Dreams of Tahiti- couple of snorkeling and luggage questions

320sailor

Hi all,

7-day Dreams of Tahiti cruise coming up in a couple of weeks.  Three questions:

1) Doing drift snorkeling with Windstar and everything says to wear water shoes, no prob.  But what do you do with those shoes if you are using fins that fit onto your bare feet?  Is there a boat or other place you can leave your shoes while snorkeling?

2) Do most people bring their own fins or use ones (presumably) provided by Windstar.  We will be bringing our own masks and snorkels but trying to pack light.

3) At the end of the cruise we will do the Tahiti East Coast Tour with Windstar.  Is there a place where we can leave our luggage, since we will have already departed the ship?

Thanks!

Regarding question #2: my husband and I always have done what you are doing: bring our own snorkels and masks and use Windstar's fins. This works out fine. I seem to recall that we went down to the sports platform at our earliest opportunity to get our fins and then kept them in our stateroom for the duration of the cruise. 

Regarding question #1: I have no personal knowledge of this, but I THINK I recall others on this board saying that the drift snorkel guide would hold your shoes for you. Hopefully someone else with first-hand knowledge  (Petoonya?) will comment on this.

Just returned today from the 18 day Tahiti cruise.

1) Just as Avalong said the guides will take your water shoes at the start of the drift where you change into your fins. They meet you at the end of the drift when you can change back into your shoes and walk again back to the start. You will be glad you brought water shoes. When you walk on current's edge from on land, it is laden with sharp coral- not for walking barefoot. There are three runs offered but most folks on our tour just did two as the day was cool.

2) We brought our own fins as we're used to them and they fit just right. The ones offered by the ship are excellent quality though and you won't be disappointed. It's a toss-up with mask though. I like my own because I can adjust and be comfortable immediately without worrying about fogging up. I don't waste time getting it right. The ship's masks are also excellent quality. But know some had trouble because of getting to fit just right. Others did just great.

3) No experience with this.

4) Just an addition! Do yourself a favor and skip the ship's snorkel and do H2O Bora Bora's. They are number 1 on Tripadvisor for a reason. Outstanding. Several on the trip I arranged said it was the best tour of the cruise. Excellent caring guides- they want you to see everything. A coral gardens drift that surpasses that on Motu Mahaea or Raiatea, mantas, eagle rays, sharks, stingrays, dolphins. Half day or full with lunch. We did both! Second time we've done with them in three years and they are the best. A four passenger boat or six passenger boat, (not the usual 8-12 on other tours) and priced less than the ship or their other competition.

• Like 1

I can’t agree more with Petoonya’s description on #4. We had the pleasure of experiencing H2O Bora Bora’s superb snorkeling excursion with Petoonya and her DH on the first week of their FP trip. It was truly the highlight of our trip.

This will be our first Windstar cruise in June 2023 and first time to Tahiti!

We are a couple in our mid-sixties; interested in easy snorkeling.   Looking at the coral garden drift snorkel but concerned because ship excursion states Strenuous.   Is it the strength of the current that makes it difficult?  If you had to choose, which is the best one (and maybe easiest) to do?  My husband prefers snorkeling in shallower water or closer to shore; he does not like to jump off a boat in the middle of the ocean to snorkel! HA

Any recommedations for other excursions - with ship or independent tour operators?   We would like to see some of the islands - maybe 4x4 or ATV.   Best way to spend time in Bora Bora and the lagoons??

We have swam with dolphins and sting rays at other places.  We have used independent tour operators on other cruises - based on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor recommendations.   Easy to do off this cruise?

In Bora Bora, are we allowed to visit the motu during the day prior to the evening dinner and show?

Any other recommendations or suggestions - anything Wind Spirit cruise to Tahiti - would be greatly appreciated!  

Super excited about this cruise!