WiFi - 4 devices?

phabric

Normally I have 1 device, log in and then log out to use either my Ipad or phone at different times.

On my cruise I will not have Plus, I am purchasing 4 devices for myself and cabin mate as it is cheaper than 2 separate 1 device.  

We will each have 2 devices.

If I remember correct, you log in with your birthday, cabin number?

How does having 4 devices each work? 

35 minutes ago, phabric said:

Normally I have 1 device, log in and then log out to use either my Ipad or phone at different times.

On my cruise I will not have Plus, I am purchasing 4 devices for myself and cabin mate as it is cheaper than 2 separate 1 device.  

Yes, it works well.  However, the price for 4-devices ($40) = 2 x 2-devices (2 x $20) if purchasing in advance to get the better pricing.  The 4-device plan is only less than 2 x single-device plan with the on-board pricing ($15 & $25/day).  You both use same sign-in credentials and the system keeps track of number of devices connected.  We always buy the 4-device plan.

9 hours ago, phabric said:

You would log each device in if you get the 4 device package.  If you have more than 4 devices, then you would need to log of one and then log in with the new device.  In terms of pricing, it is $10/day for a single device, or $20/day for 4 devices (with a 50% discount if you are Platinum or Elite) if you purchase it pre-cruise, for the entire length of the cruise.  e.g. for a 10 day cruise, you would pay $200 for the 4 device package (or 50% of that depending on status.)  The 4 device package worked well for me and my wife; as we could have our phones and our tablets logged in simultaneously.  Also, if your phone has wi-fi calling capability you can use it while in airplane mode.  I had initially planned on using my Google Voice number, but I got a phone call on my regular number (while in airplane mode)  something to do with extended warranty on my car🤣 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, phabric said:

Thanks, I am Elite.  It is about $1/2 cheaper to purchase 4 devices than 1 device

But to put things in perspective, we paid $100 for 10 days on the 4 device package ... which is a little over $30 more than we pay per month for a 1gbs fiber connection at home.  I measured the speed of the internet connection on the ship and it was about 3 mbs.

I am planning on a 32 day cruise.  These are the prices on my MedallionClass app.

1 device is $412.48 Canadian

4 devices are $825.28 Canadian 

For $0.32 more I get 4 devices unless Princess increases the price before I purchase 

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

But to put things in perspective, we paid $100 for 10 days on the 4 device package ... which is a little over $30 more than we pay per month for a 1gbs fiber connection at home.  I measured the speed of the internet connection on the ship and it was about 3 mbs.

On the other hand....I have DSL (only choice I have for my home internet connections ) for $55/month.  About the same speeds on a cruise ship.  Sad...6.2 Mbps download/wait for it....     0.66 Mbps upload.  

Not complaining.  I lived within my means when I had free minutes, but enjoy not having to worry about signing out. 

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I am planning on a 32 day cruise.  These are the prices on my MedallionClass app.

For $0.32 more I get 4 devices unless Princess increases the price before I purchase 

I hope that is the full price not taking into account your Elite status discount?

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Well, it's not so easy to direct compare when using CAD since Princess often rounds goofy when they convert the USD cost. 

Another thing is that is is kind of dumb to use Princess pricing because for some weird reason, the price the Internet at $9.99, $19.99, etc.  Much easier to call it $10 and $20.  Therefore, the math is equal.  I don't think anyone worries about pennies, but it certainly is not $$ difference between 2x1 device and 4 devices. 

I wouldn't worry about a MedallionNet price increase, but they do change the CAD from time-to-time and recently went from 1.25 to 1.29.  But, like I said, they often do not convert exactly - especially with cruise fares - and there is always some few cents adjustment going on.  I can tell from the numbers you provided that the rate being applied is 1.29. 

Anyway, I hope you are not trying to aplit hairs here and it was a bit tongue-in-cheek about it costing $0.32 CAD more for a 4-device plan.  You are eligible for the 50% discount.  So, going to have to wait until IT fixes the current bug or try calling in to buy it.

ETA:  Hey, it's only $0.16/more with your 50% applied.  LOL.

Edited by Steelers36

Just now, Steelers36 said:

I think we all know there is a MC App bug right now and the MedallionNet discount is not being applied, so the quotes are full price.

Oh!  I didn't know about that.  When I used it last month it went pretty smooth.  Thanks for the update.

Just now, SiliconCruiser said:

Oh!  I didn't know about that.  When I used it last month it went pretty smooth.  Thanks for the update.

Yes, it was working then fine.  IDK the exact date it went bust, but there have been a lot of posts about it.  Just not on this thread I suppose.  

When I went back to the MedallionClass app, my picture shows blue instead of black for Elite for all 4 cruises.  Ordering the Medallion, it shows black.

The price is not the Elite price.

The exchange rate is $1.29,

When I am ready to purchase I will call to get the correct price.

12 minutes ago, phabric said:

When I went back to the MedallionClass app, my picture shows blue instead of black for Elite for all 4 cruises.  Ordering the Medallion, it shows black.

The price is not the Elite price.

The exchange rate is $1.29,

When I am ready to purchase I will call to get the correct price.

You are one of the many unfortunate victims of the bad data where MC App has your incorrect CC Member Level.  This is in addition to the more recent bug of not applying the discount even if the status shows correctly.  It is really sad how long some bugs just stick around and the IT team isn't fixing them.  It's like they are putting on a band-aid fix for single guests and not getting at the root cause.  I just SMH at them and hope my cruise booking doesn't get completely wiped out or severely compromised like my friend's did within the past week (and then was laid more to waste by an OCEAN rep who didn't know what she was doing and unfortunately my friend is not as wise to the Systems as I am and couldn't stop her from what further mess she made).