Another ArriveCan Question

What happens if you don't have access to a phone/email and don't know that you may have been chosen for random testing when arriving at YVR for a same day cruise and just go straight to the ship ??

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

What happens if you don't have access to a phone/email and don't know that you may have been chosen for random testing when arriving at YVR for a same day cruise and just go straight to the ship ??

You could try calling up the helpline about all matters travel testing - info here. Based on past experience my best guess is they will toe the party line, give the official timelines (should be notified with 15mins, must complete test by end of next day), warn you of the potential maximum penalties (I think not testing is a max fine of CAD$5,000 rather than the 6months jail time/CAD$750,000 for failing to Quarantine or forging documentation) but give zero indication about 'what if exemptions' and likelihoods of enforcement - but at least you'll be hearing it from the proverbial horses mouth rather than an internet rando!

On 8/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, Ashland said:

If your in transit your suppose to do the test when you arrive at your final destination.  The feds have contracted different companies in different regions, if they don't have a local provider at your final destination they are suppose to ship you a home test you can do and return.  

I would assume in your case give your final destination is anchorage or something like they they would do something practice. 

2 hours ago, em-sk said:

If your in transit your suppose to do the test when you arrive at your final destination.  The feds have contracted different companies in different regions, if they don't have a local provider at your final destination they are suppose to ship you a home test you can do and return.  

I would assume in your case give your final destination is anchorage or something like they they would do something practice. 

My cruise is roundtrip from Vancouver. We land at noon and sail that same day at 5:00pm. We usually keep our phone on airplane mode the whole time we're away from home (USA). I'm so stressed about this whole random testing. We'll test before we leave home per RCI policy to board the ship. So just what happens if we don't see the possible email ?

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

My cruise is roundtrip from Vancouver. We land at noon and sail that same day at 5:00pm. We usually keep our phone on airplane mode the whole time we're away from home (USA). I'm so stressed about this whole random testing. We'll test before we leave home per RCI policy to board the ship. So just what happens if we don't see the possible email ?

Not the first e-mail from the government that someone misses and will not be the last.

Their goal is not to go punish people.  They are trying to get a statistically representative sample of people coming into the country.   If you miss the e-mail or text give them a call when you finally do get it even if it is a few days later and your back in the US.  Based on where you are at the time they may decide it is not practical or useful for you to do the test and just close it out.

The penalties for not complying are there for those people who have a political agenda they are trying to push and are trying to make a point. 

If you come across as trying to comply to the extend that it is practical they will be practical and reasonable in return.   

1 hour ago, em-sk said:

Not the first e-mail from the government that someone misses and will not be the last.

Their goal is not to go punish people.  They are trying to get a statistically representative sample of people coming into the country.   If you miss the e-mail or text give them a call when you finally do get it even if it is a few days later and your back in the US.  Based on where you are at the time they may decide it is not practical or useful for you to do the test and just close it out.

The penalties for not complying are there for those people who have a political agenda they are trying to push and are trying to make a point. 

If you come across as trying to comply to the extend that it is practical they will be practical and reasonable in return.   

Thank you so very much for your post. I certainly don't want my picture to be on the most wanted list in Canada. This long scheduled cruise has had some stressful moments so far that questioned even if it would happen. Again, I appreciate your input.

37 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:

I keep my phone on airplane mode when I'm in the US and guess what, I can still receive emails and texts.

Yes...but then I can't respond or I'll get huge roaming charges...This happened once in Canada to me....so I don't take the chance. Once onboard I'll have internet but by then it'll be too late to respond...to the random testing...right ??

This crazy!  I assumed that random testing meant that you are told at immigration to be tested at the place of entry.  I don’t have phone coverage in Canada. I turn my cell phone off when I leave the USA. I also turn it off when I am on a ship.  I don’t buy WiFi on the cruise.  Is there a Canadian requirement that you must have a working cellphone?  The comments on this thread have me worried.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Redtravel said:

This crazy!  I assumed that random testing meant that you are told at immigration to be tested at the place of entry.  I don’t have phone coverage in Canada. I turn my cell phone off when I leave the USA. I also turn it off when I am on a ship.  I don’t buy WiFi on the cruise.  Is there a Canadian requirement that you must have a working cellphone?  The comments on this thread have me worried.

You don't need phone coverage - only email access which can be done using WiFi rather than data. The regulations do say that you will be notified on the email address you use for your ArriveCAN account; that the notification will arrive within 15mins; and YVR has free WiFi. So all that needs to be done to be compliant is turn on your cellphone (airplane mode to avoid charges!) or any other device that can receive email as soon as you are through immigration, make sure you don't leave for 15 mins, and check your email...

No email? Good to go! Email? Then follow the instructions in that email - either head straight to the walk-in lab near YVR, get tested, then head to hotel/pier or if you have some pre-cruise time you might find it more convenient to instead go straight to your hotel and use a contracted downtown Shoppers Drugmart for the test while you are sightseeing. Bonus - if your results come back before you cruise, they are totally valid to let you board! Think of it like getting a free government issued PCR test for you own piece of mind - how much would most of us have loved to get one of those a year back???

Other countries with similar systems have similar expectations, e.g. New Zealand explicitly states you must travel with a suitable device to run their tracking app.

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you managed to avoid random testing, and all the stuff that's meant to be behind-the-scenes remained there. If you plan for the worst, it usually seems like time wasted... except when something goes awry!

Looks like your next trip north will have fewer hoops to jump through though, so we'll see you back soon maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martincath said:

Glad you managed to avoid random testing, and all the stuff that's meant to be behind-the-scenes remained there. If you plan for the worst, it usually seems like time wasted... except when something goes awry!

Looks like your next trip north will have fewer hoops to jump through though, so we'll see you back soon maybe?

Yes we were completely prepared for everything...I can't tell you how many times I (we) kept checking our phones at YVR. We had even pre-arranged with our private transportation to take us to the testing site and to wait for us and then continue on to Canada Place.

We will absolutely be back to cruise Alaska for a 6th time.

Again, I appreciate all your help and certainly your patience answering my many questions.

Hoping you had a good visit with your Mom !!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Again, I appreciate all your help and certainly your patience answering my many questions.

Hoping you had a good visit with your Mom !!!

You're welcome, and thanks - everyone left fatter. but with the same number of appendages as when they arrived, so it was a pretty good visit by family standards  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1