Valencia - bike rental

carlmm

• 3 weeks later...

Can't help with the bike rental, but so you know, Valencia is a commercial port, so you can't walk out. Choices are taxi or the free port bus which drops you at the red pin on this map outside the ferry terminal building.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/39.4551027,-0.327667/39.4550702,-0.3277092/@39.4547343,-0.3293665,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Simon

We will be in Valencia in early Nov and plan to rent bikes.  We are in port from 7-4.  I originally planned to use one of the rental sites near the port.  As mentioned there are several which appear to be within a mile of the port entrance.  However, I discovered that many of them don’t open until 9:30 or 10 am and then close again for siesta between 2-4ish.  Therefore it appears we would only be able to rent a bike for about 4 hours (10-2).  I prefer to get up and moving earlier and not feel pushed to get the bike back before they close.  Therefore my current plan is to try the city Valenbisi bikes - https://www.valenbisi.es/en/offers/groups.  

I have not used them before so have no personal knowledge.  Online research leaves me with the impression that the disadvantage is that they are probably heavier and clunkier than what you might rent at a bike shop.  Advantage is you can rent 24/7.   You can get a 13e weekly rental.  Each ride of 30 min or less is included in that price.  Anything longer than 30 min results in an additional charge (about 1 e for 1 hour of use and 3 e more for each hour past the first one).  People get around the extra charge by stopping at a docking station/bike rack during the first 30 min and “turning in” the bike and then re-renting it.  Seems like a lot of work to avoid paying 1 e but I might do it if the bike rack was conveniently located to where I was.  Other caution is to make sure the bike is actually “turned in”.  Apparently the machine makes some beeps to say it was docked properly but you can also get a receipt which shows the status of the bike.  If not properly “turned in”, you’ll end up with a big bill.  It also appears that you should download the app and sign up for the service prior to arrival.  You can’t reserve a bike but you can have your account ready to go.  Looks like you can only do this 15 days before you want to start your weekly pass.  

I plan to download the app before the trip and reserve a weekly pass.  When we dock in Valencia, we’ll check the app for availability of bikes, disembark when we can, take free port bus to entrance, and walk to nearest Valenbisi location with bike availability.  You can return the bike anywhere so if we get tired and want to ditch the bike, we’ll catch a bus or taxi back to port.

I hope this may help someone else with their research.  If anyone has additional knowledge that would help me, I’d certainly appreciate it.

There were loads of them about when we were there 3 weeks ago. Didn't see anyone 'struggling' to ride one, so you should be OK. I would think its an ideal way to visit the newish buildings built on the old course of the river (there is a name for it, but it totally escapes me!!!). We did the HOHO bus and would have liked more time to explore the area. Hope the trip works out OK.

Simon

• Like 1

Ciudad de las Arts e Ciences, although I probably spelled that wrong.  It's the City of Arts & Sciences.  We could see it in the distance from where we docked.  I took a public bus there from not far from the port entrance - loved it more than the old town part of Valencia!  Artist is Santiago Calatrava.

• 7 months later...