Viva cruise canceled

tomberly

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Why would you be concerned about a cruise 6 months after the ship's maiden voyage?

They seem to be having trouble getting the ship finished on schedule which is a good reason to be concerned about future cruises. 

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

They seem to be having trouble getting the ship finished on schedule which is a good reason to be concerned about future cruises. 

It is no reason to be concerned or cancelling a cruise 6 months from the revised maiden voyage. The cruise line has already made their adjustments.

Edited by BirdTravels

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is no reason to be concerned or cancelling a cruise 6 months from the revised maiden voyage. The cruise line has already made their adjustments.

And NCL never makes adjustments to adjustments 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I'm concerned about my Dec 6 booking.  Sure, I get just a tad less concerned each day, but, until that ship is sailing, I'll be concerned.

• Like 1

Hey, I have one of the mid-September 2023 Viva sailings -- at one point it was the third public cruise; now it's the fifth, and I feel a bit better.  I figured NCL wouldn't be adding earlier cruises unless they felt better about delivery.

But I can still get worried.  I know that's just me, and I deal with it.

(Oh, and I also have the backup plan of the late October 2023 Viva cruise on a similar itinerary, so that takes the heat off!)

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Why would you be concerned about a cruise 6 months after the ship's maiden voyage?

Because I have been doing alot of research on the Prima, which is the sister ship of the Viva. Not only that, with it only being 6 months old, not all the kinks and whatnot may be worked out. And if they still are having supply chain issues, which we don't know, they could push it back again. Only time will tell. Our party has just decided to wait until that ship is broken in some before sailing on it and we are switching to a different ship. 

On 1/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, PATRLR said:

I'm concerned about my Dec 6 booking.  Sure, I get just a tad less concerned each day, but, until that ship is sailing, I'll be concerned.

Sorry, that cruise has a medium of being impacted.

NCL has a poor track record on recent inaugural cruises. They schedule passenger cruises, then decide that they want to do additional Media/Travel Agent/VIP non-revenue cruises and whack the revenue passenger cruises. 

I think you know that The Bird sails on a lot of "first cruises". The very first cruises (Europe or US) have been cancelled on Prima ("maiden voyage" changed to VIP cruise), Getaway (inaugural cruise changed to the Bud Lite hotel), Encore (changed to non-revenue VIP cruise), Joy (US Alaska - changed to VIP cruise), and I want to say Escape (but can't find a cancellation notice for that). The Joy restart from Jamaica was totally cancelled. The Epic's first cruise after the 2015 dry dock was changed twice (this was more of a "didn't get done in time" than decision to do VIP cruise). 

2 hours ago, mlocastro said:

Because I have been doing alot of research on the Prima, which is the sister ship of the Viva. Not only that, with it only being 6 months old, not all the kinks and whatnot may be worked out. And if they still are having supply chain issues, which we don't know, they could push it back again. Only time will tell.

NCL has been launching a brand new ship each year for a while. They won't be doing any major changes to fix kinks in the Viva,,, if needed, that may be done on Ship #3. 

You do know that the external construction was completed in August and the ship floated out of the build hall. 

Edited by BirdTravels

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry, that cruise has a medium of being impacted.

I assume you meant to write "medium chance of being impacted".

The more I've thought about it I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that we probably won't get on that ship on that date.  Now that the TA's first stop in US is Miami, and considering that my Dec 6 cruise is a Wednesday to Wednesday, at the very least I expect it to be chock full of TAs (much the way the first Encore out of Miami this season was) but more likely I get kicked off in favor of more important people than me.

I also wonder if the unavailability of Vibe is somehow related - not going to collect those funds if confidence is low that cruise actually happens?  Or worse, not going to collect those funds because we're going to dedicate Vibe to VIPs?

Edited by PATRLR