MSC Steak House Experience vs A la Carte?

DrSch

First Time cruising on MSC, not not familiar with the restaurants

Looking for recommendations as to if I should pre-book the dining experience, or just go and order from the menu.

The "experience" looks overly expensive, compared to what I have been able to see in regards to the menus.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences with this? 

We purchased Butchers Cut before our 11/2021 Divina cruise and we weren’t impressed. 

I knew going in that the option we purchased limited us as far as menu choices etc. and how much was included without an upcharge. 

We both had the filet and it was okay. Definitely not high end restaurant quality that we’re used to having on some of the other cruise lines we’ve been on. 

A few nights we ordered the NY sirloin in the MDR (I believe it was a $10 upcharge,) but they never charged us because there were only 490 passengers on board and honestly they would have given us the moon if we asked for it. lol
The sirloin quality was good and it was cooked perfect Med rare each time. 

We’ll be on Divina again in December and we’ve decided not to book Butchers Cut this time. To us it is just average and not worth the extra money. 

Edited by styles27
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrSch said:

Looking for recommendations as to if I should pre-book the dining experience, or just go and order from the menu.

The "experience" looks overly expensive, compared to what I have been able to see in regards to the menus.

I guess it depends on a few things - 1) the price they are offering to pre-book.  For example it used to be $39 (when the experience was $65), thus a good deal.  2) If you like the choices in the experience, 3) what it would cost to order what you want if you go a la carte.  If you are not going to order 3 courses plus a side you might be slightly better off going a la carte, but if there a pre-booking offer -- without the sparking wine - you will save money.  

8 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

I guess it depends on a few things - 1) the price they are offering to pre-book.  For example it used to be $39 (when the experience was $65), thus a good deal.  2) If you like the choices in the experience, 3) what it would cost to order what you want if you go a la carte.  If you are not going to order 3 courses plus a side you might be slightly better off going a la carte, but if there a pre-booking offer -- without the sparking wine - you will save money.  

This is what you get for 99.00

• 1 shellfish platter to share
  • 1 appetizer
  • 1 dry aged ribeye with sauces and sides selection
  • 1 chocolate lava cake
  • 2 glasses of New World wines

so it's kind of pricey.

This one appeals to me a bit more, and is probably the one I will take, unless I just wait to get on the ship.. this one is only 75:

Book two distinct dining experiences!
Includes two dining experiences at the following venues:

• Sushi Galaxy offers the finest sushi at sea, awarded by Berlitz Guide. The package includes a unique experience of Japanese cuisine composed of sushi, sashimi and much more, plus one typical oriental dessert
  • Butchers' Cut is a unique steakhouse parlor where guests can choose their favorite beef breeds and cuts from our glass-fronted meat-aging fridges

The package includes food only, a three-course dinner to choose from the Dining Experience Menu. Some items may be subject to an extra charge.

My personal recommendation is if you want a really good steak go to the main dining room and pay the supplement for the T-bone (porterhouse) I did this twice on our cruise last week. Remember you can also order as many of the other mains or sides to go along with it for free!

Screenshot_2022-08-26-11-24-05-044_com.miui.gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Picture doesn't do it justice but I had this and the lamb chops one night! One night I had the beef and the sea bass. MSC are great for allowing you to order as many Starters, Mains and Desserts as you would like.

20 hours ago, DrSch said:

First Time cruising on MSC, not not familiar with the restaurants

Anyone have thoughts or experiences with this? 

If you have a high level status on any other cruiseline, or even hotel group, you can do a status match. If you haven't done so, it is easy to set up. If you achieve the top level, Diamond, status you are entitled to a free specialty restaurant meal. For Butchers Cut (steakhouse) there is a set menu which works for us. Alternatively you do a la carte and get a 50% discount on pricing with Diamond status.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

If you have a high level status on any other cruiseline, or even hotel group, you can do a status match. If you haven't done so, it is easy to set up. If you achieve the top level, Diamond, status you are entitled to a free specialty restaurant meal. For Butchers Cut (steakhouse) there is a set menu which works for us. Alternatively you do a la carte and get a 50% discount on pricing with Diamond status.

Can I ask how this is booked please? Is it advance or once onboard.

I haven't tried MSC's specialty restaurants yet.  I've found the MDR and buffet to be hit or miss.

We did book the Trilogy (I think it's called) on an incoming cruise which lets us try a fixed menu at 3 specialty restaurants for about $70 per person.  That seemed pretty reasonable to me.  We also have an MSC cruise later in the year and for whatever reason, that same package is $100 per person and I think we'll pass on that.

12 minutes ago, DrSch said:

Just reviewing the diamond benefits now.  Will need to book things quickly when we get on board

DIAMOND MEMBERSHIP10,000 points and more
PRIVILEGES OF PREVIOUS TIER + 

Priority boarding (extendable to cabin occupants)

Specialty Restaurant dinner (no beverages - members + 1 guest of the same cabin no diamond member)

Spumante with Macarons in cabin (1 per cabin per cruise)

Priority disembarkation at end of cruise (extendable to cabin occupants)

Courtesy towelling bathrobe and slippers available during the cruise

Complimentary dancing class

MSC Voyagers Club exclusive Diamond Party

Sweet Chocolate Gift

Late cabin check-out disembarkation (extendable to cabin occupants)

40% off on onboard pictures

20% off on digital accessories

15% off on laundry

GOLD MEMBERSHIPfrom 4,300 to 9,999 points
PRIVILEGES OF PREVIOUS TIER + 

Complimentary one-hour thermal area session once per cruise

Complimentary gift

Priority disembarkation in ports where a tender boat is required

MSC Voyagers Club Photo At The Restaurant

Complimentary birthday cake

30% off on onboard pictures

15% off on digital accessories

10% off on Wi-Fi packages (Browse Cruise / Browse & Stream Cruise)

10% off on laundry

SILVER MEMBERSHIPFROM 2,200 TO 4,299 POINTS
privileges of previous tier + 

Milestone Reward (Tier Upgrade Pin Delivered Onboard)

10% off on digital accessories

5% off on laundry

50€/$ on board credit p.p on all departures for bookings made until 9 months before departure

20% off on onboard pictures

CLASSIC MEMBERSHIPfrom 1 to 2,199 points 

5% cruise discount valid all year round (Extendable to cabin occupants)

Voyagers Exclusives 5+5% on all departures for bookings made until 6 months before departure

MSC Voyagers Club e-newsletter

MSC Voyagers Club personalized luggage tags for embarkation in the e-ticket

MSC Voyagers Club card

MSC Voyagers Club online personal area

MSC Ambassador (online poll)

MSC Voyagers Club Infopoint

Welcome back Cocktail Party

Onboard dedicated number

10% off on onboard pictures

5% off on digital accessories

5% off on Wi-Fi packages (Browse Cruise / Browse & Stream Cruise)

50% discount on the F1 simulator

10% off for Thermal Area Cruise Pass

30% off on the fitness package (Body scan and 1h personal trainer to define the training program for the week)

30% off on the second massage

Free personal consultation spa doctor

10% discount on Minibar

MSC Shops discount: For each 50€ spent in any onboard shops you will benefit of 10€ discount, Discount will be applied at the point of sale. Non-cumulative to other promotions available on board. Valid only the first day of your cruise (tobacco and electronics excluded).