Courses served at same time?

sherylc

Just got off Harmony of the Seas with a group of 11, although we didn't always eat together. We found across almost all of the restaurants including Coastal Kitchen, MDR, Chops that there was a very significant time gap between when some people got a course (appetizer, main, dessert) and when others did leaving members of the group either letting their food get cold, melt, etc or eating while others don't have food (which I've been taught is rude). This happened the same whether there were 11 of us dining or just 3 or 4 (and sometimes just with 2 of us!).  I could understand a few minutes between but it was often 5 to 10 minutes of waiting for last people to get served something. Has this become the newest standard in cruising?

It particularly hit home when the maitre d actually came over to our table in the MDR to "rush us out" for next seating and some hadn't even gotten their dessert or coffee served! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Just got off Harmony of the Seas with a group of 11, although we didn't always eat together. We found across almost all of the restaurants including Coastal Kitchen, MDR, Chops that there was a very significant time gap between when some people got a course (appetizer, main, dessert) and when others did leaving members of the group either letting their food get cold, melt, etc or eating while others don't have food (which I've been taught is rude). This happened the same whether there were 11 of us dining or just 3 or 4 (and sometimes just with 2 of us!).  I could understand a few minutes between but it was often 5 to 10 minutes of waiting for last people to get served something. Has this become the newest standard in cruising?

It particularly hit home when the maitre d actually came over to our table in the MDR to "rush us out" for next seating and some hadn't even gotten their dessert or coffee served! 

If they are rushing you out for the next serving you must of had MTD or early tradional on the deck they use for MTD .  MTD now seems to have long waits at the start. We have had two cruises this year, both times were late seating and both times is was not rushed and very relaxing. Solid 90 minute meal with desert and coffee. 

• Like 1

Last cruise the assistant waiter brought both my appetizers out at once.  Next time I will politely ask them not to do that.  I don’t want the meal to take all night but I don’t want to be rushed either.  

The larger the table the more you will wait for everyone to be served and it will naturally take longer.  It’s just the way we’ve found it to be for years.  

• Like 1

All of this is why we don't go to the MDR at all. We used to do MTD and the lines and chaos was not something we want to deal with. Many other dining options available.  If you have a big table it has always been a very long slog for dinner.

58 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Yup, lots changed from the 5 Course 2hr Meal of 30+ yrs ago. Part has to do with the Kitchen and how they are supposed to serve all Tables at same time. Travel Solo and I tell them on day one feed me now, not with other Tables(well Im nicer about it then that)with Dessert I'm out the Door in 25 min 30 at most. Like it as Early Main Dining I see the Shows with 2nd seating before they eat not having to wait for 2nd show

4 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

All of this is why we don't go to the MDR at all. We used to do MTD and the lines and chaos was not something we want to deal with. Many other dining options available.  If you have a big table it has always been a very long slog for dinner.

Unfortunately it was at MDR, Coastal Kitchen and Chops. Very consistently bad service. And often more than one appetizer to one person while another got zero.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Last cruise the assistant waiter brought both my appetizers out at once.  Next time I will politely ask them not to do that.  I don’t want the meal to take all night but I don’t want to be rushed either.  

The larger the table the more you will wait for everyone to be served and it will naturally take longer.  It’s just the way we’ve found it to be for years.  

Both appetizers at once seems to be the new norm. 

M

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

Unfortunately it was at MDR, Coastal Kitchen and Chops. Very consistently bad service. And often more than one appetizer to one person while another got zero.

And there it is.  Just terrible service everywhere.  It is lack of staff for sure. But...raising gratuity costs for less than acceptable service is a mystery. 

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

MTD now seems to have long waits at the start. We have had two cruises this year, both times were late seating and both times is was not rushed and very relaxing. Solid 90 minute meal with desert and coffee. 

We've been on 3 cruises so far this year (2 last year), all MTD. We normally go about 30 minutes after early finishes. We have always got our same table, and if not, at least our same waiters.... so they knew exact what we wanted to drink and how we wanted our food served (fast). And they always seem to make it happen. 

Having the same waiters helps. There's not a 5 minute wait for coffee for dessert, it is coming to the table when we order our dessert. 

And our waiter and assistant waiters always get a good tip for keeping our dining fast and efficient.