Buenos Aires cruise April 2023 need help

Lojay2

I know we are a ways off from South America travel but I do have a couple of questions for the cruise critic travel experts

1. Currency in Buenos Aires..... can you use USD or do I have to get some money exchanged in Miami prior to flying out? I understand I can exchange it there but still need money for tipping and cab from airport to hotel I would think.... don't want to waste time at the airport if at all possible.  

2. Planning on being there two days prior to boarding the ship (Celebrity Infinity)  but then we have a overnight in port and do not actually leave until the next evening (actually second day of cruise) never had this before, the question is on day one can we come and go once we are checked in for additional sightseeing or do we have to wait until ship has the muster and luggage drop off?  Do they have times that you have to re-board if in fact we do get off. Asking now because we are lining up a tour guide and not sure how many days to plan on.  I know I have the two prior days and the one that is day two of the cruise but its the boarding day that I an concerned about. 

3. We end in Rio, again same question about currency, we are going to be there 3 days after the cruise so I will have time to get money, but its the crazy time getting off the ship and getting to the hotel that I question. 

Thank you in advance for your help

So glad I can pass this info on. You will need all new $100 bills in order to exchange currency. 4 of us did not know this and were scrambling. We were able to use our charge cards in most places and 2 of us had several new bills so live and learn. We stayed for a week in 2 studio apartments and were able to have the staff order us a Radio cab (dirt cheap and government controlled) to pick us up at the port (CELEBRITY ship)  and drop us at the hotel and finally airport when we completed our trip. Loved Buenos Aires.

Sorry to say this but RIO is very very dangerous. We hired our own guide who kept the car doors locked at all times. DO not surrender your passport for a discount (supposedly if you are a certain age, you are entitled to a discount but you need to surrrender your passport as evidence).  Many cruisers complained that they had to fight to have their passports returned. They also encourage you to pay with a credit card for obvious reasons. They have ALL your info at one swipe.  Best advice- get your Brazilian money before leaving the U S and book a tour with the ship, if possible. If you must use a credit card pre load a "gift card" american express or other. That way, you will not be out of pocket if the worst occurs. Since our cruise did not terminate in Rio ( Thank God) I can't help with transportation from the ship. I might contact the hotel and have them send reliable transportation from the port to their hotel. Truly, you cannot be too cautious in Brazil.  That being said, have a wonderful time knowing that an ounce of prevention..

The Breens and MCCarthys

41 minutes ago, Brown333 said:

So glad I can pass this info on. You will need all new $100 bills in order to exchange currency. 4 of us did not know this and were scrambling. We were able to use our charge cards in most places and 2 of us had several new bills so live and learn. We stayed for a week in 2 studio apartments and were able to have the staff order us a Radio cab (dirt cheap and government controlled) to pick us up at the port (CELEBRITY ship)  and drop us at the hotel and finally airport when we completed our trip. Loved Buenos Aires.

Sorry to say this but RIO is very very dangerous. We hired our own guide who kept the car doors locked at all times. DO not surrender your passport for a discount (supposedly if you are a certain age, you are entitled to a discount but you need to surrrender your passport as evidence).  Many cruisers complained that they had to fight to have their passports returned. They also encourage you to pay with a credit card for obvious reasons. They have ALL your info at one swipe.  Best advice- get your Brazilian money before leaving the U S and book a tour with the ship, if possible. If you must use a credit card pre load a "gift card" american express or other. That way, you will not be out of pocket if the worst occurs. Since our cruise did not terminate in Rio ( Thank God) I can't help with transportation from the ship. I might contact the hotel and have them send reliable transportation from the port to their hotel. Truly, you cannot be too cautious in Brazil.  That being said, have a wonderful time knowing that an ounce of prevention..

The Breens and MCCarthys

thank you

2 hours ago, Lojay2 said:

Currency in Buenos Aires..... can you use USD or do I have to get some money exchanged in Miami prior to flying out? I understand I can exchange it there

I would check and double/triple check that you can do this in Miami.  I did not try to get any currency changed in Miami.  Argentine Pesos was the only currency that my bank (Chase) could not obtain for me prior to departure.  I didn't try to buy much in Argentina, but, USD was not accepted in shops.  Had to use a credit card to even buy postcards.  I did not care for Argentina and the currency issues were one of those reasons.  Having new bills when one is traveling abroad is always a good idea.  

BE AWARE - There are two exchange rates in Argentina. The official rate and the Blue rate. If you use ATM's, or credit cards, you will get the official rate, which means you'll be only getting about half as many pesos per dollar!!

If you want to get the best exchange rate take new, crisp $50 or $100 notes, and exchange them for pesos with one many vendors in any of the major shopping areas. Most independent tourist guides will be happy to exchange your dollars, just let him/her know ahead of time.

The three major Buenos Aries newspapers list both exchange rates.

image.thumb.png.8a2a06af6961b1de30e634ab30240d0c.png

This article covers the background as to why the two rates exist. Everything You Need To Know To Save Using the Dollar Blue in Argentina (boardingarea.com)

You can get up-to-date exchange rates from numerous sites on the internet, such as Blue Dollar Rates : Informal Rate, Formal Rate & Bank Rate of US Dollar in Argentina

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:46 PM, rkacruiser said:

I would check and double/triple check that you can do this in Miami.  I did not try to get any currency changed in Miami.  Argentine Pesos was the only currency that my bank (Chase) could not obtain for me prior to departure.  I didn't try to buy much in Argentina, but, USD was not accepted in shops.  Had to use a credit card to even buy postcards.  I did not care for Argentina and the currency issues were one of those reasons.  Having new bills when one is traveling abroad is always a good idea.  

To add on to this, if you do get Argentine pesos, make sure you spend every single one of them before you leave the country. They’re one of the only currencies that are entirely worthless once you leave a country. No bank or money exchange in NYC would even consider exchanging for USD when I got back home. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, Lojay2 said:

2. Planning on being there two days prior to boarding the ship (Celebrity Infinity)  but then we have a overnight in port and do not actually leave until the next evening (actually second day of cruise) never had this before, the question is on day one can we come and go once we are checked in for additional sightseeing or do we have to wait until ship has the muster and luggage drop off?  Do they have times that you have to re-board if in fact we do get off. Asking now because we are lining up a tour guide and not sure how many days to plan on.  I know I have the two prior days and the one that is day two of the cruise but its the boarding day that I an concerned about. 

Forgot to add, but you'll 100% be able to disembark the ship after checking if you have an overnight at the start of your cruise. You're free to come and go during the time frame before sailaway, scanning your card in and out with security like any other port of call.

Regarding muster, most cruise lines are doing a virtual muster now, which you'll complete on your phone and then go to your muster station for a check in, so that won't be a holdup. If it's still a traditional, in-person muster process, that would usually be completed the second day just before sailaway. You also don't need to wait for luggage delivery... once you have your card, you can come and go as your please. 

The first day, the terminal will also have a separate entrance for passengers who have already boarded, so you don't have to go in the queue with passengers who are waiting to check in and embark.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:41 AM, GeorgeCharlie said:

BE AWARE - There are two exchange rates in Argentina. The official rate and the Blue rate. If you use ATM's, or credit cards, you will get the official rate, which means you'll be only getting about half as many pesos per dollar!!

If you want to get the best exchange rate take new, crisp $50 or $100 notes, and exchange them for pesos with one many vendors in any of the major shopping areas. Most independent tourist guides will be happy to exchange your dollars, just let him/her know ahead of time.

The three major Buenos Aries newspapers list both exchange rates.

image.thumb.png.8a2a06af6961b1de30e634ab30240d0c.png

This article covers the background as to why the two rates exist. Everything You Need To Know To Save Using the Dollar Blue in Argentina (boardingarea.com)

You can get up-to-date exchange rates from numerous sites on the internet, such as Blue Dollar Rates : Informal Rate, Formal Rate & Bank Rate of US Dollar in Argentina

Agree with above.

On Calle Florida and other pedestrian streets, you will be hearing people calling out 'cambio, cambio dolares"  .... not to sure how safe these are; the locals go to a "cave" (cueva as they call it).    There are a lot of people who would be willing to buy your dollars at a better rate than a bank - banks are the last place.    Check the rates before you exchange!!!

I frequently travel to Buenos Aires as I have family and friends there, and my last visit was last month.

I would also advise great caution in Rio (per post #2)

Do read this fairly recent thread, or maybe start a thread with Rio Safety as the subject:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2846897-rio-april-2023/#comment-63789450

Despite the problems there it is still an amazing city to visit.  Standing up at Christ The Redeemer and looking at Rio spread out below is one of those "pinch me I must be dreaming" moments.

Edited by edinburgher