Permanent cruise lines out of San Diego?

zhuangcorp

Hi, I am totally new to the cruise scene. I want to ask, which cruise lines are annual fixtures who have more or less a permanent base out of San Diego?

For 2022, I see HAL, Princess, and a few Norwegian cruises. But I'm not sure if they will be in San Diego every year. 

I agree with the other replies that you never know. Having said that, over the past 5 years (excluding Pandemic years), HAL is the most consistent provider of cruises departing San Diego. Princess, Carnival and, to a lesser extent, Royal Carib show up from time to time. I suggest you go to cruisetimetables.com and put in San Diego as your departure port. It will give every cruise leaving from san Diego from now through a couple of years from now, as long as the cruise lines have announced their schedules.

Princess is planning to sail the Diamond Princess out of San Diego this Winter, but cruises through the middle of November have already been cancelled due to lack  of crew so it's a bit up in the air right now. 

2 hours ago, cruisethirsty said:

I agree with the other replies that you never know. Having said that, over the past 5 years (excluding Pandemic years), HAL is the most consistent provider of cruises departing San Diego. Princess, Carnival and, to a lesser extent, Royal Carib show up from time to time. I suggest you go to cruisetimetables.com and put in San Diego as your departure port. It will give every cruise leaving from san Diego from now through a couple of years from now, as long as the cruise lines have announced their schedules.

I see. I live in SD so this is just an easy place for me to board cruises without having to book flights. I already booked a cruise with HAL, but I'm having a little bit of regret because they seem to be commonly available in SD. I wish I had booked with Princess instead, because they might not be around in the future. 

40 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

I see. I live in SD so this is just an easy place for me to board cruises without having to book flights.

I feel your pain.  We use to live near San Francisco and until not so long ago we had no home port cruise lines there.  Luckily Princess saw fit to come and home port there.  Port of San Diego figured since they are so "cool" and everybody wants to come to SD they could jack up the port fees and it wouldn't make a difference.  They were wrong, that's why the lines that use to home port in SD pulled out and only come hit or miss.  Some times I really envy people in Florida.  

Disney has the Wonder based in San Diego September to May.  Next year it will  be replaced by the Magic.

Holland America does well here with monthly Panama Canal voyages, occasional Sea of Cortez,  Hawaii, South Pacific, and California itineraries during the cruise season October to May.

Some Diamond Princess cruises will begin very soon November thru February.

NCL is going to base the Jewel here for a time in January and April 2023.  They have done some chartered cruises in the past also.

So, I'm not really understanding any comment about "port fees" being a factor.

There are almost 100 voyages varying from 2 nights to 69 nights and a dozen ships (8 cruise lines) from which to choose between September 2022 - May 2023.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

1 hour ago, DAllenTCY said:

Disney has the Wonder based in San Diego September to May.  Next year it will  be replaced by the Magic.

Holland America does well here with monthly Panama Canal voyages, occasional Sea of Cortez,  Hawaii, South Pacific, and California itineraries during the cruise season October to May.

Some Diamond Princess cruises will begin very soon November thru February.

NCL is going to base the Jewel here for a time in January and April 2023.  They have done some chartered cruises in the past also.

So, I'm not really understanding any comment about "port fees" being a factor.

There are almost 100 voyages varying from 2 nights to 69 nights and a dozen ships (8 cruise lines) from which to choose between September 2022 - May 2023.

David

But I don't see anything scheduled from Princess, HAL, NCL after Spring 2023. So will those lines come back to SD for future cruises?

41 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

But I don't see anything scheduled from Princess, HAL, NCL after Spring 2023. So will those lines come back to SD for future cruises?

It's anyone's guess, but it is pretty easy to drive to LA from SD for Princess, Norwegian, Celebrity, etc.