Room Change Question

WeCruise5

I’m currently booked in an inside fantastica category room on the meraviglia for February with a drinks and wifi included promotion. I want to change to an interior yacht club. In mock bookings it is $180 cheaper for the yacht club room by not using the drinks/wifi promotion and instead using the cheapest option. Do I need to cancel my current booking to do this upgrade (it’s paid in full) or if I call, can I get the yacht club by paying the difference in fares at the cheaper option for the yacht club room? Also, can anyone confirm there would be no penalty if I were to cancel in order to rebook at 5+ months out? 

I’ve called and switched to A YC cabin. But I’m sure others will comment about the disastrous things they’ve experienced in the past. It my experience it was easy. Yacht club includes drinks and Wi-Fi so the package isn’t needed.

As long as you are outside of final payment, you can book as a new booking and cancel the other booking for a presumed full refund...or call customer service.

Since it's paid in full, I'd be more inclined to call customer service.

9 hours ago, Tierun said:

I’ve called and switched to A YC cabin. But I’m sure others will comment about the disastrous things they’ve experienced in the past. It my experience it was easy. Yacht club includes drinks and Wi-Fi so the package isn’t needed.

Did you just page MSCDivina2016? 😉

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

But the OP makes it seem as if a YC IN is cheaper than an Interior with Drinks/WIFI (?)

$180 less than Fantastica??!!  It must be a black hole, or IT has taken over the pricing department!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JAGR said:

$180 less than Fantastica??!!  It must be a black hole, or IT has taken over the pricing department!

I think maybe I worded the original post wrong. If during the upgrade I have to stay in the Drinks/Wi-Fi promotion I will pay an additional $750. If they will allow me to change to the cheapest option (escape to sea) in booking then the price difference is only $570. I didn’t/don’t know if a room change would allow a fare type change as well since with the yacht club I will no longer need the other promotion. 

• Thanks 1

Ah, that makes sense. Since it is in Feb your CLEANEST bet is to cancel the first and rebook the YIN as a new booking with no drinks/wifi (because you don't need).  If you try to upgrade they will charge the $750 difference.  

I appreciate the feedback on this post. Thought I'd give an update. I called MSC to ask the cost to upgrade to the YC interior, fully prepared to cancel the booking. After a 30 minute call that included the rep reaching out to a supervisor for an answer to the question... the rep was able to upgrade me to the YC room I wanted at the lower tiered fare type. According to the rep, the supervisor said the change was allowed since it was an upgrade. I have been emailed my upgraded cabin number as well as price and everything looks right.  

Edited by WeCruise5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1