Currency on Meraviglia

Solitarycruiser

1 hour ago, Solitarycruiser said:

I am boarding Meraviglia in Barcelona for a 19 day transatlantic cruise which ends on Port Canaveral.  Is the currency onboard US dollars or Euros?  Thanks for any information.

I don’t know, but I’m doing the same cruise. I expect it will be euros, but it’s hard to say. 

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but the onboard account settlements are made via a bank in France, so make sure you use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees, as the charge will be in Euros.  This is true no matter when are sailing whether Caribbean, or Europe or Transatlantic.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Solitarycruiser said:

I am boarding Meraviglia in Barcelona for a 19 day transatlantic cruise which ends on Port Canaveral.  Is the currency onboard US dollars or Euros?  Thanks for any information.

On all of our Europe to US/Caribbean TA cruises, the currency had been Euros.

According to this information from MSC's website (cannot find it there at the moment, but I would expect it to be still valid) your onboard currency will be EUR:

For cruises in the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Antilles, Dubai, the Emirates and Oman, as well as MSC Grand Voyages departing from Europe, the onboard currency is the Euro (€). 

For cruises in the Caribbean, South America and South Africa, as well as MSC Grand Voyages going to Europe and to Australia, the onboard currency is the US Dollar ($).

Just a tip for fellow Americans.  If you do not already have it, get yourself a credit card that does not charge foreign exchange fees.  Many MC/Visa cards issued in the USA charge foreign exchange fees (often around 3%) but there are also others that have none.  For many years the Capitalone MC was a favored card for many international travelers because it was fee-free.  But now, plenty of credit unions and smaller banks have fee-free cards.  The higher end affinity cards such as AMEX Gold/Platinum and the Chase Sapphire (Preferred or Reserve) also have no foreign exchange fees.]

MSCs European cruises all operate with Euros.  My WARNING is that if you are given a choice to have a charge cards processed in the local currency (i.e. Euros) or US. Dollars, always choose to have it processed in the local currency.  If you specify using US Dollars (when in Europe) you will usually get an outrageously awful exchange rate.  This falls under the so-called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" schemes which I think is akin to a legalized scam  You will not only see this with credit cards but it often will show-up when you use foreign ATMs.  If an ATM offers you an exchange rate to US Dollars (it will show-up on one of the screens) simply DECLINE the exchange.  When you decline you will be charged in the local currency (i.e. Euros) and the International ATM system will automatically handle the exchange at a much more favorable rate.    If you want to educate yourself about all this financial stuff you can simply Google "Dynamic Currency Exchange."

Hank

• Like 3