Sky Class Vroom or ATT cruise plan?

Hi.  On WOTS 3/19/23. In suite that includes Vroom for each guest.  I'm confused: with Vroom can you call out or do we also need to buy the ATT cruise package: $50 for 30 days per phone without data, $100 for 30 days per phone w data.  Just not sure what is included w Vroom and if you can call on it.  

Thank you!

First off, if you are even *thinking* of using roaming data on a cruise ship, stop right there.

The cruise ships charge the cell carriers ridiculously high roaming rates (fair disclosure, I work for Verizon), and that cruise package AT&T is offering only gives you a mere 200 MB. That is a loss-leader rate, and they are making no money from it. You're going to use that up in about 3-4 webpage loads depending on what you're doing. If you're not tech savvy enough to make 200 megabytes (NOT GIGABYTES) last an entire vacation, you should block all data roaming on the ship. I would pick the voice only option, and leave data absolutely off unless you are on land, where roaming is much cheaper. (Check with the carrier to see the offerings there.)

Should be noted that the cruise ship's tower is running off satellite internet, just like the wifi. Neither are going to be particularly reliable, but the ship's wifi is likely going to have better options. 

Okay, edit to add, sorry if I'm being harsh on that. I've had to give many, many customers bad news about their roaming bills over the years. Better to prevent the pain now. Use the ship's wifi at sea.

Edited by PolicromaSol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

That AT&T plan is crazy expensive if you use any data.

https://www.att.com/international/cruise-packages/

79FA549F-7804-4413-B034-CF47288523EF.jpeg

All the carriers are. The rates are pretty much being passed down from the cruise ship.

Just forego data on the ship. Use the ship's wifi, or wait until you're on land. 

6 hours ago, topanga49er said:

Hi.  On WOTS 3/19/23. In suite that includes Vroom for each guest.  I'm confused: with Vroom can you call out or do we also need to buy the ATT cruise package: $50 for 30 days per phone without data, $100 for 30 days per phone w data.  Just not sure what is included w Vroom and if you can call on it.  

Thank you!

On most ships, you can use Voom (less the "r") to make wi-fi calls and don't need to pay for the cruise package. If you are going to be making a lot of calls, then the $50 phone only may be worth while. 

That being said, we were on the Wonder in March 2022. At the time, the ship was blocking AT&T wi-fi calling. And the AT&T cruise package was not valid on the Wonder. Hopefully, all of that has been fixed by now. 

Just got off the phone with my daughter.  Call was as clear as any on land.  Now, my phone doesn't ring when she calls; I can't figure that one out.  But the calls themselves are easy and painless.  Even when the internet SUCKS - which it does on the Adventure - wifi calling works perfectly.

🙂