Age requirements?

dinkydee718

This is a tough question. 

NCL has conflicting information on their site and the NCL reps can give conflicting answers depending on where the NCL rep looks. 

Some forum members have been successful and some have not when it comes to booking minors in their own stateroom. 

My brother had this come up recently. He had looked at booking with NCL over Christmas and putting his oldest child (20) with his girlfriend (same age) in one cabin, putting his second oldest (17) in a cabin with the youngest two kids (14), and going in his own connecting cabin with his girlfriend. In other words, the only non-connecting cabin would be the two 20-year-olds.

Maybe the answer would have been different if they were sailing from another country besides the US, but NCL told him that there had to be someone 21 or older assigned to each cabin. He was asking me and my husband to go so one of us could be an adult for the third cabin, then we'd all switch room keys. We declined for other reasons, but I don't even know how that would work without one of us giving up our cruise card with a drink package on it to one of my nephews.

26 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Maybe the answer would have been different if they were sailing from another country besides the US, but NCL told him that there had to be someone 21 or older assigned to each cabin. He was asking me and my husband to go so one of us could be an adult for the third cabin, then we'd all switch room keys. We declined for other reasons, but I don't even know how that would work without one of us giving up our cruise card with a drink package on it to one of my nephews.

You wouldn't have to physically switch cards. You could've gotten spare stateroom keys that only worked for entry, not for purchase/alcohol. In your scenario if you had joined the group, the 20s and the teens could sleep in the 3rd stateroom even though the official booking would be different.

• Like 3

@rbxlady that's pretty much exactly what the T&C's I linked previously said is the policy.  The only discrepancy is that the the 'minor' is a person under 18, for some reason 18, 19 and 20 are a grey area but based on the wording it seems under-21 needs to be in a room connecting with a 21+ in the same party.

FWIW - a friend of mine is on Oasis of the Seas right now with her 4 kids (and two of their GF's), one is 21+, one 20, the other 2 under 15.  The two 20+ wanted separate rooms but either the 21+ had to be in a connecting room and accept responsibility for the under-21 or the under-21 had to be connecting with her.  He wasn't going to pay (the two 20+ were paying their own way) for an outside balcony so he had to be in a connecting room next to his brother.  The point of this?  ALL cruise lines have similar policies.  I think some allow the 'minor' to be across the hall, if the ship has inside rooms and balcony accessed from the same hall.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hallux said:

@rbxlady that's pretty much exactly what the T&C's I linked previously said is the policy.  The only discrepancy is that the the 'minor' is a person under 18, for some reason 18, 19 and 20 are a grey area but based on the wording it seems under-21 needs to be in a room connecting with a 21+ in the same party.

Sorry, I missed your post with the link to the T&Cs!

15 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You wouldn't have to physically switch cards. You could've gotten spare stateroom keys that only worked for entry, not for purchase/alcohol. In your scenario if you had joined the group, the 20s and the teens could sleep in the 3rd stateroom even though the official booking would be different.

I figured there was probably a way around it. Good to know! Would NCL care, though, if they figured it out? Or is it simply a need to have a 21+ responsible for the under-21s?

51 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I figured there was probably a way around it. Good to know! Would NCL care, though, if they figured it out? Or is it simply a need to have a 21+ responsible for the under-21s?

NCL doesn't care where people actually sleep. There does have to be a responsible adult "on paper" so if (for ex.) 4 preteens are sleeping in a room and break the TV, there is an adult who is responsible for the damage. 

For muster drill, a person has to go where they are officially assigned but getting a spare stateroom key and sleeping somewhere else isn't a problem. Obviously, both groups have to agree before getting a spare made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I took our oldest son 20 and his girlfriend 20 on the Breakaway last march. We where all in the Haven and all I did was assign myself and my son to one room and my wife and his girlfriend to another. No staff cared and we even informed their Butler and he said not an issue. Plus made sure the Butler would rat on them if they did anything stupid lol

• Like 1