hear about the rental gear! Last time we rented  a regulator got stuck on free flow at 65ft. Scary! We bit the bullet and bought our own gear including great travel BCDs that fit into a backpack (included) as well as our reg kit, mask and snorkel. 

Our next two cruises will be on PG where we can store our gear on the WS area and then Regent but we will have a veranda.

Looking at Windstar Red Sea in March 2024 as it stops in Sharm El-Sheikh and Hurghada. Thinking we will do what you mention and rinse/hang the gear in the shower and then maybe hang the dry gear in closet. We have these great folding scuba hangers that work like a charm for BC and Reg kits. 

88758F32-9915-4668-AF3E-50BBCC07C602.jpeg

Edited by minidonuts85
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

@Leejnd4ugh that is terrible to hear about the rental gear! Last time we rented  a regulator got stuck on free flow at 65ft. Scary! We bit the bullet and bought our own gear including great travel BCDs that fit into a backpack (included) as well as our reg kit, mask and snorkel. 

Our next two cruises will be on PG where we can store our gear on the WS area and then Regent but we will have a veranda.

Yeah, that was my only near-death experience in nearly 600 dives. I won't be doing that again!

Funny you should mention the PG - we just today made the decision to book the PG instead of Windstar. While I was looking forward to getting back onto a Windstar ship, we'll do that some other time. This will be my third PG cruise, and I'm excited to experiencing French Polynesia again. And it's nice that the marina crew will take care of my gear.

• Like 1

@Leejnd4

Hi! Could you possibly write just a short blurb to Windstar and let them know the reason you ultimately decided to book with PG? I think they really need to know this. It seems that you were really considering Wind Spirit and the storage problem tipped the scale...thanks.

info@windstarcruises.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

7 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

@Leejnd4

Hi! Could you possibly write just a short blurb to Windstar and let them know the reason you ultimately decided to book with PG? I think they really need to know this. It seems that you were really considering Wind Spirit and the storage problem tipped the scale...thanks.

info@windstarcruises.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Actually it wasn't the storage issue - that wasn't really a concern for me. (Although I do think that Windstar should consider offering scuba gear storage in French Polynesia, since so many people go there specifically for that.)

The issue is that I'm doing this cruise with a dear friend of mine who is somewhat mobility challenged. And the Wind Spirit is just not all that accommodating for those with mobility challenges. We were able to get an ADA cabin on the PG, and she will be much more comfortable not having to climb stairs every time she leaves the cabin. PG has elevators. 

That really is the only reason we switched. I'm confident we would have enjoyed cruising FP on the Wind Spirit just as well as the PG. We are aware that every port other than Papeete will involve tenders, and with my help she can manage those, but the constant stair-climbing would have been problematic for her.

Thanks- understood.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Thanks- understood. I'm mobile but the "front to back" slightly jiggly stairs to the tender were worrisome for me. Also thought a lot about  those with mobility difficulties navigating the indoor stairs. First night out after dinner I was one of a few who helped a gentleman from a fall on weak legs. I don't know what else WS could do to let people know that  this is not a ship for one who has any difficulty at all with being stable on feet or legs.  Or endurance on 3-4 flights of stairs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• Like 1

I'm not a diver, but like to snorkel. I found it helpful to bring a dozen magnetic hooks along. I'd leave my mask, snorkel, etc in the shower to dry enough to stop dripping, then move them to hang from the hooks on the cabin wall so they would get more air circulation to finish drying.

The magnets won't stick on areas of wall covered with mirror or paneling but there are wall areas where they work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I don't know what else WS could do to let people know that  this is not a ship for one who has any difficulty at all with being stable on feet or legs.  Or endurance on 3-4 flights of stairs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

I agree it would be a good idea for them to put something in their ship descriptions making it clear that there are no elevators and the ship is not well suited for those with mobility issues. I even looked in the Health and Safety section, which would seem a good place to include that info - nothing there. No FAQ that I could find either, which would also be a good place for it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

I greatly appreciate your post (and Leejnd4's) as good reminders for caution as to all gear on every dive. Even when you bring your own stuff, there can be surprises. I have several stories from Cozumel, but the one that sticks out involved a badly damaged O-ring on my second tank of the day. About 12 minutes into the dive, my own brand new first stage started leaking like crazy at the tank connection. I caught the divemaster's attention by showing my tank was at 700 psi when everyone else was probably at 1800. Through hand gestures, he encouraged me to just buddy breathe and continue the drift dive to the end. My buddy and I disagreed with that, surfaced safely, and bobbed forever waiting for the boat driver to return from his beach break.  I've never had a first stage problem before or since, and I now carry extra O-rings and inspect every tank valve before I get wet.

Edited by SailingHigher
clarity
  • Like 1

@SailingHigher

Oh jeez, I hate to mention this as I have no information as to the details or outcome of this event. But there was talk onboard that on a ship sponsored tour this week on Wind Spirit (just got off 8/22) that someone got the bends while scuba diving. All I heard afterwards, and again this is only hearsay, that the person recovered with treatment on the ship just fine. The marina personnel seem enormously conscientious with gear and safety at the back of the ship. I doubt that they were the ones who ran the tour, or that the person hurt or tour guide was doing anything to compromise safety.

I spoke with several divers onboard who knew nothing of this event, but were very pleased with their experiences.

3 hours ago, SailingHigher said:

I greatly appreciate your post (and Leejnd4's) as good reminders for caution as to all gear on every dive. Even when you bring your own stuff, there can be surprises. I have several stories from Cozumel, but the one that sticks out involved a badly damaged O-ring on my second tank of the day. About 12 minutes into the dive, my own brand new first stage started leaking like crazy at the tank connection. I caught the divemaster's attention by showing my tank was at 700 psi when everyone else was probably at 1800. Through hand gestures, he encouraged me to just buddy breathe and continue the drift dive to the end. My buddy and I disagreed with that, surfaced safely, and bobbed forever waiting for the boat driver to return from his beach break.  I've never had a first stage problem before or since, and I now carry extra O-rings and inspect every tank valve before I get wet.

Oh boy! I would have done the same and surfaced. That’s a long time to buddy breathe! And agree that issues can definitely happen even with your own gear but with the piece of mind that we are meticulous about our gear (service, rinsing every time). Not saying shops aren’t but we were once given a second stage with a zip tie holding on the mouthpiece. Yea no thanks! 

We’ve got our little save a dive kit with O rings and such that we just picked up. Heading to the USVI/BVI for some diving this weekend! 

Edited by minidonuts85
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You need to store in your room.  If you ask nicely, you will able to rinse your gear at the water platform.   I dry the gear on deck while under way and in a nice breeze, and then hang it in my closet in my stateroom.  The cabins  are well laid out and will accommodate the gear easily. I will only use my own gear.  

• Like 1