Countess Exceeded Our Expectations!

jebbs

As cruise starved travelers, we opted to book an AQV cruise last December, after Hawaii cruises booked on Princess, HAL and Viking were each cancelled.  I was very discouraged and thought about US mainland cruising. The American Countess fit the bill.  Quickly booked, with minimum research, we sailed last week, Chicago to Alton/StLouis Missouri.  We expanded our trip by doing on our own inChicago for two nights and also added 4 nights on our own post cruise…

But, you’ll want to hear about Countess. Chicago hotel was adjacent to Grant Park, a short walk to Institute of Art, and other downtown activities. Check in was easy, bus ride, although long due to traffic, was uneventful.  The boat was ready when the group arrived and many staff were out to greet us.  While the boat is small, 3 decks plus an open rooftop deck, they pack a lot of excitement into the space.  The bar/lounge area seemed spacious with high ceiling and 3 crystal chandeliers.  A comfortable Theatre held superior entertainment of vocalists and quartet band.  The band also performed most evenings in the lounge.

The dining room was beautifully appointed.  There is still something about linen tablecloths and napkins, assigned seating, two sitting dining…..and the food was exceptional.  My steaks and filets were all prime, and honestly, better than my dinner at Morton’s Chicago!  A friendly staff aimed to please. High marks all around .

Our inside cabin was compact, small really, although the bathroom rivals Viking Ocean in efficiency  Lots of counter space and a really great glass enclosed shower! A very outgoing cabin attendant was always eager to please.

The included excursions were a surprise!  Well run, and covering the basics of the area, we learned a lot about Midwestern life.  Additionally our fellow travelers taught us about other parts of the country!

So glad we chose the Countess and hope to sail with AQV in the future!

• Like 2

Thanks for the great review. We love AQV, and in one week will be on the third of their riverboats--the Duchess.  (Alton to Red Wing). 

I have not heard much about the Chicago to Alton cruise. What were the highlights/ favorite ports for you?

The Port of Havana location allowed us the opportunity to visit President Abraham Lincoln sites.  AQV did an excellent job planning a full day focusing on him.  It made me realize how pivotal his personal life was in what he brought to his only elected office.  This itinerary caused us to add a few days and travel to Eisenhower Presidential Library and today it’s Harry Truman Library.

Our stop to Hannibal was cancelled due to low and crowded river conditions.  As a result, we spent two days in Grafton…..not sure I’d want to do that again.

Happy traveling!

It's always reassuring to hear positive reports from on-the-spot travelers.  Excellent dining, interesting excursions, superior entertainment-- can't ask for more!  Except maybe an ironing board, which you confirm the existence of in a previous conversation.  Bravo all around!

• Like 1

We were on the same sailing.  We had been on the Countess, Cincinnati to Memphis, last May, and this cruise was not as good.   I'll be writing a review in the next few days.  I like the ship and the entertainment was good, but the ports were not as interesting.  As for the "uneventful bus ride," we got stuck sitting at the back of the bus due to mobility issues and both of us were fighting car sickness. So it all depends on your perception.