My Time Dining Question...?

On 8/24/2022 at 6:01 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I'm just leery of how all this will play out. Having just cruised with Viking spoiled me - walk in to dinner anytime (except for specialty dining). They don't do any of that TD or MTD. 

Sounds exactly how MTD was back in the day when It worked.

How many people were they dealing with on the Viking cruise?

Edited by c-leg5

On 8/29/2022 at 12:58 PM, karena1 said:

Every cruise we are on there are 2 lines for MTD.  one with reservations and one without.  We rarely make reservations as to us the whole point of MTD is eating when we feel like it.  We could care less if we have the same waitstaff so rarely wait more than 10 minutes for a table.  

That’s certainly how it used to be, at least last 10 years?

Doesn’t quite work that way these days.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:12 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Sure, great if you want to eat that late. We've never cared for that - even at home usually by 5:00-5:15. 

Not sure MTD was ever as early as 5? 

We never eat that early but I thought they used to get the TD going early then opened MTD. Certainly they didn’t do a whole TD sitting before opening MTD.

What has always annoyed us when we travelled with toddlers was WJ being closed at that time. currently Adventure is closed 3-6pm which is ridiculous for kids.

6 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

That’s certainly how it used to be, at least last 10 years?

Doesn’t quite work that way these days.

Been on 10 cruises since last August and always been 2 lines.  Sometimes a bit longer, but never have to wait that long.  Again, we don't care if we have the same waitstaff, so makes it much easier for us.

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure MTD was ever as early as 5? 

We never eat that early but I thought they used to get the TD going early then opened MTD. Certainly they didn’t do a whole TD sitting before opening MTD.

What has always annoyed us when we travelled with toddlers was WJ being closed at that time. currently Adventure is closed 3-6pm which is ridiculous for kids.

Unless my memory is skewed , in past sailings the Windjammer was never closed for that long a period at any point in the day.

Hopefully If/when staffing issues get sorted out , they will shorten the closure period toward supper .

Just now, LobsterStalker said:

Unless my memory is skewed , in past sailings the Windjammer was never closed for that long a period at any point in the day.

Hopefully If/when staffing issues get sorted out , they will shorten the closure period toward supper .

Supper = Dinner

12 hours ago, poocher said:

We are both retired now but old habits die hard.  Dinner is still 6:30-7ish.

It's whatever you get used to over the years. We were elementary school teachers and so generally home by 4:00 (at least in the early days - a bit later towards the end of our career) so, yeah 5:00 - 5:30 depending on what we had available in the fridge or had to make something. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:41 AM, c-leg5 said:

How many people were they dealing with on the Viking cruise?

Ours was a non-public sailing and only for those who were on the Sky incident back in March '19. Not everyone signed up for the (invitational) cruise so I think we had around 700 total pax. 

Edited by OnTheJourney