First time doing a guarantee

southernshug

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

No.  I didn’t like what was available.  I looked at the worst-case scenario in the higher category and chose the guarantee.  I anticipate a paid upgrade offer closer to the sailing date and have budgeted for that.  If it doesn’t happen I will be fine with the guarantee.  It’s a port-intensive cruise so it’s really only a crash pad.

Hope you get a decent roll of the dice, and your assignment is to your liking.

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:21 PM, Vict0riann said:

My suggestion would be to purchase Club Orange for your cruise. It is US$15 per person per day on Nieuw Statendam, I think.  For that you can upgrade to any stateroom in your category-  oceanview, I think it is?.  You get, as well, priority boarding and tendering, a dedicated CO line at the Front Desk and the shore excursion desk, a smaller dining room, mimosas for breakfast, a $50 coupon to the spa, and a couple of other little perks.  The first night in the CO dining room, a glass of bubbly, in your room a CO bag, and first dibs on getting a piece of jewelry cleaned in the Effy store on board.  

I just checked CO and was told it was $25 per person per day.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, KroozNut said:

An 'upgrade' is truly in the eyes of the beholder. What HAL offers as an 'upgrade' may not be such a wonderful deal based on many factors such as location, etc. As an example, the upgrade may be in a higher category, but directly below BB King's ...not exactly desirable.

When you are starting with a guarantee there is no way to apply your criteria, as you have no defined starting point. I was referring to cabin category.

On 8/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, silversneakers said:

Good to know.  Are longer voyages considered 14 days or more?

If I recall correctly, longer voyages are 14 days or more.  Hopefully someone can confirm.  If I find the info I will come back to confirm or amend.

Edited by *Miss G*

On 8/19/2022 at 9:21 PM, southernshug said:

Ocean view category F on Nieuw Statendam. I am curious if anyone can tell me how noisy it is on the main level on this ship? Looks like all these cabins are either under the clubs or the stage area. Thank you for your insight! 

Last year, we sold our home and downsized to an apartment  which we love, BUT, our neighbour who shares the master bedroom wall is pretty hard of hearing and her bedroom TV can be quite loud. We bought a white noise machine (like the ones for baby rooms) and I have to say,  should have bought one years ago. They are great at blocking ambient noises and are quite soothing to sleep.

On our last cruise in June, we had noisy neighbours (kids in the room). The unit we bought is not big, but there are smaller more portable ones, and we plan to purchase a smaller one and never travel without it again.

If we are allowed to say, on cruisecritic our unit is a Yogasleep brand.

Edited by rodndonna
more info

6 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Last year, we sold our home and downsized to an apartment  which we love, BUT, our neighbour who shares the master bedroom wall is pretty hard of hearing and her bedroom TV can be quite loud. We bought a white noise machine (like the ones for baby rooms) and I have to say,  should have bought one years ago. They are great at blocking ambient noises and are quite soothing to sleep.

On our last cruise in June, we had noisy neighbours (kids in the room). The unit we bought is not big, but there are smaller more portable ones, and we plan to purchase a smaller one and never travel without it again.

If we are allowed to say, on cruisecritic our unit is a Yogasleep brand.

We like to sleep with a white noise machine, at home and at sea.  We now have an app on our IPhone that works quite well when we travel.  You might want to look into that since your phone will be with you anyway.  We no longer bring our portable white noise machine along, but still use our tried and true one at home which we purchased at Sharper Image 26 years ago.  

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We like to sleep with a white noise machine, at home and at sea.  We now have an app on our IPhone that works quite well when we travel.  You might want to look into that since your phone will be with you anyway.  We no longer bring our portable white noise machine along, but still use our tried and true one at home which we purchased at Sharper Image 26 years ago.  

What app would that be?  I'm interested because our next cruise we (again) have a connecting room, and may need some white noise!

29 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

What app would that be?  I'm interested because our next cruise we (again) have a connecting room, and may need some white noise!

Was that cabin assignment your choice, or was it a guarantee assignment?

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann it's White Noise Lite.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/white-noise-lite/id292987597

PS  Make sure you download the IPhone app unless of course you want the app for IPads.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Was that cabin assignment your choice, or was it a guarantee assignment?

It was the best we could find, an upgrade with CO.  Very last minute.  I voted for a different C, but DH and our PCC both voted for this one.  There wasn’t much left.  

12 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks.  My iPhone is newer, so I will do it on that.  

Ann, when we got our app we listened to the sounds to pick out what we liked.  Strangely enough we liked "Brown noise" better than "White noise".   Box fan is good if you have it turned up high enough.

Also just plug the phone in overnight while you use it.  One night I didn't and was awakened about 5 am by the noise suddenly just stopping when the battery was nearly depleted.

• Thanks 1