Splendida in Genoa

panchakes

We will be on Splendida in Sept in the Mediterranean. Disembarking/Debarkation (have no idea which term is correct)for us is in Genoa. We are going to take the train from Genoa to Bologna. I’d like to buy my train tickets early to save $ and stress but am unsure if we can make an 11:00 train that morning. Does anyone have experience with this port? Thanks!

Edited by panchakes
Spelling

• panchakes changed the title to Splendida in Genoa

I would consider a train at 11AM from Genoa Piazza Principe train station as perfect timing given the ship will arrive at 8AM.

The train station is a 5-15 minute walk from the port, depending on the terminal you arrive at.     

If you are planning to take regional trains only, then there is no benefit to booking in advance - all tickets are "ordinary".   If you are planning the intercity or high speed trains then you can save a lot of money booking in advance.   

I have the Trenitalia app on my phone, and I book and show the tickets using the app so I don't have to print anything out.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As stated, I believe the 11AM train is doable, 10AM not so much, once on Genoa ships used to arrive very early with gangway open by 8:15 or such. At cruise beginning, ask guest services if they permit you self-debarkation there. If not tell them you have a train by 11 and they'll likely to give you early debarkation slot. Several years have passed since I was there, but as I remember the port's authorities there used to offer a bus transfer from port to main train station.

By foot you are in 5 Minutes at the train station Genova P. Prinzipe. From the ship you see the station.
It depends from your experience, with YC also the 10am train ist doable, from a normal category perhaps not if you have to wait until your time.
There is no shuttle bus, and no need of shuttle bus, its so near to go to the station.

Normally I take a 13pm train and so I will eat lunch on board and take then the train home.